Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-03-2020, 02:54 PM

Default Jasper fishing in July

Good Day All.

Doing a "bucket list" cheapo camping trip for 5 days in Jasper. I must say, I am very excited!! We got one of the last sites for the time we wanted before the AB. Budget came out with the increase! I will be going with my adult Son, have a 9 ft Pelican Tender, electric motor, batteries etc.
I tried looking on-line for info on the area. It's pretty sparse other than the older AO forum responses! LOL.
I have read that there can be many people congregating in areas close to campsites and rivers, throwing rocks etc. Not the best for fishing. I have never been up that way and will probably never be able to go back again. I have heard that the second week of July that the rivers may still be running high. So, I guess it's lakes unless we have an early Spring run-off. We would very much appreciate info on the area, maybe a couple of spots that won't be overrun with people, flies to use, possible hatches so I can tie in advance etc.
Not asking for anyones "Honey Holes" but would like to catch some trout. Not really a Pike fisherman but would consider it if suggested. I have access to belly boats to bring as well if there is something "just down that road" to hike into. With my age getting up there, my abilities are not that of a 20 year old anymore. So, hikes of shorter distance, like less than 10kms return would be doable if it were via a good trail or road. I can feel my knees crying already! Haha.
Would any of you be so kind as to point us in the right direction (best areas of Maligne Lake for this time of year maybe) and provide some advice to prepare for the area and hopefully a have great holiday with my Son and catch a few fishies?
PM me if you prefer.
To all the wonderful people here, wishing you a great day, the best of health and my thanks in advance to those that answer.
FHD...aka Rick
Old 04-06-2020, 11:34 AM

Default Jasper fishing in July

Head for Maligne. You have the right gear. Boat, multi electric batteries. It does help to know the lake. One (there are many) good link is https://www.streetdirectory.com/trav..._revealed.html.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:41 AM

Two people out on Maligne in this, I don't think so. That water is cold and will kill you quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-sHeKSIbM

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-06-2020, 02:05 PM

Valley of the Five, fifth lake. Hike in late afternoon when all the tourists are heading out for dinner. Consider renting a boat from in town.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:59 PM

I would 2nd Maligne. There can be some stellar hatches in July. With that size a boat I would target the bay just South of home bay. If you stick to the South side you can tuck into that bay and the fishing is good there in July. Find 20-25 FOW and target the bottom and you should be into brookies.

You can try Pyramid Lake as well. Not as good of fishing as Maligne but still very decent. Lakers are added to the mix. There are some really good hatches in July there as well.

Just previous to Pyramid is Patricia. But, can be a tougher lake. Beautiful lake though and since you are right next to it at Pyramid, give it a shot. Mostly lakers now in there.

And, you heard right about the rivers. I've been there around the long weekend where the Athabasca went from off blue to complete chocolate milk in the same weekend. There is usually a lot of run off in July. Snaring River might be okay but I know next to nothing about that one.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 PM

When you get to town, swing into On-Line Sport and Tackle and chat with the guys there. They have always been great at providing suggestions for the particular conditions.

Valley of five lakes is great. Best fishing I experienced there was bright and early on the 5th lake.

Snaring river can be great as well, but I've only fished it a little later on.

Maligne as everyone else suggested can be incredible.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:24 PM

As is typical of Parks Canada...the new regs that are supposed to be in effect April 1, 2020 are NOT even on their website yet!

I am assuming that no felt boots and no lead in lures or tackle even in your vehicle within 100 yards of waters will apply again.

Valley of the Five is typically a zoo in July...with the virus this year...who knows?
Old 04-07-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
As is typical of Parks Canada...the new regs that are supposed to be in effect April 1, 2020 are NOT even on their website yet!

I am assuming that no felt boots and no lead in lures or tackle even in your vehicle within 100 yards of waters will apply again.

Valley of the Five is typically a zoo in July...with the virus this year...who knows?
Technically, you can't even fish in Jasper National Park right now, as there is no way to buy a license.
Old 04-07-2020, 03:59 PM

I went to Talbot Lake a few years ago and caught my personal best Lake Whitefish on the fly(bloodworm) from my kayak.

We caught quite a few pike on the fly as well.

Pike 25
Walleye 5
Lake Whitefish 6
Suckers 1
Lake Trout 22
Tiger Trout 5
Rainbow Trout 26

20 days fished
18 days fished from my Hobie
Old 04-07-2020, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Technically, you can't even fish in Jasper National Park right now, as there is no way to buy a license.
True....
But this isn't the first year Parks has been late updating their website...been happening for years pre-covid.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Two people out on Maligne in this, I don't think so. That water is cold and will kill you quick.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba-sHeKSIbM
?????
Most people use canoes? I've used a pontoon. What's wrong with a little 10 foot tender....other than you can't use a gas motor.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
?????
Most people use canoes? I've used a pontoon. What's wrong with a little 10 foot tender....other than you can't use a gas motor.
Well it's rated at four hundred and eighty pounds, two adults, battery, trolling motor and fishing gear, would in all likely hood put it over it's payload. Put that on a lake that is ice cold, large and windy. No thanks.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-07-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Well it's rated at four hundred and eighty pounds, two adults, battery, trolling motor and fishing gear, would in all likely hood put it over it's payload. Put that on a lake that is ice cold, large and windy. No thanks.
Gotcha. 480 seems light though. I would have thought 650-700 for a boat that size. Other than the big Scott freighters the guides use most people fish that lake in canoes. I have a buddy that's fished it for many years in a 12 foot sports pal.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
Gotcha. 480 seems light though. I would have thought 650-700 for a boat that size. Other than the big Scott freighters the guides use most people fish that lake in canoes. I have a buddy that's fished it for many years in a 12 foot sports pal.
I fish it a couple of times a season in a 12ft Hobie kayak - usually stick around Home Bay and Rainbow Alley, but have gone 5 or 6 kms down lake and back on a windless day. The tour boat wakes bob you up & down a bit, but I've never had a problem - But then I've stayed off the water if it looks nasty.
The guides in their big freighter canoes don't have much of a choice - the client's paid for a trip, and those big, heavy, beautiful canoes can handle some pretty rough stuff.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:23 PM

I tried booking a campsite but found it to be next to impossible. I gave up. Be nice to fish that lake.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:30 AM

There are no campgrounds at Maligne Lake - except the small ones accessible only by boat, and they're quite far down the lake. Otherwise, Maligne Lake is designated as a 'Day Use Only' area - overnight accommodation was denied to the commercial operator there recently, I don't even think there's any staff accommodation permitted there.

It makes it difficult for those of us that like to be on the water at first, and last light. It means that we have to travel the long access road in and out - the early dawn, and late dusk darkness, when animals are most active, and hardest to see. But I can understand why - I doubt there's a night goes by, that bears don't patrol the many parking lots there for food carelessly left behind/discarded. If there was a campground there, it would quickly become a real bear habituation problem.

My fear this year is that the entire Maligne Lake access road may be closed due to this Covid thing. It's just a one-way road accessing an area for sightseeing and recreation - not an 'essential' route, for essential activities. The lakeshore can get quite congested at peak periods, and would be difficult to police or restrict.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
My fear this year is that the entire Maligne Lake access road may be closed due to this Covid thing. It's just a one-way road accessing an area for sightseeing and recreation - not an 'essential' route, for essential activities.
In order to limit the spread of COVID-19, Parks Canada is asking Canadians to stay home. Anyone considering a visit to a Parks Canada location should cancel their plans. All visitor services and facilities remain closed and all motor vehicle access by visitors is suspended until further notice.

Maligne Lake road is now closed to ALL access just past the canyon...(including vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians) until further notice.

Open In July?....anyone's guess...
Old 04-09-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
In order to limit the spread of COVID-19, Parks Canada is asking Canadians to stay home. Anyone considering a visit to a Parks Canada location should cancel their plans. All visitor services and facilities remain closed and all motor vehicle access by visitors is suspended until further notice.

Maligne Lake road is now closed to ALL access just past the canyon...(including vehicles, bicycles, and pedestrians) until further notice.

Open In July?....anyone's guess...
Yep, first year I booked ahead on campgrounds at Jasper. I have 5 bookings spread out. Who knows. Big maybe for the earlier dates for sure.