Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2016, 07:26 AM

Default Tragedy strikes at Blackett Lake

Reports say a small boat capsized on Blackett Lake in the Lakeland Provincial Park. Only one of the two occupants was able to swim back to shore and the other is presumed drowned. A group back at the campsite used an emergency beacon to notify authorities who then went and started the search. Two things.....great idea to have an emergency beacon when exploring the back country so kudos to whoever thought to bring it along, secondly, a very sobering reminder to ALWAYS wear a life jacket especially when using small boats. If you don't like wearing a traditional one spend the dough and get a self inflated one it could save a life. My dad drowned when I was six, for something so simple as a life jacket please wear it and spare your loved ones the grief and anguish of losing you! I feel bad for everyone involved in this, it just doesn't have to happen. It could have been two drowned in this incident, thankfully that was not the case. My thoughts and prayers are with those who are affected by this. Let's all do our part, just like a seatbelt in a car, life jackets save lives, so put it on and live to fish another day!
Old 08-04-2016, 07:43 AM

Condolences to the family. Being back country is even more reason to be on the side of caution.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:04 AM

So sad things like this have to happen, and so quick.
Making me think more about a beacon now in the backcountry.
Our thoughts and prayers.
Old 08-09-2016, 01:14 AM

Man I wish those life jackets weren't so stupid expensive. Hard to find the classic pfd ones in my size. (Big ol bastard)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
Man I wish those life jackets weren't so stupid expensive. Hard to find the classic pfd ones in my size. (Big ol bastard)

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
http://www.waterskiworld.com/life_ve...life-vest.html . I think its a US site, I managed find one that fits me at the discount watersports store on whyte ave here in Edmonton.