Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-16-2011, 06:52 AM

Default Storing a gas motor and deep cycle

I need to store my motor for winter. It is just a little 4hp Merc (old one). I will keep it in my garage but the garage isn't heated. Do i run it dry first?

Also have two deep cycle batteries; one in the camper and one for my electric motor. What is the best way to store the batteries? Fully charged? Charge is 2Amp occasionally over the winter?

Advice is appreciated
Old 10-16-2011, 08:23 AM

I used a storage seal from mercury on my 2 stroke, just follow the can instructions. Basically run it and stall the motor with the fluid, or spray inside the cylinder(s). Check the lower leg oil for clean and clear. Milky means a leaking seal. Good time to change it if due, mine is changed at 100-150 hrs (estimated). Check your spark plug and replace if needed.

Batteries MUST be stored fully charged to prevent freezing. A top up through the winter is a good idea and the older the battery is the more likely it will trickle discharge. A quick meter check will let you know if it should be topped up. (New battery should be 13V, replace at about 12.2V, although you will still get some use from it) Many will say to not store on concrete but that is actually a myth. Banging it against a hard surface (concrete) can dislodge interior plate film that will short out the internals.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:31 PM

Also you could also keep the motor in the basement if you have room. I keep my 15 hp o/b in the basement over the winter, and it seems to start good in the spring.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM
Banned

Billy has it down
Old 10-16-2011, 08:42 PM

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll check on that seal stuff and no, room in the basement isn't an option right now.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:53 PM
Banned

Do everything to it that you would do to a big ol' speedboat outboard. The cold won't do any harm to it. Just look at all of the bigger boats with outboards that are outside for the winter.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:01 PM

Definitely check the gear case for any water contamination and drain and refill if you find milky gear oil. If water is left in it, it can freeze and crack the housing. Run the carb. dry, fog the cylinders and that should do it. Rick.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:27 PM

Don't leave your batteries on a concrete surface, and yes hit them a coue times over the winter with the charger @ 2amps for a couple days.