Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 PM

Default Internation fur dressers/ review

Seems like there are quite a few guys interested in prices regarding tanning.

I took an otter and coyote in beginning of February, got the invoice April 22. About 2 and half months.

As far as the tanning job on them, I would say they could not be better. The coyote and otter I took in was cherry picked, and turned out perfect. A little scrunched up at the nose, but that is to be expected, I don't flesh the face that's why. Very pleased with them. The fur was not damaged at all.

It cost $70 each to CASE tan them, split open is cheaper. Plus there is a 10% environmental surcharge of total price, then tax and royalties. Total cost of $175. Maybe there is a special for having done more fur? Not sure.

I imagine if shipping was in there for out of province, it would be close to $200,even over. So it is not cheap, might be better off having it done in province, even for a little more.

Again, a perfect job, very happy, but remember, it's up to you to do a good job of putting up the fur, don't expect perfect results if not!
Old 05-01-2015, 12:00 AM

Default Home tanning

Depending on what you are looking for ... Consider home tanning with the flourescent oronge hunter/trapper bottle. I'm at the tail end of my first beaver tan(for experiment purposes) and am happy so far. With beaver prices where they are at I thought I would give it a go. Seems very nice, but not sure if it is of quality for mitts or hat. Very nice for "showing your friends".

From what I can see on the Internet the key to a soft "useable" fur hide requires thinning. It's an expensive tool that the home tanner likely wouldn't have. Especially with a thick hide like beaver it needs to be thinned to be truly "soft". Nonetheless my experimental "small, but thin hided" beaver is turning out well.

I'm in the I initial stages of starting a new home tan of a beaver as well as a marten (my first) so I will take pictures and start a new thread tomorrow .
Old 05-05-2015, 06:35 PM

Just got a wolf and wolverine back, great job once again. Have also had an otter, lynx, beaver, fox and a few others done over the years all with great results.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:19 AM

Guess you guys can't ship to the U.S. to have them tanned. Goggle Moyle Mink and see what it cost for us to have tanning done. A lot cheaper than what you have to pay up there. I do think that is an old price list, but they are only a couple dollars more now.

Jim
Old 05-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
From what I can see on the Internet the key to a soft "useable" fur hide requires thinning. It's an expensive tool that the home tanner likely wouldn't have. Especially with a thick hide like beaver it needs to be thinned to be truly "soft". Nonetheless my experimental "small, but thin hided" beaver is turning out well.
I tanned my first two beaver last year using that orange bottle tanning formula and they turned out very nice. To thin the leather I put a wire wheel on my drill and went over the leather with it. They aren't supple but they aren't terribly stiff either. I think for hats and wall hangers it's preferable to have a little bit of stiffness for the hide to keep its shape better anyway. It's a great way to increase the value of your beaver pelts, if you can find buyers, when the auction doesn't bring much for them.

I plan on getting a couple of fox professionally tanned next season and I'll just take them into that tannery in Edmonton to get them done. I really like fox fur and I'm not averaging a lot for them at auction anyway.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:37 PM
AO Sponsor

Gotta like getting a professional job done on trophies. I kinda question the orange bottle stuff, hate to put it on something of value, I wouldn't want to chance the hair falling out down the road someday.

International does exceptional work both on the fur finishing as well as the leather. They are actually well known for their work, the Canada Goose guy sez he loves their leather cuz it's so clean and white.

I had a few coyotes tanned this winter and they even uptoned them, the color. I'd
sure like to learn how to do that. I think I know their leather secret but the uptoning is going to be a science.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:20 PM

X2 Marty. The otter was my first and as such I didn't want to take any risks on doing a half job on it. I threw the coyote in for kicks. They do a world class job.

Would never send any of my fur down south LOL. Even if it was cheaper. The risk of not getting back what I sent is just to high.