Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-29-2009, 03:13 PM

Default fishing guide gratuities?

Just wondering what is around the normal for fishing guide gratuities for sturgeon fishing. thanks any help would be great.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
Banned

It depends on a lot of things, very similar to tipping a waitress really. If the guy has his act together, does a good job, is enjoyable to be with and just generally gives you the warm and fuzzies, tip him well (the definition of "well" is up to you). If he's a putz, don't give him anything.

I've been a fishing guide for 7 years now, my best tips have been around $500 for a day, and the worst ones have been $20. If I had to pick a "normal" tip, I guess I'd say about $100 or so, but every client and every guide are different.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
It depends on a lot of things, very similar to tipping a waitress really. If the guy has his act together, does a good job, is enjoyable to be with and just generally gives you the warm and fuzzies, tip him well (the definition of "well" is up to you). If he's a putz, don't give him anything.

I've been a fishing guide for 7 years now, my best tips have been around $500 for a day, and the worst ones have been $20. If I had to pick a "normal" tip, I guess I'd say about $100 or so, but every client and every guide are different.
Thanks I was just wondering so if I do get to go I would not be insalting anyone if I knew what is around average thanks once again.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:02 PM

The trips I have been on I tip $100/day.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:10 PM

As the one poster put it, if he's good tip good, if not tip bad...I usually almost always tip and i use the same math I use for a waiter/ress...10 to 20%
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Default No real guidelines

I usually gauge my tips on how well the guide did on the things he/she controls. One year on salmon I had a guide tha was a real putz...equipment was terrible, he never got off the helmseat at all, just complained about every other boat and sat on his butt. He got $50 tip for 3 days and I still think it was too much. Had another guide that was excellent, did just enough coaching to get me comfortable with the gear etc, worked his arse off putting us on fish, not an angry or upset word from him in 3 days just a real gent...his tip was equal to his dayrate. Funny thing is we caught just as many fish on each of these trips.

What I really hate is when a guide spends his last 2 hours with you trying to reminisce about how wonderful a terrible trip was...you can tell he's just milking for a tip. I've only ever shorted 2 guides in my life and they both knew it was coming from a long way away, I didn't mince my words with them and I don't regret it.

I see the tip as optional based on service, effort and attention. Getting a tip isn't a God-given right from me.

Zeke
Old 03-29-2009, 10:18 PM

Default Tips

Thanks guys this is a huge help. Good luck to all this open water season. Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:06 PM

I think the comments are all pretty good advise. The part about the guide doing whatever he can within his control is important....
That includes being organized, alert, clean vessel, and walks the walk (not too much BS) He can't make the fish bite or jump in the boat, but he should work hard to make it all happen.
Just my two cents from outfitting over 30K Fishermen over the last 14 years. (unfortunatley for me, my guides always do better than me on tips because I own the company, regardless of my service or catch)

Hope your Sturgeon Fishing goes well for you.