Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-26-2009, 07:11 AM

Default Bow river this weekend

I am planning to head down to calgary to fish the bow this weekend. I was wondering if anyone in the area could comment on water conditions in the river. After all the snowfall i'm curious if the river is still fishable. Thanks in advance for any info.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Banned

Clear as a bell this morning. Got 2 rainbows nymphing below 22x.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 AM

Thats the best news i've heard all month. Finally an answer to the 4 months of cabin fever. A morning at bass pro and afternoon on the bow..ahhh.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:39 PM

ya, looks good. Talk with my friend who's been going (and catching fish) and I'll be on the river this weekend too. Where abouts you headed?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:41 PM

It's iced up mostly in town above the wier. Went to Okotoks and back this morning and looked in good shape south of 22x.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Good to here, heading down Saturday mourning, anybody been up around Canmore recently?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekker59 View Post
ya, looks good. Talk with my friend who's been going (and catching fish) and I'll be on the river this weekend too. Where abouts you headed?
I'm not sure where we're headed yet dekker. Possibly down below 22x. I've never fished the bow before so it'll be a learning experience. What about you?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM

Maybe we'll see you there. We're going to be trying the Bow this weekend too. Think we are going to head south of 22x too.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:04 AM

I've mostly fished up by Bearspaw Dam. Went once where highwood river and the Bow meet. When we got home, went back and checked my regs and I had kept a fish I shouldn't have. Had the regs with me earlier, and didn't read it properly.

I like the whitefish I get out of the bearspaw though.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
I've mostly fished up by Bearspaw Dam. Went once where highwood river and the Bow meet. When we got home, went back and checked my regs and I had kept a fish I shouldn't have. Had the regs with me earlier, and didn't read it properly.

I like the whitefish I get out of the bearspaw though.
I checked the regs for you. That fish was perfectly legal. You didn't make any mistake. Nice fish.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 AM

depends what kind of fish it was and when it was caught . Rockies are legal anytime though ,except when its closed of course
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 AM

I forget exactly what the deal was. I caught two rainbow's and I think the lengths were what the problem was. Somthing about us being right at the river confluence too...

It was 4 years ago I think, all I really remember now was that I felt like a sinner...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 PM

Default eating

are the rainbows good to eat coming out of the bow south of 22x?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:17 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by usie33 View Post
are the rainbows good to eat coming out of the bow south of 22x?
when i fished there in the early 00's it was C&R only...I believe...even if it wasn't....something about living downstream from a million people...yuck!!!....however may be wrong... have some great pics and lifelong memories ...at least I'm back in the good books with HPF, floated it many times....no better way to spend a full day...
Old 03-29-2009, 08:31 AM

Well we tried the bow yesterday. Arrived on the river at around noon and fished downstream from the 22x bridge for the afternoon. It was overcast chilly and windy. Didn't have any luck at all. Was a tough day of fishing all in all but it was really nice to get out and cast in to open water. I talked to some fellas that had been on the river all day and they were saying they had no luck either.

We also stopped at basspro on the way...That place is phenomenal in my opinion. I talked to the fella in the fly fishing section and he said they had missed a fly rack in the order so there was only half of their fly selection out right now. He was also ordering many more fly tying materials also. Overall I thought the store was great. Good service amazing mounts and awesome fudge.