Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2017, 10:09 AM

Default Kayaking The McLeod River

We are looking to do an overnighter kayak trip, from Hwy 32 bridge near Peers, to the town of Whitecourt.

Anybody with experience canoeing or kayaking this stretch, care to share info?

Where are the worst rapids?

Best camping spots?

How long? Is this a 1 day or 2 day trip?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-06-2017, 06:58 AM

That far would be a 2 day I would think, very long day of continuous paddling to try and do it in one day. No idea on the other details regarding camping, rapids etc. Scout it out good on google and bing maps to try and figure those things out.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:05 AM

^ Thnx RavYak, I believe it probably is a 2 day trip.

I intend to take enough water, food for 3 days, just in case.

My wife and I each have Pelican Catch 120 kayaks, which are 11'8". I believe we will have no problem outfitting for a 2 day trip.

We have a small 3-person tent, roll out inflatable sleeping pads, inflatable pillows.
I bought a very compact butane stove, just taking 1 small pan and 1 small pot.

Bear spray... K-Bar... Fiskar hatchet...

Going to go as light as possible (to make more room for beer... j/k)

The stuff I have read about it, always references a 'Moose Creek' rapids, which I've never been sure where it is. Story is it's about the roughest spot along the river.

I have scanned the Google satellite pics quite a bit, but those are inconsistent.

Anybody with more detailed info, personal experience with this trip, I'd love to hear from you.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-06-2017, 10:05 AM

Try bing maps. They are often better detail I find.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:18 AM

Might have better luck on a jet boat forum. Try and find someone that's run it in a jet boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2017, 10:24 AM

There's Jetboat forums!?

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-06-2017, 10:57 AM

Mean chicken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2017, 10:58 AM

Outlaw jet boats in Alberta has a forum too
Old 07-07-2017, 07:59 AM

Well what we have decided is to put in at Rosevear Ferry, after some nice feedback from a member here in a pm.

Going to prep all our gear, food, fluid requirements Tueday, then Wed we'll head out.
I'm expecting to spend 2 nights camping, 3 days floating.

Going to squeeze in as much Walleye fishing as I can...

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-07-2017, 08:17 AM

Ive run my jet boat down that stretch lots, nice easy float on a canoe. Lots of camping spots as you go, I believe on the backroads map it shows a paddling route. pm if you need a drop off spot, im usually out there every weekend
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 AM

There will be no rapids will be all flat slow water if you dtart that far down
Old 07-07-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragless View Post
There will be no rapids will be all flat slow water if you start that far down

That suits me fine! Not much of a fan of rapids anyway...

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post

The stuff I have read about it, always references a 'Moose Creek' rapids, which I've never been sure where it is. Story is it's about the roughest spot along the river.

)
Moose creek rapids are upstream of the bridge on Highway 16. I can't remember how far. I paddled it with a youth group when I was 12 over 37 years ago.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:41 AM

Prepping for our trip, first order of business was, how do I make coffee?

I considered the options, and went with a French Press. The one I bought is made by Woods. It is all metal, which appealed to me, as I shouldn't have any worry about it breaking. Also, the brewing cup can be placed right on the stove, and heat the water right in it.

The kit comes in a nice little nylon bag, and there is a SS grinder with it.

I bought some ho-hum Nabob coffee bins, put them in the grinder, and fracked up a brew.

It was darn good, first attempt was an unqualified success!

Second thing, a buddy suggested getting something to purify water.

I bought a Katadyn water filtration pump. The claim is that it removes all 'nasties'. No need to carry a bunch of water. All we need is 2 water bottles, and good to go.

I've got 2 more (12 hour) shifts to work, then Tuesday the wife and I will assemble all our kit, decide exactly what items we must take. Then we are going to pull the boats out, and practice loading all our gear.

I'm going to attempt to weigh everything.

I was trying to convince the wife, last night, that there should be more gear put into her boat, since she weighs 120 lbs, while I am 240 lbs... she doesn't see the logic of that. Hmmm...

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-09-2017, 08:09 AM

Moose creek rapids is upstream from the bridge, just up from River Ridge Estate - surprisingly right where the Moose Creek enters the river.
I've not done this paddle yet but it is suggested to do it during moderate water levels. Right now should be good but in a week or two water might be low enough to make it a tough slog. Camping spots are not readily available on this stretch, if you see a good spot and you are anywhere near half way, take it.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:42 PM

Junglefisher, I looked and looked on the maps for Moose Creek. But obviously was looking in the wrong place...

I read another story of a canoe trip down the river and from that I thought it was somewhere in the stretch after the Hwy 32 bridge.

I'm happy it's up by Edson cuz I have no interest in shooting any rapids.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 07-09-2017, 11:47 PM

Had my car broken into once at the ferry there, while down stream fishing. Just a heads up
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 AM

We are not leaving our vehicle there. A buddy is driving to the Ferry, dropping us off.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-01-2018, 09:32 AM

This past weekend my wife and I made this trip, from Hwy 32 bridge near Peers, down to Whitecourt. July 28-29-30.

We both were paddling Pelican Catch 120 kayaks, which are 12 footers. There was no problem at all to carry enough gear between our 2 boats.

We stored all our gear in drybags that I got at MEC.

We used a Katadyn water purification system.

First bit of info, the water was at above average flow rate. But I have not used the APP for the McLeod water flow. I know there is one that you can reference.

First day we paddled 7 hours, and pitched camp just along the river. Our tent was literally 8' from the water's edge, but was 2' above the water. So no issue, except the noise of the rapids we camped beside.

Huge fog on the water the next morning, heavy dew on everything. If it had poured rain our gear, tent, kayaks etc couldn't have been any wetter. This delayed our departure a couple hours, as the wife wanted everything cleaned and dried before packing.

Paddled at 09:00 on the second day. We wanted to reach Groat Creek, that day, as we know that stretch of river, and would be comfortable in knowing how log it would take to reach Whitecourt.

And we made it to Groat Creek by 18:00, so 9 hours paddling that day.

Again made a nice dry camp, just above Groat Creek.

Day 3, it took us 4-1/2 hours to paddle the last stretch from Groat Creek down to Hwy 43 landing at Whitecourt. There was one change in the conditions, which was a pretty good breeze was coming up, and down near Whitecourt there are several flat stretches of water, where you have to paddle against that breeze.

Notes: There are more Bald Eagles on the McLeod River, than any place I've been except Alaska.
We saw Kingfishers, Osprey, Mule Deer, Whitetails, Moose.

The weather was hot; 28-32C in the daytime, 10-14C at night. No escape from the sun, during the days.

There are spectacular canyons/cliffs in the waters below Hwy 32. A lot of slow, wide areas, with deep pools, big bends in the river. Some nice rapids but with the river flow rates, no problems at all.
I would say in lower water levels, these might be more problematic, as more rocks would be exposed, might drag the boats some.

As the water was a bit higher than normal, it was a bit 'stained' in colour, so fishing wasn't spectacular, but I managed to catch 3 walleye and 1 pike. Wasn't really focussed on fishing however.

In lower water flow rates, I could easily see this trip taking 4-5 days.

Bottomline: We are already talking about doing this trip again.

Edit to add... I videoed this trip with my GoPro, when I get that put together I may post it here.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Referenced the Aberta River Basins Flow Reports for the McLeod R. @ https://rivers.alberta.ca/
For our trip the flow rates were: July 28 94.04m3/s, July29 81.31m3/s and July 30 69.9m3/s.

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-02-2018, 11:46 AM

I Lived in Edson for 4 years and very much enjoy the Mcleod and the other waterways in that area...

Awesome thread. Thank you for this. Post pics please...
Old 08-02-2018, 01:02 PM

Sorry, ever since the demise of Photobucket, I don't know how to post pics...

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-02-2018, 02:11 PM

Darlene paddling on the McLeod R., July 28 2018

And getting some sun...

Morning July 29 Riverside Camp

Evening, July 29 Groat Creek Camp

Morning July 30, Groat Creek Camp

Darlene July 30, Groat Creek Camp. Heading out...

McLeod Tubing Landmark #2

Phil Shoemaker
Old 08-02-2018, 03:03 PM

Looks like a great time. Thank you for this.