Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 10:33 AM

Default Need Help!!

Need someone to trap what appears to be a 50 plus lb beaver at Buffalo Lake. Need it out of the yard and kids fort! Posting for a good friend who is worried about his grand kids playing in the yard. Pm me and I will give you contact info.
Old 05-25-2015, 08:37 PM
Banned

If you can't find anyone close to trap it, sit out there at sunset and shoot it/them.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM

That's what I was thinking Dave but apparently his neighbors are pretty close and he doesn't own a gun. It sounds like the county has said get rid of it however you want, but suggested having it trapped over shooting if possible. He's trying hard to rid the problem and keep everyone happy. I'm not sure that is ever a possibility!
Old 05-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocked View Post
That's what I was thinking Dave but apparently his neighbors are pretty close and he doesn't own a gun. It sounds like the county has said get rid of it however you want, but suggested having it trapped over shooting if possible. He's trying hard to rid the problem and keep everyone happy. I'm not sure that is ever a possibility!
Shoot it with something that doesn't go bang? Bow/crossbow should do the job just fine.

J
Old 05-26-2015, 10:25 AM

Arrow it...posted same time...great minds think a like
Old 05-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Banned

The counties around here have an animal control person who is contracted by the county to get rid of nuisance animals such as beaver. I'm thinking that there ought to be one in your friend's county as well.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
The counties around here have an animal control person who is contracted by the county to get rid of nuisance animals such as beaver. I'm thinking that there ought to be one in your friend's county as well.
I would have thought so also Dave. He says they told him they don't do it anymore. Take care of it yourself apparently. He is just not that guy. No equipment, no skills, for that kind of thing anyway. Hopefully he can find someone close willing to take it out. I'm told it's an easy 50 lb'er.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:29 PM

50lb is great if it is in December nice and prime. 50lber is worth zero money in the summer if you are talking fur value. Your friend may have to hire a company or local trapper to remove the issue. And for anyone ones future info having problem beaver is never 1 and never 50. Beaver are only a problem when the family group or population gets too big and is really damaging trees to feed the population. They probably did most damage in the fall and now everyone notices that nice block of mature trees not greening up and are missing. I am south of buffalo a tick or 2 and down here the beaver are after the young small willow and poplar now. In fall they hammer the mature trees to put in feed beds. I am not trying to be salty but a 50lber in the winter fur value might on a good auction get $20. I can't drive to Buffalo for $20. Most guys are having a hard time selling thier prime winter pelts at auction for any money. I have 2 still in the system of nice winter pelts that are I* med that cant sell they buy them back. So im not sure that dangiling only one 50lber beaver with a summer pelt is the best incentive. That is why most fellows on here are telling you to deal with the problem at home. Sorry for being blunt but I have been dealing with this stuff recently and it works me up.

Word got out in my small town by me telling one only one fellow that I was out doing damage control for a fellow but was taking the beaver carcass for bear bait. Well a councillor of a small town a ways away called an wanted me to come deal with his problem beaver 30min away. I said I am gonna need some $ for fuel. I am taking beaver 10 min from my house and that includes walking to the sets. But he heard from an old fellow on council that beaver were worth $100. Im sure in the 70s and 80s maybe but not now. I told him if they were worth that much cash he'd be having guys tripping over eachother to snag a beaver. I said i would like at least my fuel paid for. He has never called me back. By the way pm me if you want the beavers dealt with.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 PM

I can swing by in late June perhaps?
Supposed to be visiting with friends for a night at the Richon sands park. I hate campgrounds so any excuse to leave for a few hours is welcomed by me!
I have a bow if the beaver is hanging around. If not a few 330's I could set up, and leave for the night.
Figured I would throw it out there...
As he^ said, they are worth more for bear baiters than their fur is worth at auction. And bear season is wrapping up. .
Old 05-27-2015, 07:07 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I don't think he is looking to do anything but rid himself of a 50 lb pain in the butt that seems to want to play hide and seek in the grandkids playhouse. I haven't spoken to him in a couple of days about it but I will tomorrow and pass on your comments and offers.
Thank again
Old 05-27-2015, 08:09 PM

And sorry Bill. I think maybe my intentions were not clear. I just threw in the size as an explanation as to why he was looking to get rid of it. Some grandchildren aren't that big! He wasn't looking for someone to come remove it for nothing. Not that I am aware of anyway, and I didn't mean to imply value in the hide. He would be more than willing to pay any reasonable fee. He just had no idea who to contact in that area.
That being said I think he has enough info now to solve the problem. Thanks again guys!
Old 05-27-2015, 10:52 PM

Default In Reflection

In reflection of my post I was out of line. I apologize. I should not go on social media when I am frustrated and am heavily ranting. There are certain things like I has posted that had built up over the past recent days. And your post struck that cord. I was painting you with the same brush as other folk.
A please feel to post again and if you or anyone feel I am out of line or on a rant just say cool your jets. And I will.

Cheers
Bill
Old 05-28-2015, 07:01 AM

Hey Bill
It's all good. I can see where you are were coming from. Not a problem for me. I just wanted to let you know it wasn't my intent to come off like I was looking for something for nothing. I come from the pay your own way end of the social spectrum. These days I realize that may make me in the minority although I would hope not on this forum. As far as the ranting part goes believe me I've been doing that since election night myself!
I hope you have a better rest of the week
Old 06-14-2015, 01:50 AM
Banned

Arrow it, That should do the job smoothly.