Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2009, 06:43 AM

Nice cold-water Pike there Moose, thanks for sharing a pic. To all those saints that slam the young lad for keeping a "keeper"...go find yourself a bingo game or a "panty making" class and leave this forum for the sportsman. Good grief, what's next.....catch and release big game hunting?

Craig
Old 02-22-2009, 06:53 AM

Moose, great fish again! I hope your remaining season is amazing.

Guys, don't worry about Moosehunter, I imagine comments like HPFs just roll off him and his expession doesn't change an iota (see pic above for facial reaction).

HPF likes referring to the older generation a lot. If that bothers you at all just picture HPF 50 years from now old and senile in a mental institution, sitting in a wheel chair by a big bay window, muttering to himself over and over again "big pike!....big pike! .........BIG PIKE!!!".
Old 02-22-2009, 06:55 AM

Default Good one

Good One snap ....

HPF I hope your whinin , I mean giving your imput , to the Alberta Govt about their limits , size kept ,

etc. but if its legal and not wasted , but then this is a forum Knock your self out ..

no really " knock your self out " ... Its considered , the fishery, a renewable resource

I still say pollution will be the death of fishing long before Rod and reel ...

Last edited by Winch101; 02-22-2009 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
You guys aviously didn`t considering your encouring him to kill big spawner pike. Lakes are getting wrecked at alarming rate. Yet you guys are encouring this stuff. I know most of you won`t be fishing 10-20-30 years from now so i know you did`nt give a **** about the future. As long as you can keep u will do.

So it's the government that is encouraging "him" to kill big spawner pike by allowing it in the regulations. Maybe your cause would be better served if you were to lobby the regulatory bodies for changes to the regulations and stop berating individuals who play within the rules.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, I just get so damn angry when I see someone abusing the privilege.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Quote:
HPF likes referring to the older generation a lot. If that bothers you at all just picture HPF 50 years from now old and senile in a mental institution, sitting in a wheel chair by a big bay window, muttering to himself over and over again "big pike!....big pike! .........BIG PIKE!!!".

Quote:
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, I just get so damn angry when I see someone abusing the privilege.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Nice Pike Buddy. That beats my season record of 4lbs...
Old 02-22-2009, 09:02 AM

I've read somewhere that the bigger, older fish arn't that great of spawners as most of their eggs are infertile. All the fish he catches in his lifetime isn't gonna do any damage to the fishery.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:14 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy perch fisher View Post
Good job keeping another big pike out of gull. Hopefully u can get them all before the years done.
Got banned I see, perfect

Nice fish moose!!!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Gone Hunting

Just remember, it isnt a good day of predator hunting unless you end up leaking Moose! Nice fish, no matter what. You guys must have a pretty decent spot on that slough, you seem to be pretty consistent on some pretty good sloughies.

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er
Old 02-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosehunter3-0 View Post
thanks for the comments, I havnt really been targeting the ling buckcarzy as I heard its been slow. LAtely ive just been hitting my pike spots.
Nice fish moosehunter looks like you've got their number.

Was at Gull last weekend and the ling were starting up but not full tilt yet. If you aren't already maybe try a jig and minnow bounced off the bottom. I found they wouldn't touch a still anchovie or smelt but got some pretty aggressive hits on the minnow. They should be going pretty good by now.

Shrubs
Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 AM

Default Yes a Great pike..

Yes a Great pike..

and thanks for sharing the pics and stories.

A Good Friend told me,
Wind from the East fish bite the least, Wind from the West fish bite the best...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:19 AM

Nice healthy lookin' pike there, Moosehunter3-0! Also, nice work on not taking the bait from the trollers! First the porcupine now this - you are the "internet tough guy."
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Gone Hunting

thanks for the comments. The wicked part about pike fishing is it gets better and better as february goes on. This was pretty interesting though after filleting my pike its stomach contents contained pink anchovies lol. I guess some bait places die anchovies different colors.
Also it would be interesting if someone plugged my numbers into a fish calculator then told me the weight and ill say if its right.

save a tree kill a beaver
Chuck Norris can bump fire a bolt action
"A predators heart knows no remorse. It lives for the hunt, a natural force."
Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 PM

That is one nice fish!!!
good for you, all I got last weekend was a tug and release. didnt even get to se the bugger.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
thanks for the comments. The wicked part about pike fishing is it gets better and better as february goes on. This was pretty interesting though after filleting my pike its stomach contents contained pink anchovies lol. I guess some bait places die anchovies different colors.
Also it would be interesting if someone plugged my numbers into a fish calculator then told me the weight and ill say if its right.
12 pounds?
Old 02-23-2009, 02:24 PM

Default another big pike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red 250 View Post
I've read somewhere that the bigger, older fish arn't that great of spawners as most of their eggs are infertile. All the fish he catches in his lifetime isn't gonna do any damage to the fishery.
Hey there Big Red.I hope you don't take this personally but ........you need a male pike to make the eggs "fertilized". Pike of that size are just starting to reach their prime.A pike of that size (guessing 90+cm.)would have just over 10,000 eggs/lb of body weight. For example..15lbs. mama pike x 10,000 = 150,000 eggs. That's a whole lotta love...
Old 02-23-2009, 02:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
After punching a few numbers , I got 12.782535714285714 so Ill be generious and give you 13 , pounds .

Next time all you do for pike is

Length³ ÷ 3,500
(length x length x length ÷ 3,500)

For Walleye
Length³ ÷ 2,700
(length x length x length ÷ 2,700)

Trout

Length x Girth² ÷ 800
(length x girth x girth ÷ 800)

and Generally

Length x Girth² ÷ 800
(length x girth x girth ÷ 800)

But using the generic system says that pike was just about 29. pounds . Doesnt seem right so Id go with the 13 . Good work.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:03 PM

When I typed in the word infertile I knew it was wrong, but I couldn't think of how to say it. How I meant it was that the eggs are of a poorer quality compared to a younger fish. Something like that.And I could also be wrong, it's been known to happen.LoL.
A fish bioligist told me about that one time. I see he's on one of the fishing forums I frequent. I'll have to ask him about that. I was wondering if anyone would catch that.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:06 PM

I can honestly admit i used to be like HPF, someone caught a big fish and kept it i would slam them and alot harder the HPF did and unfortunately moosehunter was one of my victims.

I have come to realize....why? What is the point of me/us slamming a person all we have done is say the legal way and their opinion is wrong and our way is the best and everyone should fish by our way. There is nothing wrong with people doing what is legal or what they feel is right such as puttin the big girls back for spawning.

So lets think Gull, Sylvan and Pigeon are probably some of the hardest fished lakes in Alberta and yet they still kick out some nice pike, some choose to keep some choose to release but personally i havent noticed a decline in number or big pike in the lakes if anything ive noticed more pics of big pike from those lakes as of recent.

I still do disagree with sizes and limits but there still have to be the odd big pike harvested or else other species would suffer and think about how many eggs one big female lays...now im aware a vast majority of those dont reach maturity but if you have a few hundred big spawning females that is ALOT of fish and im sure there are more then a couple hundred spawning females in those lakes.

So HPF if you havent been banned...give up you arent gunna change the regs by slamming people and crying on this board, and you sure as heck aint gunna change a persons opinion over the internet. You keep doing what you do and others will keep doing what they are doing if something drastic starts to happen there will b individuals that will step in and get things changed for the god, there are enough respectful and good fishermen out there that are willing to stop our fisherys from becoming destroyed.

Nice fish Moosehunter

AKA MAVERICK
Old 02-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalconnection View Post
I can honestly admit i used to be like HPF, someone caught a big fish and kept it i would slam them and alot harder the HPF did and unfortunately moosehunter was one of my victims.

I have come to realize....why? What is the point of me/us slamming a person all we have done is say the legal way and their opinion is wrong and our way is the best and everyone should fish by our way. There is nothing wrong with people doing what is legal or what they feel is right such as puttin the big girls back for spawning.

So lets think Gull, Sylvan and Pigeon are probably some of the hardest fished lakes in Alberta and yet they still kick out some nice pike, some choose to keep some choose to release but personally i havent noticed a decline in number or big pike in the lakes if anything ive noticed more pics of big pike from those lakes as of recent.

I still do disagree with sizes and limits but there still have to be the odd big pike harvested or else other species would suffer and think about how many eggs one big female lays...now im aware a vast majority of those dont reach maturity but if you have a few hundred big spawning females that is ALOT of fish and im sure there are more then a couple hundred spawning females in those lakes.

So HPF if you havent been banned...give up you arent gunna change the regs by slamming people and crying on this board, and you sure as heck aint gunna change a persons opinion over the internet. You keep doing what you do and others will keep doing what they are doing if something drastic starts to happen there will b individuals that will step in and get things changed for the god, there are enough respectful and good fishermen out there that are willing to stop our fisherys from becoming destroyed.

Nice fish Moosehunter
thanks man lol, I defin couldve released it, but I reached to far in the gill plate and got her gills. Ill be more careful with the next one if I choose to release it.
And bbj your close, im guessing 10-11 pounds.

Last edited by moosehunter3-0; 02-24-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:32 PM

Well said Lethal, you are just like one of those big gator's you keep pulling out of the weeds, get in get out.
Keeping fish is not the problem the garbage in the lakes is, commercial fishing and so on
Great fish and thanks for sharing the pictures and stories, I say keep them coming..
Gramps
Old 02-24-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
thanks man lol, I defin sohuldve released it, but I reached to far in the gill plate and got her gills. I know thats a sh!tty exuse but ill be more careful with the next one.
And bbj your close, im guessing 10-11 pounds.
hey I think I was closer at 12 pounds moosehunter. And I went by just looking at the fish . I didn't even use your measurements . nice pike , I got one the same size last year about this time in the southern part of the province
Old 02-25-2009, 10:45 PM

what a fun one this has been.I had to check to see if i wasn't on the alberta sewing circle website instead of AO. Some guy got banned, nobody picked on BBJ (finally), there was some mathematics involved. All this over a 28" hen SOB lol i say keep your limit if you can handle the taste of them outtta these hypereutrophic potholes we call lakes. As soon as the next boom is over im outta here to finer fishing grounds anyways lol. Tight lines
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
what a fun one this has been.I had to check to see if i wasn't on the alberta sewing circle website instead of AO. Some guy got banned, nobody picked on BBJ (finally), there was some mathematics involved. All this over a 28" hen SOB lol i say keep your limit if you can handle the taste of them outtta these hypereutrophic potholes we call lakes. As soon as the next boom is over im outta here to finer fishing grounds anyways lol. Tight lines
35.5 actually but phuck it w/e helps you sleep at night
look at my other post i haave photos of measurement for people like yourself

Old 02-25-2009, 11:34 PM

Great fish. Congradulations on your catch!!!
Old 02-26-2009, 06:14 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

I for one have never kept monster pike. Mostly cause I only seem to get the little snot rockets.
Great pics there, and a nice fish at that. If I ever see you out on the ice I hope you have a few tips for me cause if this where a race, you'd be winning.
Dont let the sour apples set off your barrel, Keep doing what you seem to be so good at and if it tastes good, eat it. I know as a licenced fisherman part of your licence cost goes back towards fishery conservation. Way to go man. And thanks for contributing back to the enviroment. You have plenty of years ahead to put back thousands of fish. Tight lines-RH But really ya gotta start smiling in those photo's.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramps73 View Post
Well said Lethal, you are just like one of those big gator's you keep pulling out of the weeds, get in get out.
Keeping fish is not the problem the garbage in the lakes is, commercial fishing and so on
Great fish and thanks for sharing the pictures and stories, I say keep them coming..
Gramps
couldnt agree more I took my 2 girls out to coal lake to do some tobboganing last weekend and the amount of s..t that was left on the ice ( coffee cups empty propane,bags etc) was gross seems every time i go out I end up cleaning up after some pusswad I too think that this will be the demise of our fishery not keeping legal fish. By the way moosehunter great catch!!!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 AM

Hey happy perch fisher, what response have you got from our provincial government regarding the regulations? I can only assume you have taken your argument further than this forum if you are really that serious.

It seems there are a lot of people that agree with you and I wonder what you have heard form people that actually make the rules that allow us to keep pike over 63 instead of specific slot limits?
Old 03-27-2009, 08:46 AM

Where's the pic?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:08 AM

moose hunter probally removed it after all the hoopla . Lots of airchair critics out there . It was a nice pike though