Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-09-2018, 08:44 AM

Default 26 Nosler

What do you think of the 26 Nosler compared to a 6.5 Creedmoor?
Old 07-09-2018, 08:52 AM
Banned

Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 AM

About like comparing the 308win to the 300wby, the only thing they have in common is the caliber.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
About like comparing the 308win to the 300wby, the only thing they have in common is the caliber.
I was figuring like comparing 7.62x39 to 300 wby which equals no comparison.

Last edited by sns2; 07-09-2018 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:44 AM
Banned

I'm right here waiting to hear you tell us how great the 26 Nosler is.

The question is what do you plan on hunting and how far can you accurately shoot? Consistently. Some guys buy a gun that will outshoot their capabilities but think the gun will make up the difference.

Last edited by sns2; 07-09-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Banned

The 26 nosler is about 500 fps better.

Forgot to add "marketing"

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 07-09-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
The 26 nosler is about 500 fps better
In what way? Does it kick less? Does it come in a short action? Is it suitable for a 20-22" barrel? Can you buy a box of factory ammo for $25? Can you develope an accurate load using 40gr of powder? Can you buy 50 brass for under 100 dollars? Does it make animals more dead?

Not everyone measures greatness in fps, some people just want their rifle to kill what they hunt at ranges they hunt in, that would be the catagory I fit in. Some people get offended by that.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:21 AM

No one wants to see a repeat of the 6.5 drama so leave it there. I have edited both of your posts, but have better things to do with my time. If drama starts, I am giving timeouts.

Last edited by sns2; 07-09-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:38 AM
Banned

hornady has data on the 143 gr .625 bc for creedmoor at 2700 fps and nosler has data on the 142 gr .625 bc for about 3000-3200 fps so using 3100 fps you're difference is 400 fps minimum likely up to 500 fps...

in the calculator it's going to have a minimum impact velocity the same as the creedmoor but at least 300 yards further...

I always use the 1600 fps min impact velocity as a worst case max potential and the creedmoor goes 850 yards, the nosler 1150 yards...but you can compare other things too, pbr would be one to consider for your preferences and or you just like to smash things with higher than required velocities in normal ranges, and how much powder to burn to do either job etc.

hope that helps

p.s. if you like something in between those two then look at the 6.5 PRC, it's about 2900 fps with same bullet, and in a short action too
Old 07-09-2018, 11:34 AM
Banned

My thoughts are that the nosler will do everything the creedmore will do but the creedmore won't do everything the nosler will. In terms of performance.
Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
My thoughts are that the nosler will do everything the creedmore will do but the creedmore won't do everything the nosler will. In terms of performance.
stir stir stir

sure, the honda civic vs the corvette

everyone can drive the civic effectively and get the job done(dead is dead), not everyone should be handed the keys to the corvette though

so in those cases (the majority of cases), the civic can, and will do, more than the corvette

cash me owe sigh, how bow dah
Old 07-09-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
That's like saying the .300RUM will do everything a .308win will do, but the .308 won't do everything the 300RUM will do.

Of course that's an inaccurate statement since both have compromises......recoil, muzzleblast, cost and barrel life vs velocity, which means a flatter trajectory and greater power at longer ranges.

Very different beasts that coincidentally share the same bore diameter.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post

in the calculator it's going to have a minimum impact velocity the same as the creedmoor but at least 300 yards further...

I always use the 1600 fps min impact velocity as a worst case max potential and the creedmoor goes 850 yards, the nosler 1150 yards...but you can compare other things too, pbr would be one to consider for your preferences and or you just like to smash things with higher than required velocities in normal ranges, and how much powder to burn to do either job etc.
After decades of hunting I've come to the realization that 800yd shots are never a part of the equation when harvesting game for me. I like to shoot targets at long range, but I don't spend the time practicing nor do I have the proper equipment to attempt long range shots on game.

There are hunting shows like "the best of the west" which are based on long range shooting. They make long range shooting look easy but in reality there is a very small percentage of hunters who have the proper equipment and can pull those types of shots off consistently.

The biggest advantage the 26 Nosler has over the Creedmoor is its pbr. If you're not very good at judging distance, or you don't have a range finder it will help take away the error from miscalculated ranges.

The 26 Nosler is faster, there is no doubt about it but it comes at a price. Look at the speed of the projectile and what it's capable of at any given speed because they both shoot the same projectile.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakoShooter View Post
That's like saying the .300RUM will do everything a .308win will do, but the .308 won't do everything the 300RUM will do.

Of course that's an inaccurate statement since both have compromises......recoil, muzzleblast, cost and barrel life vs velocity, which means a flatter trajectory and greater power at longer ranges.

Very different beasts that coincidentally share the same bore diameter.
That's right. They're two different animals. It all depends on what you're looking for out of a rifle. What someone might value in a chambering another might think it'd a detracter.

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 07-09-2018 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
That's right. They're two different animals. It all depends on what you're looking for out of a rifle. What someone might value in a chambering another might think it'd a detracter.
A guy buys what he likes,not what another guy likes,I think the 26 nosler is a fine choice if that's your thing.Same goes for cm ,if that turns your crank than then great.For my self I would take the 26 nosler in a heart beat,i am not worried about recoil,muzzle blast,wear and tear on barrels,barrels are a dime a dozen and recoil is something my wife doesn't like.

As far as recoil I have shot the 26 nosler and it's nothing at all,plus the 20 pounds of weight I picked up since my accident is the heavy part I carry around hunting .If my rifle is 10 ounces heavier and I shed that 20 pounds of fat I will live much longer and hunt a lot harder,so that gives me a goal to go for.

NW Congrats on your new gun and hope you have a great season,i am sure you will,but cheers anyway.

All this gun buying stuff is making me look real hard,but that will never change no matter what's out there.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:11 PM
Banned

Kurt, i agree.

Nosler recommended minimum impact velocity for the long range accubonds is 1300 fps!!! So theoretical distances are a lot further than what i posted. I just use 1600, some use 1800, some 2000. As long as one uses the same standards then one can see the potential distances of one cartridge to another.

Same with s.d.'s one can gauge which will penetrate better than another.

I shouldn't need to say it again. I only use these figures as ways to compare potential cartridge choices to one another...not to say how far i'd recommend anyone shoot at game, including myself.

It's nice to know a 6.5 creedmoor with about 140 grains will still do what i need to about 800 even though my own personal limits are 75% of that or less with most adequate cartridges.

Also agree the pbr is the single biggest advantage of the nosler over the cm.

The penalty of recoil/muzzle blast/barrel life is always the drawback of going for big time pbr's. They just go hand in hand.

Both are fine cartridges no doubt! Those high b.c.'s and s.d.'s are winners on the way to the target and inside the target too. Long live the 6.5's
Old 07-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
A guy buys what he likes,not what another guy likes,I think the 26 nosler is a fine choice if that's your thing.Same goes for cm ,if that turns your crank than then great.For my self I would take the 26 nosler in a heart beat,i am not worried about recoil,muzzle blast,wear and tear on barrels,barrels are a dime a dozen and recoil is something my wife doesn't like.

As far as recoil I have shot the 26 nosler and it's nothing at all,plus the 20 pounds of weight I picked up since my accident is the heavy part I carry around hunting .If my rifle is 10 ounces heavier and I shed that 20 pounds of fat I will live much longer and hunt a lot harder,so that gives me a goal to go for.

NW Congrats on your new gun and hope you have a great season,i am sure you will,but cheers anyway.

All this gun buying stuff is making me look real hard,but that will never change no matter what's out there.
Thanks and you to.

I find with all the different gun offerings available it can be quite overwhelming and probably very confusing. Some are very similar and some quite different. For a one gun owner it would be a tough decision on what to purchase. Heck even having multiple guns it can be a tough decision on what I want to add to my gun safe. I find it easier to have a list of things I won't have. Ex. 6.5 cm,any thing in a 7mm mag or any kind of a 300 mag. So that leaves a lot of doors open. Lol
Old 07-09-2018, 03:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks and you to.

I find with all the different gun offerings available it can be quite overwhelming and probably very confusing. Some are very similar and some quite different. For a one gun owner it would be a tough decision on what to purchase. Heck even having multiple guns it can be a tough decision on what I want to add to my gun safe. I find it easier to have a list of things I won't have. Ex. 6.5 cm,any thing in a 7mm mag or any kind of a 300 mag. So that leaves a lot of doors open. Lol
Grendel time
Old 07-09-2018, 03:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Coyote View Post
Grendel time
Is that German for beer break?
Old 07-09-2018, 05:18 PM

You guys need to go play outside.
Old 07-09-2018, 05:19 PM
Banned

It’s German for get out your flashlight and start tracking all night
Old 07-09-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
It’s German for get out your flashlight and start tracking all night
Lol!

But seriously, I looked at a 26 Nosler seriously but I held back. Not sure why and I’ll probably bite one day.

I limit my shots to 300 on coyotes and big game alike because that’s where I’m quite comfortable shooting.

Bullet placement is all that really matters and having enough SD and speed to get to/through vitals.

I am a fan of 6.5 anything. I really enjoy my 6.5x55 and it shoots lights out much further than I can.

Having said that it will play second fiddle to one of my .458 high perf ML’s on the upcoming Moose trip.

310 grain pill at 2900 fps .40 G1 BC will put around 3500 pounds energy on target at 300 yards....Bullwinkle isn’t walking away from that!

In someone’s more capable hands it would whack moose at 600 yards with 2000 pounds energy at that distance.

Congrats to the fellow that bought the 26 Nosler - please post your shooting results!
Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpcw View Post
Lol!

But seriously, I looked at a 26 Nosler seriously but I held back. Not sure why and I’ll probably bite one day.

I limit my shots to 300 on coyotes and big game alike because that’s where I’m quite comfortable shooting.

Bullet placement is all that really matters and having enough SD and speed to get to/through vitals.

I am a fan of 6.5 anything. I really enjoy my 6.5x55 and it shoots lights out much further than I can.

Having said that it will play second fiddle to one of my .458 high perf ML’s on the upcoming Moose trip.

310 grain pill at 2900 fps .40 G1 BC will put around 3500 pounds energy on target at 300 yards....Bullwinkle isn’t walking away from that!

In someone’s more capable hands it would whack moose at 600 yards with 2000 pounds energy at that distance.

Congrats to the fellow that bought the 26 Nosler - please post your shooting results!
Where you going moose hunting?

I’ve had 2 26 Noslers and I should have never sold the second one
My buddy has it and if he ever sells it I get first chance
It’s a laser beam. Performance on game is outstanding
Old 07-09-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Northern Quebec.

Should be a hell of a trip.

Speed on the Nosler is interesting. Have you played with lighter bullets?

I’m talking 85-100 grain....
Old 07-09-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Quote:

Guy I work for says the same thing. I think his is a hells canyon Browning. Out to 400 yards pretty much point and shoot. As soon as I get time I'm gonna try it out.
Hopefully no other taxidermy bills this year so I can sneak one into the house without the ol girl finding out.
Old 07-09-2018, 08:56 PM

A friend of ours at the RMH Range bought a X-bolt 26 Nosler for his young son this year.

Fairly long barrel for the long action, the young lad is driving tracks at 600 meters like nothing.

7 1/2 lb scoped with the inter changeable MZ brake or thread on tip protector.

We were shooting 5" clay pigeons this weekend.

His little brother was blasting away with us all weekend too.

Nill for recoil off the bench with the Harrison TR bypods and bunny ear bag.

Those out of the box Brownings rock.

Rightfully so since they are packing a fair price for quality rifle.

Congratulations on your new pipe, you'll be smiling from ear to ear.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:06 PM

The 26 is much harder to load for, much pickier in loads with narrower "nodes". It does drive a 140 a bit over 500fps faster, but some of the bullets like the bergers dont seem to hold together all that well past 3250-3300fps. They shot ok in my 26 just under 3200fps, but the 127lrx had better accuracy. I think the 26 is capable of pushing the bergers harder than what they like. The 26 will push that 127lrx to 3550ish, mine groups best around 3490, under 400 yards thats very flat shooting.

But my 6.5cm will push the 143eldx at 2805 very accurately, and out past 600 yards it carries more energy, speed and has less wind drift than the 127 from my 26. At hunting ranges there isnt much doubt that the 26 is just more than a cm, but long range plinking is all about high bc bullets and less about what you push them with.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:37 PM
Banned

Great info!

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 07-09-2018 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
The 26 is much harder to load for, much pickier in loads with narrower "nodes". It does drive a 140 a bit over 500fps faster, but some of the bullets like the bergers dont seem to hold together all that well past 3250-3300fps. They shot ok in my 26 just under 3200fps, but the 127lrx had better accuracy. I think the 26 is capable of pushing the bergers harder than what they like. The 26 will push that 127lrx to 3550ish, mine groups best around 3490, under 400 yards thats very flat shooting.

But my 6.5cm will push the 143eldx at 2805 very accurately, and out past 600 yards it carries more energy, speed and has less wind drift than the 127 from my 26. At hunting ranges there isnt much doubt that the 26 is just more than a cm, but long range plinking is all about high bc bullets and less about what you push them with.
Did you have 140 Bergers blow up? I have shot hundreds of 140 berger out of my 6.5 Sherman at 3339 fps. Never had a problem. Are you running faster than a 8 twist?
Old 07-10-2018, 06:52 AM
Banned

One of Mine shot the 130 gr bergers better than the 140’s
Factory ammo was probably 3/4 moa
The bergers worked as designed on game
Superb accuracy
Massive expansion
And total energy transfer