Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Should Dolberg Lake have a minimum length limit for retention?
Yes 41 74.55%
No 14 25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2016, 10:13 AM

Default Poll Dolberg Lake

I went to dolberg for the first time and it is a great fishing lake!.... Caught and released many of this years stock.

While I was there this weekend I observed some (not fishing but running around boat launch area with water guns and being a nuisance) and in their fish basket hanging off of the dock they had probably close to 30 fish in it. I only saw one that would be from a previous year's stocking. I see this lake as getting hammered....

Looking at this lake and the potential it has, I observed many fish broaching and rising that were in the 5+ lb mark that I just could not seem to entice onto my hook so I don't think the lake is prone to winterkill. Also I noticed the fish I released immediately swim away with lots of energy so I think the oxygen levels even though it is warm right now are good.

The reason for the poll is that I think this lake would be very suitable as a "trophy fishery" or at least put a length limit on it so that there is a better chance of fish surviving beyond their first year.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:00 AM

I always heard Dolberg was a lake that produced large trout. Couldn't hurt to keep it that way. Lots of other stocked lakes to fill the creel with. Fred Noddin always writes about this lake. Have to get there one day.
Old 08-02-2016, 11:11 AM

This should probably be in the fishing section.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Any lake in Alberta that has the capacity to grow and over winter rainbows without aeration should be managed as a Quality, Trophy lake with better restrictions on limits, sizes, bait and motors. There are lots of Put and Take lakes in the province for those that want 10 inches to eat. SRD just doesn't get it and it will take a lot of lobbying to get them to see the wisdom of better management of lakes like Dolberg, Chain (Athabasca region) and others. It is just common sense.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:08 AM

Dolberg like Carson used to be great trout lakes. Then they developed campgrounds at them and now heavily stock them as well. They are still good lakes but will struggle to grow big fish now like they used to back in the day.

If they reduced number of fish stocked and changed limit to 1 over 50 cm or something like that these lakes would produce a number of nice fish but the chances of that happening on these lakes is slim to none...

AEP doesn't like quality trout fisheries, very annoying as there are many lakes in AB that could be great trophy lakes but only if they are protected from the masses and managed properly.

There are a ton of sloughs AEP could stock as catch and keep lakes if they figure they need more of them I don't get why we sacrifice our good lakes but hey that is AEP for you.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Dolberg like Carson used to be great trout lakes. Then they developed campgrounds at them and now heavily stock them as well. They are still good lakes but will struggle to grow big fish now like they used to back in the day.

If they reduced number of fish stocked and changed limit to 1 over 50 cm or something like that these lakes would produce a number of nice fish but the chances of that happening on these lakes is slim to none...

AEP doesn't like quality trout fisheries, very annoying as there are many lakes in AB that could be great trophy lakes but only if they are protected from the masses and managed properly.

There are a ton of sloughs AEP could stock as catch and keep lakes if they figure they need more of them I don't get why we sacrifice our good lakes but hey that is AEP for you.
A lot of truth there. I asked our local bio. a few years ago about another QF in our region, closer to Cal. He told me that as long as he was head bio. for our region there would not be another QF in his area. He said the meat hunters were constantly complaining about the QFs.
He's gone now so who knows.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 PM

Always thought if they mixed stalk maybe brook trout and rainbows out a size limit on rainbows and let the people clean out the brook trout once there some to bad. Either that or size limit on certain lakes.
Emerald lake use to be great to but the size has went down compared to what it was.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:14 AM

If you guys realize that rainbow trout have a hard time to recover after being caught they cannot be out of water for a short time so by the time you measure them yhey are dead measuring trout is a joke
Old 08-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher67 View Post
If you guys realize that rainbow trout have a hard time to recover after being caught they cannot be out of water for a short time so by the time you measure them yhey are dead measuring trout is a joke
I suggest you work on your fish handling techniques,if when you measure trout it's a automatic death sentence...
Old 08-05-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
I suggest you work on your fish handling techniques,if when you measure trout it's a automatic death sentence...
I agree lol
Old 08-05-2016, 02:53 PM

No size limit. These lakes are stocked with sterile fish that are meant to be kept to take the pressure off lakes that still have natural fish. This province is screwed you can barely keep a fish now days, you got to put in for a limited draw to keep a walleye ? Absolutely nuts how bad things have gotten. Keep a fish???? that is what lakes like dolberg are for.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaman View Post
lol .... I agree.

When you look at mortality in C&R fish, considering the hook you use, how you handle/remove the hook, if it's taken bait down deep, how long it was played, etc... removing a fish from the water is only one factor for consideration.

I'm pretty sure most good sportsmen learn to handle the fish and remove the hook in the water, and ................. maybe not use those silly paper tape measures that disintegrate in the water ..... lol.

If the fish is to lively for you to measure it in the water - it will be just fine most of the time if you need to lift it up and out for a quick measure. If it's docile and played out it's pretty easy to get a relatively accurate reading by holding the tape (or using a cradle with a measuring handle on it) to get a reading close enough.
Old 08-07-2016, 09:50 AM

Default I agree

Dolberg needs a different set of regs to include slot size bag limit and bait ban , but...... No one gives a care around here about fishing it's pretty sad . Wtf is a fishery if it's not a quality one , a terrible one for ignorant fishermen . I'm in bc right and just read the regulations book .... its pretty clear Alberta is far behind in its fisheries management with little to know logic behind the decisions made. Hats off to bc for preserve ring fish stocks for future generations
Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
Dolberg needs a different set of regs to include slot size bag limit and bait ban , but...... No one gives a care around here about fishing it's pretty sad . Wtf is a fishery if it's not a quality one , a terrible one for ignorant fishermen . I'm in bc right and just read the regulations book .... its pretty clear Alberta is far behind in its fisheries management with little to know logic behind the decisions made. Hats off to bc for preserve ring fish stocks for future generations
This a good one.
I have had a lot of fun fishing Dolberg in the past, I considered it probably the best trout fishery close to Edmonton. It is nice to fish there because it is actually a lake, big enough and deep enough to avoid winter or summer kill.
I support tightening up regulations on it. Not to be a fly snob, but make it fly only (like soooo many great trout lakes in BC), one over 50cm, no gas motors, reduce stocking numbers, and watch the trout get BIG. And give people somewhere to go and have the opportunity to catch 10lb rainbows.
Honestly, trout in these lakes taste terrible anyway.
Alberta is definately not progressive in its thinking on fisheries, and the hillbilly attitude of needing to keep these stocked lakes as complete put and take lakes is ridiculous. If you want to eat fish sooo bad, go and buy a nice fresh sockeye, it will be cheaper than an outing to catch trout, and taste light years better.
Hey, why don't we just stock walleyes in there, put and take those stupid fish.
Albertas hard on for walleye is also ridiculous...
Old 08-07-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan View Post
This a good one.
I have had a lot of fun fishing Dolberg in the past, I considered it probably the best trout fishery close to Edmonton. It is nice to fish there because it is actually a lake, big enough and deep enough to avoid winter or summer kill.
I support tightening up regulations on it. Not to be a fly snob, but make it fly only (like soooo many great trout lakes in BC), one over 50cm, no gas motors, reduce stocking numbers, and watch the trout get BIG. And give people somewhere to go and have the opportunity to catch 10lb rainbows.
Honestly, trout in these lakes taste terrible anyway.
Alberta is definately not progressive in its thinking on fisheries, and the hillbilly attitude of needing to keep these stocked lakes as complete put and take lakes is ridiculous. If you want to eat fish sooo bad, go and buy a nice fresh sockeye, it will be cheaper than an outing to catch trout, and taste light years better.
Hey, why don't we just stock walleyes in there, put and take those stupid fish.
Albertas hard on for walleye is also ridiculous...
I don't get fisherman's love affair with walleye either, pike are in general bigger, fight harder, and don't require bait.

I am a big fan of QF, kids love them because they can catch decent size fish that fight instead of sardines. Teaching them about sustainable fisheries is a bonus.

Sadly in a province with as little water as Ab. has, managing fisheries for size and enjoyment is a foreign concept.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-07-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I don't get fisherman's love affair with walleye either, pike are in general bigger, fight harder, and don't require bait.

I am a big fan of QF, kids love them because they can catch decent size fish that fight instead of sardines. Teaching them about sustainable fisheries is a bonus.

Sadly in a province with as little water as Ab. has, managing fisheries for size and enjoyment is a foreign concept.
The bios in Alberta are clueless

Let's spend the whole budget on walleye enhancement, ya, that will make the slack jawed folks happy,
Old 08-07-2016, 08:18 PM

Walleye are the favourite from days past because they are the best eating fish in Alberta(Perch arguably).

The focus should not be on walleye unless they plan on opening them up to retention again though.

As for trout there are lakes that could be stocked with trout. Why was Hasse stopped and tried to switch over to walleye etc? Who cares if it overwinters, stock it with trout and it can be one of the catch and keep lakes. What about Lake Isle, if it is right dead(don't think it is but if it was) then it would make a good convert to a trout lake. I am sure there are a number of other lakes that could be stocked with trout as well. Fill all the non wintering lakes with catch and keep fish and leave lakes like Dolberg, East Pit, Star and others that have overwintering capabilities as trophy fisheries instead of trying to make sloughs like Muir into quality fisheries...
Old 08-07-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Walleye are the favourite from days past because they are the best eating fish in Alberta(Perch arguably).

The focus should not be on walleye unless they plan on opening them up to retention again though.

As for trout there are lakes that could be stocked with trout. Why was Hasse stopped and tried to switch over to walleye etc? Who cares if it overwinters, stock it with trout and it can be one of the catch and keep lakes. What about Lake Isle, if it is right dead(don't think it is but if it was) then it would make a good convert to a trout lake. I am sure there are a number of other lakes that could be stocked with trout as well. Fill all the non wintering lakes with catch and keep fish and leave lakes like Dolberg, East Pit, Star and others that have overwintering capabilities as trophy fisheries instead of trying to make sloughs like Muir into quality fisheries...
Agreed,

Fishing in Alberta is a joke as compared to BC,
We manage to screw up everything and stock useless walleye by the millions, on a catch and release system, and watch the pike wither up and die,
Why do we put walleye on top?