Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM
Banned

Default Challenging the Resident License Test?

I've got access to about 10 quarters around here and I was thinking that trapping a few yotes would be a good pastime this winter. I checked out the regs and the info at the Alberta Trapper's Association website and see that I can pick up a copy of the current Alberta Trappers Manual, which is available from the Association for approximately $40 (price subject to change).

I have no experience with trapping other than setting snares for rabbits so I'm as green as they come. What I was wondering is, if a fella of average intelligence but no experience was to put in the study time, how hard would the F&W multiple question test be?

Trapping yotes would just be a pastime for me so I'd like to keep the cost of getting started up to a minimum. Thanks.
Old 10-09-2013, 08:40 PM

Test isn't hard. I challenged mine last winter and passed just fine. Never trapping before and I got 3 foxes and 6 coyotes just power snaring and one leg trap at one bait pile. Between YouTube and trapper forums it's easy to learn the basics. I already have my first coyote down in a dirt hole set this season.

I recommend starting with snaring. Don't have to check them everyday and they are cheap.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Banned

Thanks Phil. I'm going to go the route of self study and challenging the test. I was thinking about buying/using snares for yotes as well. What were you using for bait? I was thinking about saving some of the guts from my deer/moose this year and freezing it. What other cheap bait would you recommend?
Old 10-09-2013, 11:16 PM

Butcher shop scraps and road kills. Any kind of food from the kitchen will work. Even if it isn't something a coyote will eat, it will attract crows and magpies, which will in turn make the yotes curious and check out the bail pile
Old 10-15-2013, 06:46 AM

Sure the test is not too hard, in fact I believe it is too easy... The ATA course is still a very smart idea, whether it leads to your license, or even improves your techniques after you pass the challenge test. There really is a lot to this game, and you would recoup the course costs quickly.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:20 PM

Personally I wish the course was mandatory. Challenging the exam is not in your best interest long term, hope you can take a course sometime in the future. I've been through three of them and have learned something everytime.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Thanks Phil. I'm going to go the route of self study and challenging the test. I was thinking about buying/using snares for yotes as well. What were you using for bait? I was thinking about saving some of the guts from my deer/moose this year and freezing it. What other cheap bait would you recommend?
No experience... Taking the course should be considered. Not saying a person can't learn from a book, but book smart sometimes doesn't mean much in the bush.

You mention snaring yappers, and asking what you are using for bait.
The way I snare coyotes, snaring does not require any bait. A bait pile can be used to attract coyotes and winged scavengers but definitely not necessary.
I can set 10 snares with no bait and collect 5 to 7 coyotes within a week or two.
My best ever was 14 yappers from 16 snares set and checked only for three days.

Trapping takes a few years to master, even more years if you have not taken the course. Why learn by trial and error when you can trap more accurately and efficiently from the start by taking the course? The pelt preparation inclass module can give a new trapper alot of insight on skinning and forming too.

Please re-consider just challenging the exam.

Last edited by Red Bullets; 10-17-2013 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM

Does anyone know when and where the next ATA trappers course will be held? Also how many hours it runs?

Thx
Old 10-21-2013, 05:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Does anyone know when and where the next ATA trappers course will be held? Also how many hours it runs?

Thx
You should be able to find the course dates here pikeslayer22:

http://www.albertatrappers.com/trapper-courses.html
Old 10-22-2013, 08:02 PM

There is a ad / link right at the top of this page to ATA's trapper education.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:42 AM

Take the course. You will learn a lot of valuable information and meet many people with same interests. Be able to pick each other's brain alittle. You will also learn a great deal of info on setups and if you have questions they can be answered right there and shown the correct way. Plus the hands on is so much more valuable then just relying on YouTube and be a lot less animals getting away and more humanly caught. Honestly there's more to trapping then just catching and making money from it. Enjoy.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Banned

I hear you guys about it being better to take the course over self study. I purchased the 2013 Alberta Trappers Manual yesterday and I did a quick read of it last night. In my case I think that self study and challenging the test would be sufficient for what I want to do. I'm not interested in turning my trapping into a business venture, I am just looking for an outdoors activity for during the winter.

If I do get my Resident Licence I would only be trapping coyotes with the proper snares so I think that it would boil down to either getting them or not. Either way, because this would only be a hobby/pastime, it wouldn't really matter. As long as I have a reason to be enjoying the outdoors. If it takes off from coyotes, but I doubt it, then perhaps I'll consider taking the formal course.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:57 PM
Banned

No Trappers courses scheduled in Westlock right now. Reply to my inquiry:

"Nothing yet Dave but I am looking for one this winter ( 2 weekends). No dates yet so watch the website."
Old 05-30-2015, 07:37 PM

Understanding the conflict of feelings on the subject, can anyone tell me the end date for challenging the trapper license test?
Thank you much

Last edited by blgoodbrand1; 05-30-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Understanding the conflict of feelings on the subject, can anyone tell me the end date for challenging the trapper license test?
Thank you much as
June 30th.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydro1 View Post
June 30th.

Cool.
Thanks Hydro
Old 05-31-2015, 08:16 AM

Im a pretty sure you cannot challenge the test anymore as of jan 1, 2015 atleast thats what i was told in the first time trappers course i took last year in december. I was gonna challenge the test aswell because it was so hard to find a course near me and get the time to take it, but i am glad i did not challenge and took the course instead it was a great experience. It was put on by Bushman inc you could contact them and see when they are holding there next course 1-877-446-0204 or you can contact Aj Callbeck he is in charge of all the trapper education courses his number is 780-349-6626. In my winter edition of Alberta Trapper they have some courses listed early june in Manning, late june in Medicine Hat, early july in lloydminster, and late july in sundre.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:02 AM

Old 05-31-2015, 05:24 PM

What is fee to write the test?
Old 05-31-2015, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBF View Post
What is fee to write the test?
It's cheap. $10 I think.
Old 05-31-2015, 07:43 PM

It was free when I wrote it.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 06-01-2015, 07:04 AM

It is June 30th the last day to challenge the test

I just wrote mine last week at the Edmonton office and it is free

They do it on Tues and Thurs at the edm office you call in and book a time

it is multiple choice and you need to get 70% to pass

Study the manual and the regs and you will pass

Last edited by D4l3k; 06-01-2015 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2015, 09:39 AM

Default test

Guys, last time I talked to the lady that handles the tests at F & W, she said most people fail the trapper exam the first time as they do not study enough.
So it is not a slam dunk, I thought you needed to get minimum of 80%.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:12 PM

Wrote the test today and passed with flying colors. Can't wait to get the kids out this winter.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:06 AM

Did mine yesterday and passed. Still want to do the course when funds allow.
I've had my eye on some areas around home since last winter..time to start knocking.
Thanks to those that answered questions, and to all the excellent info on this trapping category. Best discussion and most consciences posters on the forum.
Hats off to you, Keep it up folks!
Cheers,