Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 10:01 PM

Default Frustration setting in!!

First, let me state that I have been having a great hunting season this year. I'm hunting a new area, and it's proven to be a good switch from my old hunting area. I have been seeing game every time out, with the exception of one day where I didn't see anything at all. I'm hunting antlered moose and deer on this property and I've been close to a couple good bulls. I had an eventful archery season, getting to within bow range of two different bulls. They did not end up giving me a shot however. I also flung an arrow at a whitetail doe. Which made contact and passed through the deer. Unfortunately the doe was not recovered. Guessing by the evidence on the arrow, I think I missed the vitals all together it was covered in thick tallow fat and had very little blood on the arrow. I could not find a blood trail due to rain, and after doing a search of the general area, I came up with nothing.

Fast forward to this past week. I am on public land so seeing other hunters is no surprise. There's not many guys hunting here, but It gets a little depressing seeing a moose gutpile and hide, right close to where I had seen the one bull last month. Another gutpile of what was obviously a deer was discovered this morning as well. There are other people having success, and I'm happy for them. The frustrating part for me is that I'm having numerous encounters, but no real opportunities at the moose. I've been hunting very hard, and having my butt kicked by these animals.

Yesterday, I came up on a bull that was more than sufficient for a first bull moose. I had him just outside 200 yards for over an hour, just standing there watching me. I could have shot him 100 times over. Unfortunately, he was 20 yards in to the neighbouring property. I tried calling him over, and he just stood there staring at me. So this morning, I headed back out there again to try my luck for half a day. As I'm walking through the one field. A bull elk pops over the hill, 80 yards away. No tag in my pocket for elk, draw only in that wmu. Had a chance to get one crappy picture with my phone before he bolted off! Fast forward three and a half hours as I'm walking out to my truck, through the same field, and I bumped another bull moose. This time he's on the property I can hunt him on. And surprise, he can run faster than Flash Gordon! It is extremely frustrating that I had a bull in plain view yesterday that was broadside for probably 55 minutes or more, but today when I'm able to shoot, the moose doesn't give me half a second to shoot! I guess this thread is just a big venting session. Anyone else having an otherwise super successful year, with the exception of folding a tag yet??
Old 11-07-2017, 11:08 PM

Patience young Jedi, it's called hunting for a reason.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:38 PM
Banned

I've had a fairly frustrating season as well... I currently have a 406 Doe Tag (draw), and both White-tail & Mule deer general tags.

I either see the wrong species for the WMU I'm in, or the animal has spooked & is "gone like yesterday" before I can even raise the rifle.

In 406, I've seen moose every time I've been out there (no tag, all draw).

The last 3 times I've been there, I saw 4/4/3 respectively. The last 2 times, seeing the same bull with a pitch-fork on 1 side of his rack.

I too am at my wits end... And I've spent almost a grand on fuel since Sept 17, back & forth to Kananaskis or the Waiporous area every chance I get.

Off I go tomorrow @ 6am, to possibly torture myself again !

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 11-07-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:46 AM

Old 11-08-2017, 05:45 AM

But I bet it was a hell of alot more fun than sitting on the couch and even if it was on another property, it probably got your heart pumping pretty good didnt it. Its all part of hunting and often times parts of the hunt you remember the fondest arent necessarily of just the kill.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:12 AM

Yes, the blood was boiling pretty good! As I said before, I've had a great season so far. I'm learning a lot, seeing lots of game, and staying in better shape due to all the hiking. The biggest thing for me is that it took 6 years to get this draw, and I really don't want to eat tag soup, AGAIN. This is only my second time drawing for antlered moose in 12 seasons. The last time I drew, I didn't get much time out. Didn't even see a moose. This year I'm seeing lots, so that is great! Just getting anxious as I'm running out of time. I only have a few days left to hunt at the end of the month. Fingers crossed that I get lucky!
Old 11-08-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
This time he's on the property I can hunt him on. And surprise, he can run faster than Flash Gordon! It is extremely frustrating that I had a bull in plain view yesterday that was broadside for probably 55 minutes or more, but today when I'm able to shoot, the moose doesn't give me half a second to shoot!
That's hunting at its best
Just keep at it good luck.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Learning year for me too (again). This season I drew an antler less WT for 406 as well. Nice to hunt close to home. Each time I'm out I find myself in that pivotal mental state of "call it quits or maybe just over there...one more hill" I am definitely at the peak performance point of patience

Tomorrow I will find my quarry.... tomorrow and tomorrow.

Still better than sitting in my office crunching numbers though.

Patience young padawan. The force will be strong with more training

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 08:29 AM

Default I hear ya

My scouting time is very limited. I spent 5 days in 936, found only one elk trail, so decided not to draw. 5 days gone.

Got bit by a dog on a training hike, spent a week sitting around on antibiotics with a fever and pus draining out of the bite. Lost more scouting time.

Found out my cousin had been diagnosed with cancer. He wanted to get a an elk with his bow, as it'll likely be his last season. Spent 3 days scouting, found him a spot where the elk were going through morning and evening. Hoping both of us would get our first elk. I had to work the first three days, told him how to set up on it. He decided he knew better, and set up UPWIND of the elk trail. Surprise, elk gone. Then, just to make sure, the next day he went stomping through their bedding area. No elk.

Wanted to hunt a spot I had seen lots of mulies, they had cows in there till November.

Had 2 elk in a small bowl at 150 yards, they literally covered each other's blind spots for an hour. One feeding, one standing watch. Did a half mile circle, they moved up and bedded facing me. Then, on the walk out, just to rub it in, I saw a bull moose within 60 yards in a zone where I got blanked on a P7 tag 2 years ago.

My "back up" whitetail spot in the hills, bright green clover cutline, where I couldn't go 2 hours without seeing a deer, got there just to find other hunters and no clover. Completely grown over with field grass. No deer.

Coyotes took out multiple deer on my bow zone spot, so the deer vanished. Again. Farmer likes coyotes.

Hit every single heat/rain/snow/wind storm all season. 30 degrees with a full moon, 3 foot snow drifts, week of rain, more snow, had elk figured out and then that stupid wind storm that knocked the train off the trestle.

More snow last week, then just as it cleared up, my grandpa (who is by far my best friend and the person I talk to the most) ended up in the hospital potentially about to lose his leg.

5 WEEKS OFF, 14 days of hunting total. I average 40 and have been up to 60 some years.

At this point, I'm just hoping everyone stays above ground and maybe I'll get some scouting done for next year. Never know though, it only takes one second to turn it all around.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 AM

I hear you! Froze my ass off in the stand for hours on sunday. Scent wicks out, scent drag attached to my boots on the way out there, called and rattled my little heart out. Nuthin.

On my way home that night, nearly hit a mule doe with the truck. Swerved all over the road to avoid her. There was a split second where I thought "who needs a front grill anyway? I'm sure not THAT much meat would get spoiled!"

Keep at it man, the rut is just starting. Can't win if you don't play!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Yes, the blood was boiling pretty good! As I said before, I've had a great season so far. I'm learning a lot, seeing lots of game, and staying in better shape due to all the hiking. The biggest thing for me is that it took 6 years to get this draw, and I really don't want to eat tag soup, AGAIN. This is only my second time drawing for antlered moose in 12 seasons. The last time I drew, I didn't get much time out. Didn't even see a moose. This year I'm seeing lots, so that is great! Just getting anxious as I'm running out of time. I only have a few days left to hunt at the end of the month. Fingers crossed that I get lucky!
I get down on myself every year also....just remember...it can all turn around in 1 second. The lowest of lows to the highest of highs. Thats what keep us heading back out time after time. Keep your chin up fella...put your time in and it will happen when it is meant to be!!
Old 11-08-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerless View Post
I hear you! Froze my ass off in the stand for hours on sunday. Scent wicks out, scent drag attached to my boots on the way out there, called and rattled my little heart out. Nuthin.

On my way home that night, nearly hit a mule doe with the truck. Swerved all over the road to avoid her. There was a split second where I thought "who needs a front grill anyway? I'm sure not THAT much meat would get spoiled!"

Keep at it man, the rut is just starting. Can't win if you don't play!
I got a permit for a fresh road kill once, only looked to have a broken leg, was curious to see how much is salvageable for dog food. opened it up, looked like someone had skinned the deer, run everything inside through a wood chipper, then poured it back into the skin. No recognizable parts or organs. Won't do that again.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
I get down on myself every year also....just remember...it can all turn around in 1 second. The lowest of lows to the highest of highs. Thats what keep us heading back out time after time. Keep your chin up fella...put your time in and it will happen when it is meant to be!!
I'm not so much down on myself, I'm just a bit frustrated. I know all too well that it really only takes a second for things to turn around. The most frustrating part now, is that I have to spend the next two weeks up at work thinking about the last week of November. Hoping that nobody else connects with the bull, or chases him out of the area. I have hunted hard like this before, and come up skunked on my draw tags. It hurts!!

Also, this forum is killing me, all I see are threads about people getting their first moose. Guys talking about how they just went for a walk and there he was! I'm Just wondering how hard I have to hunt to get as lucky as some of these other guys. The moose are in my area, i know they are!! I have yet to get the opportunity to shoot though. And that's wearing me thin! I know it's called hunting for a reason. And it will be so much more rewarding to get one after putting in the hard work.

I'm primarily a whitetail hunter. Guaranteed tags every year are nice. You can tend to pattern whitetails quite easy throughout the year as well. Moose however, I am learning to be very difficult to pattern. One day I'll go through the property and see zero tracks. Next day, they're all over the place. It's a big property and I've seen moose throughout the whole area. So I have troubles just sitting and waiting in one spot. The cool weather doesn't help, as I don't have a blind to shield me from the elements. So I need to move around a bit to stay warmer. I think that has helped me see more game, but also has me jumping them, which makes for a loss of a shot opportunity.

Anyways.... I'll keep at it, with full intention of wrapping that tag around the hind leg of a nice big(or even a little) bull moose this year. I'm not one to give up too easy when it comes to hunting!! Good luck to the rest of you guys who are also busting your butts to try and make it happen! Congrats to all who have been successful!! Send some of your luck my way. I'd rather be lucky than good, if it means a moose on the ground, and meat in my freezer.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:22 AM

it is frustrating for sure, but at least you are in an area with animals. that is in my opinion 70% of the hard work. so you will tag one out pretty soon just be patient.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Also, this forum is killing me, all I see are threads about people getting their first moose.
With social media so prevalent (this forum, AHA Facebook group etc), you see a lot of threads about success and not many about the hardships faced when trying to fill a tag. In my mind it paints an inaccurate picture about success rates and can give unrealistic expectations to those who haven't harvested an animal. Very rarely do you hear about the flat tires, blown stalks, missed shots etc. Most people won't post about their non-harvests.

The fact that you are out there having close encounters is a pretty good indicator you are doing most things right and that it's simply a matter of time until you connect and we're reading your "My First Moose" thread.

Good luck!
Old 11-08-2017, 11:48 AM

Default Hunting

A word to you young guys from an old man who has many, many seasons under his belt.

Don't focus on the harvest of the animal, if you do this you will be frustrated on a daily basis. Once you harvest, the hunt is over.

Enjoy everyday of the hunt. The experience of getting out into the wilds. Enjoy seeing the wildlife. All of it. From the raven who fly's over, to the squirrel that chatters your location to all. The sunrise, the new snow glistening, listen to the wind in the trees. This is why we plan all year, get up early and spend some of the best time of our lives in the wilds. Cherish the time spent with close friends who share this with us.

Relax, take it all in. The animals will come.

Puma
Old 11-08-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
A word to you young guys from an old man who has many, many seasons under his belt.

Don't focus on the harvest of the animal, if you do this you will be frustrated on a daily basis. Once you harvest, the hunt is over.

Enjoy everyday of the hunt. The experience of getting out into the wilds. Enjoy seeing the wildlife. All of it. From the raven who fly's over, to the squirrel that chatters your location to all. The sunrise, the new snow glistening, listen to the wind in the trees. This is why we plan all year, get up early and spend some of the best time of our lives in the wilds. Cherish the time spent with close friends who share this with us.

Puma

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 11-08-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Puma
Wisdom
Old 11-08-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Puma
This is so very true, and I admire that quote. At one point or another, every hunter has experienced no success.

I have hunted for 42 years, and with moose you will have a dry spell.

Be patient, success will come. And when it does, it will be that much sweeter. I guarantee it.
Old 11-08-2017, 01:59 PM

Default Frustation

Thks Puma you hit it right on. I have hunted every year since 1972 and I can count on two hands the number of animals I have shot but have hundreds of good memories of friends hunting camps helping other hunters and everything that goes with it. I also always had venison in my freezer. I will not hunt this year due to old age creeping but am hoping that the arthritis will decrease enough to make it out next year. Thks Piker
Old 11-08-2017, 03:57 PM

Puma- Those are great words. Thank you.

I fear that I have made myself sound like an impatient, and entitled whiner. However, I'm just trying to state my frustrations, and hopefully get a few words of wisdom. I really appreciate everyone taking time out of their day to comment on this thread.

One of the things I know about hunting, is that there's always something new to learn about. I have not sat in a blind/treestand going on six years now. And I have learned that being patient, being quiet, and trying to limit movements, are key factors in succeeding. The hunt to me is not all about the harvest of an animal, as I have made it sound. I do my best to soak in the whole experience. And really cherish my time in the field.

When you spend two thirds of your time at work, it's always nice to get out in the field. Knowing the sacrifices my family goes through for me to be able to hunt, is one of the things that bothers me when I'm not successful. They miss out on time with me for two weeks at a time, then I hunt as much as I can on days off. So for me to harvest an animal helps make the sacrifices a little more worth it for them.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Don't apologize for having the fire. If success didn't matter, we wouldn't do what we do. The kill matters. It's what separates a hunter from a nature walker, an active participant from a passive observer. I didn't walk around in the woods and then decide to hunt. I wanted to hunt and that made me appreciate the woods.

Many old guys don't have the experience of getting blanked on a long wait moose tag. It's gut wrenching, especially when you look forward to it for years. Getting to hunt the same animals every year, and thus learn about them and become more successful is a thing of the past. "Oh maybe next year" has turned into a decade, sometimes never, for moose.

I'd be willing to bet those who talk about sparkling snow and animals just magically showing up aren't staring down an empty freezer, with a young family and limited time off. Not that I'm suggesting any ill will, but I take the words of the past with the understanding that they come from the perspective of the past.

Don't ease up. That's what you will regret. Go hard right till the bitter end, and whatever happens you can be proud of yourself.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 PM

“A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” -Fred Bear
Old 11-09-2017, 08:14 PM

Default Heres the hardship.

Waited 4 years to draw my mule buck tag. Well I shot a dandy yesterday morning at 10am. He was in the bottom of the coulee. Big coulee bucks dont come easy. So down he is, i climb down to have a look, put a tag on and climb out. 165 yards ranged from where I shot him.
Anyway climb back out to walk quarter mile to truck get quad and make a plan.
Managed to get my quad down to bottom. I field dressed him then strapped him to the quad. Next 5 hours was winching up a coulee I should not have gone down. Completely rolled my quad once, righted it, restarted after sitting, good to go, gun boot bent (no rifle inside) deer tenderized. Finally get to the top, tired but knowing it was going to be a long day, I was ready for it. What I wasnt ready for was sliding my quad into my trucks back window. 973 bucks later and an unhappy wife were good again.
It is what it is my friend. Some days it is easy, and sometimes you hafta fight for every inch. Be patient, be persistant, it'll happen when you least expect it.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Anzac View Post
I call it rifle hiking. If you need to know how my season is going.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:57 PM

Experiencing the same thing. Last season was a disaster for various reasons, been a rough year personally - work 6 days a week to make ends meet. I have a magical 3 day weekend starting Saturday and it's make or break time to fill my tags.

And, most likely, those 3 days I'm going to be feeling super guilty that I'm out doing that while the wife is with the kids all day, just like she does all week. So, the pressure is immense to get an animal. I just don't want to feel guilty having spent the time away from everyone with nothing to show for it. I love the hunt, absolutely love it, but it gets hard to justify if I don't get the kill.

It's a tough thing. Luckily my wife is great, and realistically the hunting season is short, and then it's over. But boy wouldn't I be glad to tag out Saturday morning. Keep hammering guys!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:23 PM

I get how you feel, bow hunting can be very frustrating, animals just out of range or too fast..... makes you want to throw your bow at them after it happens again and agian.
Anyways on a different note, that is why they have so many liberal, general bow opportunities in this province. Low success, if everyone connected they would shut those opportunities down chicken louie. Its important when hunting to keep a postive outlook no matter what happens. The harder and longer you hunt, the more you learn. Find the good in being unsuccessful and learn from being schooled by the animals. Learn to enjoy the entire experience of the hunt. Learn to hunt sign instead of just the animals, you will be sooo busy you wont know where the time went. Become a hunter, a woodsman instead of someone that really badly wants to shoot something or cut a tag. If you dont have low times you wont appreciate the high times as much. Change your mind set about it, make sense?

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:51 PM

Last year filled my general whitetail on the second day, this year - no luck what so ever, last time on the drive in saw multiple whitetails and had to actually stop and wait for 2 whitetail does to finally let me drive to where I can hunt them, watched 2 mule bucks walking all around me, - and no luck with general whitetail so far, go figure.
PS. Not even bow, must've messed up my karma somehow.
PPS, With the snow - the place looks infested with deer too, way more tracks than I saw before

Last edited by ak-71; 11-09-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Don't apologize for having the fire. If success didn't matter, we wouldn't do what we do. The kill matters. It's what separates a hunter from a nature walker, an active participant from a passive observer. I didn't walk around in the woods and then decide to hunt. I wanted to hunt and that made me appreciate the woods.

Many old guys don't have the experience of getting blanked on a long wait moose tag. It's gut wrenching, especially when you look forward to it for years. Getting to hunt the same animals every year, and thus learn about them and become more successful is a thing of the past. "Oh maybe next year" has turned into a decade, sometimes never, for moose.

I'd be willing to bet those who talk about sparkling snow and animals just magically showing up aren't staring down an empty freezer, with a young family and limited time off. Not that I'm suggesting any ill will, but I take the words of the past with the understanding that they come from the perspective of the past.

Don't ease up. That's what you will regret. Go hard right till the bitter end, and whatever happens you can be proud of yourself.
The never quit attiude is Boone to success, however I don't really understand the pressure of the empty freezer and a mouths to feed. For the price of a tank of gas, a hunting license and the tags you can buy a hog or the likes. Hunting is more than cancelling tags. An unsuccessful day in the woods is never a waste.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 11-10-2017, 12:57 AM

I have nothing to show for the archery season except a great story.

While hunting public land, I climbed up on a cottonwood limb about 4 feet off the ground before shooting light and waited. Within 1/2 an hour I heard a twig snap behind me, and turned to see a young bull moose looking my way. I had no tag for moose, so I watched as he moved about my area for the next 45 minutes or so. Eventually he came closer, eating some twigs...then walked to 28 yards, laid down and began chewing his cud. This went on for about 1/2 an hour until he fell asleep and started snoring! There were times I coughed in the tree, and even sneezed once, but he just looked my way and kept on resting.

Although no other animals came through that day, it's an experience I'll never forget!

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk