Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2018, 01:28 PM
Banned

Default TELUS smart hub?

Anyone using the Telus smarthub for their internet? I did a speed check on my internet and it was down around .5 mbps. Seems pretty horrible compared when Telus will guarantee 10-25 mbsp.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Anyone using the Telus smarthub for their internet? I did a speed check on my internet and it was down around .5 mbps. Seems pretty horrible compared when Telus will guarantee 10-25 mbsp.
Depends on the strength of your connection and how many other people are using the tower.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM

I had a Telus hub and it worked well..that said regardless what the hub is capable of speed wise, make sure that it is not the wireless adaptor in your computer that is not the culprit for slow speeds. I have Telus high speed now but my 6 yr old desktop can't take full advantage of it unless I am hardwired in. At least that's the way I understand it , I am pretty weak when it comes to computer skills though.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Depends on the strength of your connection and how many other people are using the tower.
supposedly Telus regulates the number of hubs allowed in each area so that should not be the issue.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:41 PM

I have a Telus hub but only when my Interac goes down in one of my stores...I pay $10.00 month and works great in Calgary when needed...
Old 03-20-2018, 01:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I had a Telus hub and it worked well..that said regardless what the hub is capable of speed wise, make sure that it is not the wireless adaptor in your computer that is not the culprit for slow speeds. I have Telus high speed now but my 6 yr old desktop can't take full advantage of it unless I am hardwired in. At least that's the way I understand it , I am pretty weak when it comes to computer skills though.
Got a brand new smart tv so figure there must be something better out there then what I’ve got. My internet service is hit and miss presently. I can’t get the regular Telus internet and my options are gpn and some other provider that I can’t recall the name of. Both are junk. If Telus will guarantee 12 mbps I’d be very happy. Seems gpn can guarantee that it won’t be close to 12.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
supposedly Telus regulates the number of hubs allowed in each area so that should not be the issue.
True but they run on the same lte network your phone does and because of that if the tower is near its capacity because of cell phone usage you will see a degradation in service. Also if you have poor service because of obstructions between you and the tower you will have poor speeds.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Got a brand new smart tv so figure there must be something better out there then what I’ve got. My internet service is hit and miss presently. I can’t get the regular Telus internet and my options are gpn and some other provider that I can’t recall the name of. Both are junk. If Telus will guarantee 12 mbps I’d be very happy. Seems gpn can guarantee that it won’t be close to 12.
When we were out on the acreage we started with explorenet and it was near impossible to watch Netflix on the smart tv . when we switched to the Telus hub it was a night and day difference with virtually no issues. Is it as good as fiber optic high speed ? No. Is it better than anything any other rural internet service provider can give ? I would say yes, it's miles ahead
Old 03-20-2018, 02:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
When we were out on the acreage we started with explorenet and it was near impossible to watch Netflix on the smart tv . when we switched to the Telus hub it was a night and day difference with virtually no issues. Is it as good as fiber optic high speed ? No. Is it better than anything any other rural internet service provider can give ? I would say yes, it's miles ahead
Thanks. Explornet was the other name I was thinking. I think I’ll go pick up the smarthub tommorow and take this friggin gpn tower down.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:22 PM
Banned

If mcsnet is available in your area they are the best I've found. I get a steady 2.5 MB/s.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
If mcsnet is available in your area they are the best I've found. I get a steady 2.5 MB/s.
Don’t know if we’ve got mcsnet. Thinking the smarthub is my best option.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:23 PM

I went from average download speeds of 0.5 Mb/s up to 8 - 12 Mb/s when I made the switch from Xplorenet to Telus smart hub. No problem streaming HD movies anymore and we can have a bunch of devices using the wifi at once instead of it slowing down if two people are on it at the same time. Another bonus is that it doesn't suffer from service outages as often as Xplorenet, haven't had one in a year.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:09 PM

I’ve had better than this with the Telus hub but this isn’t good. This was done at 5:00 pm on a work day. I recall the last time I did this I was in the 5 mbs range. Granted I don’t know what my wife and three kids were doing while I did these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FB8634B0-AF4D-4A26-9279-1A5BE8780DE7.jpg (6.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:15 PM

Just did a few more and it’s better. It dropped my connection on one test though. I had Xplornet before and I couldn’t do anything literally. Stream a show, not a chance. It was pathetic and cost more to boot!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB5EB91E-0B8C-4CCC-ABC6-2E4C6B6A314C.jpg (8.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:26 PM

Have one and like it by far the best we have tried with this being the 3rd provider
Old 03-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Banned

For the most part my internet hasn’t been horrible but I hate paying for a service that you can’t rely on. I know when I switch my phone to LTE/4g it never misses a beat here at home.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:44 PM
Banned

What package are you guys using? I was figuring on the 100gb package.
It also seems that there is 2 different hubs. Is anyone better then the other.

Forgot to add that I tried talking to a telus person on the phone but Hindu Canadian and born Albertan don’t translate very well. Should be able to get one of these hubs at a telus store I hope.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:54 PM

They can mail it to you and it is pretty easy to set up.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
What package are you guys using? I was figuring on the 100gb package.
It also seems that there is 2 different hubs. Is anyone better then the other.

Forgot to add that I tried talking to a telus person on the phone but Hindu Canadian and born Albertan don’t translate very well. Should be able to get one of these hubs at a telus store I hope.
Press 2 and speak to a Canadian with a french accent, they always happen to be bi-lingual.
You're Welcome.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandHeart View Post
They can mail it to you and it is pretty easy to set up.
Lol don’t want to talk to another one of those guys anytime soon. I’ll call vector or expert in town tomorrow. Surely they must have them in town to sell over the counter. I hope
Old 03-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Package is called internet 500
Old 03-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Banned

Thanks fellas.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Thanks fellas.

Mine works great. Streams Netflix without issue. Go talk to the crew at expert mobile and they will set you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2018, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
Mine works great. Streams Netflix without issue. Go talk to the crew at expert mobile and they will set you up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:00 PM
Banned

Well it appears the smart hub only works in some places and mine is one of the places that it don't work due to the type of tower.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Well it appears the smart hub only works in some places and mine is one of the places that it don't work due to the type of tower.
Murphy's law
Old 03-22-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
They told me the same thing, but I picked one up anyway to give it a try and voila, it works! You can return it no questions asked within 2 weeks I believe? Just make sure this is still the case.
Old 03-22-2018, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
They told me the same thing, but I picked one up anyway to give it a try and voila, it works! You can return it no questions asked within 2 weeks I believe? Just make sure this is still the case.
Same here
Old 03-22-2018, 02:59 PM

I've got one and it has been great. Then again I live where the only options were NWTel and a regular cell phone plan. My wife and I shared a cell phone plan with 11 gigs/month and paid some high overage fees. When the hub option came up I grabbed one and got the 500 gig/month plan. I find we don't use near that much and average under 30 megs/month. I don't think it works on the regular cell phone towers. I was told I had to live within six or seven miles of town to be within range. It's about 6.5 miles and works fine. Sometimes when I do a Shaw satellite speed test it says standard definition only, but high def downloads still works.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricki Bobby View Post
Picked one up today to try. No go. Called the technician and he said only certain towers have it. So either move my place closer to town or move town closer to me I'm stuck with the provider I've got.