Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-31-2018, 04:17 PM

Default Be careful Bill

Hey Bill glad there are people like you that really have such a high respect for nature and what is right.However here is a true story about what can happen when good people try and do what seems to be the right thing to do.Summer of 2014 my uncle was floating down the Red Deer River and came upon a group of guys pickers rig fishing along shore,beer cans and garbage everywhere he claims,there jet boat parked along the bank.My uncle bless his heart is a real good guy but is a hot head.He decides to come to shore and he claims he was real pollute and said he warned them about bait fishing and says he told them they should pick up there garbage.Im sure he wasn't polite lol.Anyways one of the guys bait fishing puts down his fishing rod and says he's going to the boat to get a garbage bag to pick the cans up.Then the unthinkable happens,he grabs a rifle and points it at my uncle and tells him grab the bag and start picking up there own garbage.Police were called and police report filled out but no bad guys ever got caught.Be careful man
Old 07-31-2018, 07:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
You really need to take a pill and calm the hell down...

Your reaction was so over the top I’m pretty sure buddy with the salted minnows just thinks you’re a bit “off” and any opportunity you had to actually get through to him was lost...

Too bad, it was a good opportunity to explain to him the legalities of that section of river. It sounds like there is some confusion by more than just him as to what can be used there.
Listen hear, I didn’t so much as yell at or threaten this goof but if you want defend loser poachers who set up shop 30’ upstream of where I was fishing LAWFULLY fill yer dang boots! Would you be happy if some poached thirty feet upstream of you?
Good to see so many on here on the poachers side, as for confusion, there was 0% on my part!
As for my rage I contained it, believe me.
I was astonished that someone would have the audacity to do what he did, there wasn’t a souls for miles up or down stream, but no, he had to go thirty feet upstream of me, which ticked me off, but, then to see he was poaching on top of it?
Of course I was mad!
You guys can make all you want, just shows what of people you are.
Seriously, who sides with someone like that over the guy doing the right thing?

Last edited by wildbill; 07-31-2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Listen hear, I didn’t so much as yell at or threaten this goof but if you want defend loser poachers who set up shop 30’ upstream of where I was fishing LAWFULLY fill yer dang boots! Would you be happy if some poached thirty feet upstream of you?
Good to see so many on here on the poachers side, as for confusion, there was 0% on my part!
I was astonished that someone would have the audacity to do what he did, there wasn’t a souls for miles up or down stream, but no, he had to go thirty feet upstream of me, which ticked me off, but, then to see he was poaching on top of it?
Of course I was mad!
I didn’t read anything about guys defending the poacher and I read the whole thread. What I see is people ribbing you and offering polite thoughts about your attitude towards others. If you have that much rage build up with incidents like this I really hope all you own is a fishing rod.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
I didn’t read anything about guys defending the poacher and I read the whole thread. What I see is people ribbing you and offering polite thoughts about your attitude towards others. If you have that much rage build up with incidents like this I really hope all you own is a fishing rod.
The rage is what I felt, I contained it, and did not convey it in my voice or actions!!!!
Old 07-31-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The rage is what I felt, I contained it, and did not convey it in my voice or actions!!!!
You can’t even contain the rage on this forum. It comes through loud and clear. It blinds you to the point you can’t even comprehend what people are writing on here or the message they are trying to get through to you...
Old 07-31-2018, 11:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

There should be no rage in catching a fella fishing illegally, maybe a polite engagement, a conversation, education on whats legal etc then if the individual continues on fishing illegally report them.
I have come across some honest mistakes made them myself....
People are ribbing you on your thread because they have visions of the "champ" which is funny but really not the right approach in a real life like situation.
Some even say be careful on who you approach while out and about some of them thier elevator got stuck on the third floor of a 20 story building.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-01-2018, 01:47 AM

Its not really poaching. Sort of hard to poach something if you released it. Not to mention if he was treaty, you just went ape**** for nothing.... sounds like you've spent more time yelling, phoning , and writing this story than you did fishing. You better stay in side and watch wild tv
Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Of course I was mad!
You guys can make all you want, just shows what of people you are.
Seriously, who sides with someone like that over the guy doing the right thing?
Thankfully wild Willy is all talk.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Twister View Post
Its not really poaching. Sort of hard to poach something if you released it. Not to mention if he was treaty, you just went ape**** for nothing.... sounds like you've spent more time yelling, phoning , and writing this story than you did fishing. You better stay in side and watch wild tv
Well actually, treaty must follow regulations when angling with rod and reel.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
So anyway was fly fishin fer walleye on the section of the river between the 509 and cottonwood campground today, and low and behold this guy comes a Rollin down the hill with a huge tackle box and says do mind if I fish upstream, “I says sure whatever man” he’s usin an ultra light with a jig, it almost looked like a minnow (no bait allowed in that stretch) then he catches an eye, I says “what are you usin?” (It seemed he was bein elusive) he says “salted minnows” blew a cog, we’re talkin plant upset here, tunnel vision kill mode, stay calm, count to ten, shaking with anger, long story short i reemed this guy out for a good ten minutes straight can’t even think I’m so ticked off, “oh I let the fish go” wasn’t the answer I was lookin fer, I leave, can’t think straight, take a picture of his license plate, call the hotline, give the nice lady the info, next call from constable so and so, he says “he is actually indeed fishing lawfully” I’m floored, I says “the section between the 509 and Cottonwood has got a bait ban” he says “I’ve had several complaints about the same stretch this morning” I says “the 509 is at Kipp hey?” He says “I’ll look at a map and call you back.”
Ten minutes later he calls and said “you were right” and asked for buddies info, goes to show, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
And sometimes the learners need learnins!
i know for a fact i wouldn't listen to you for ten min of yelling don't think. That being said good for you
Old 08-01-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
So anyway was fly fishin fer walleye on the section of the river between the 509 and cottonwood campground today, and low and behold this guy comes a Rollin down the hill with a huge tackle box and says do mind if I fish upstream, “I says sure whatever man” he’s usin an ultra light with a jig, it almost looked like a minnow (no bait allowed in that stretch) then he catches an eye, I says “what are you usin?” (It seemed he was bein elusive) he says “salted minnows” blew a cog, we’re talkin plant upset here, tunnel vision kill mode, stay calm, count to ten, shaking with anger, long story short i reemed this guy out for a good ten minutes straight can’t even think I’m so ticked off, “oh I let the fish go” wasn’t the answer I was lookin fer, I leave, can’t think straight, take a picture of his license plate, call the hotline, give the nice lady the info, next call from constable so and so, he says “he is actually indeed fishing lawfully” I’m floored, I says “the section between the 509 and Cottonwood has got a bait ban” he says “I’ve had several complaints about the same stretch this morning” I says “the 509 is at Kipp hey?” He says “I’ll look at a map and call you back.”
Ten minutes later he calls and said “you were right” and asked for buddies info, goes to show, the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
And sometimes the learners need learnins!
Quote:
I dunno, man... Seems like the anger may have been conveyed a little bit

As for the "Poacher Defenders", I haven't seen any... Instead I've seen people a bit more worried about your approach, especially with the types of scallywags that are out and about these days. I'd have had a conversation, but more of a reminder, and let them know they can't use bait in this section. As said, if the issue persisted, I'd then report them.

J
Old 08-01-2018, 10:03 AM

Hmmmn just last week we watch a video of a guy berating a women for parking in a handicap spot. Boyfriend comes out knocks guy down and bang bang youre dead. Youre lucky this weeks story wasn't " and after enduring a 10 minute rant the started fisherman/poacher pulled out a gun/ knife and offed the attacker. Body was found downstream by passerby who noticed seagulls feasting.
Good on you to report but your risking your life with the nutbars out there these days.
And as an aside did you ever think that maybe the guy really didn't know that bait was illegal in that stretch. After all you tyourself said the officer you called didnt know that that stretch was a bait ban. If the law doesnt know it then just perhaps, maybe the person didn;t either. Not an excuse for the person but perhaps a response of " Hey are you aware that this stretch of river has a bait ban and your salted minnows are illegal and will get you a fine?" " Geez no I didnt, thanks alot for the heads up I'll put stop that right away.
Seems so many want to fly off the handle these days
Old 08-01-2018, 10:04 AM

Hmmmn just last week we watch a video of a guy berating a women for parking in a handicap spot. Boyfriend comes out knocks guy down and bang bang youre dead. Youre lucky this weeks story wasn't " and after enduring a 10 minute rant the started fisherman/poacher pulled out a gun/ knife and offed the attacker. Body was found downstream by passerby who noticed seagulls feasting.
Good on you to report but your risking your life with the nutbars out there these days.
And as an aside did you ever think that maybe the guy really didn't know that bait was illegal in that stretch. After all you yourself said the officer you called didnt know that that stretch was a bait ban. If the law doesnt know it then just perhaps, maybe the person didn;t either. Not an excuse for the person but perhaps a response of " Hey are you aware that this stretch of river has a bait ban and your salted minnows are illegal and will get you a fine?" " Geez no I didnt, thanks alot for the heads up I'll put stop that right away.
Seems so many want to fly off the handle these days
Old 08-01-2018, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzy View Post
And as an aside did you ever think that maybe the guy really didn't know that bait was illegal in that stretch. After all you yourself said the officer you called didnt know that that stretch was a bait ban. If the law doesnt know it then just perhaps, maybe the person didn;t either. Not an excuse for the person but perhaps a response of " Hey are you aware that this stretch of river has a bait ban and your salted minnows are illegal and will get you a fine?" " Geez no I didnt, thanks alot for the heads up I'll put stop that right away.
Seems so many want to be a hero these days
Fixed it for you.
Old 08-02-2018, 03:32 PM

Perfect !!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I was astonished that someone would have the audacity to do what he did, there wasn’t a souls for miles up or down stream, but no, he had to go thirty feet upstream of me, which ticked me off, but,......
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!!!!

The main reason wildbill became wild-eyed bill.