Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-15-2011, 03:35 PM

Arrow First year of ice coming up!

It'll be my first year of ice this year, and just wanting to know what the general consensus is on decent gear? Just a basic setup, I think my brother has an auger... anyone? Thanks in advance!

Old 10-15-2011, 04:41 PM

auger, and a 5 gallon bucket to sit on, can handbomb the line or use a rod, maybe a tipupthe thermal ones are nice, so are the windlass ones if it isnt overly cold

although not required a popup tent is awesome to have on a windy day, i have the eskimo quickfish 2 and 6 and love them both although nothing beats a nice day on the ice where a tent isnt required

warm clothes are def a must everything else is a nice to have, although i dont think i could go out without my marcum LX5

hope this helps
Old 10-15-2011, 05:06 PM

I think the most important thing I learned last year with ice fishing is that you need have great boots, socks and gloves.

For actual fishing, you can get a decent rod and reel for under $20. Depending on what you are fishing for will depend on what type of lures to use and if you need bait or not.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Up till 3 years ago still fished with a 5 gallon pail GOOD skidoo suit, floorboard carved fishing line holder X 5(hand fish still out fish a rod ), and an 8" hand auger with a $1 slotted spoon. And even prior to that it wasn't an auger but an axe and heavy pole to smash through old holes. A real light plastic sled is also a good buy. And a chunk of silver foil back insulation with arm holes cut out of it for a wind break. Go have some fun and figure out the hard way what ya need that makes it that much sweeter. Some good company always makes the frigid wind bareable
Old 10-15-2011, 06:33 PM

Great advice so far guys, thanks a lot.

I'm a bit of an avid winter guy, have plenty of gear to withstand the temperatures. I'm well known amongst my snowboarding buddies for hitting the hill during -25 or colder, just because nobody else is out hitting that fresh flakey powder on the ice cold chilling days! Temperature is never an issue, however fishing may present a new challange for that ice cold chill

Searching ebay for good deals at the moment, might buy a good jig set for cheap, and find a few other goodies, who knows!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM

A popup tent and a good propane heater will have you fishing a lot more often, and enjoying it more, especially on really cold windy days. Ive fished at minus 38 and not even had a chill. A gas auger will make life a lot more enjoyable also.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-15-2011, 09:46 PM

You may find the need to still buy some cold weather clothing......-25 in a active sport and -25 in ice fishing is alot different.
I have rapala ice combos for multi species that never get used....your more than welcome to one if you want. I can set you up with a selection of lures too.....good to see more ice anglers
Old 10-15-2011, 09:48 PM

dam movin to closer Cowtown one day
Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Banned

If we get together this week, I'll give you a bunch of lures for whites and walleyes. Lake White fishing will be first on my ice to do list. I'll send you some locations and what to expect. A hand crank auger is fine for early season, keeps you warm at least. ICE FISHING RULES, I'm getting antsy.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritlabradors View Post
dam movin to closer Cowtown one day
Why? and are you in need of winter fishing stuff? Just ask and I'm sure you'll have ice fishin buds or tag alongs.

Celebrate the cold like you celebrate the Summer and Winter becomes a breeze.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
If we get together this week, I'll give you a bunch of lures for whites and walleyes. Lake White fishing will be first on my ice to do list. I'll send you some locations and what to expect. A hand crank auger is fine for early season, keeps you warm at least. ICE FISHING RULES, I'm getting antsy.
Gust, I might have to show you how my beginners luck works too! I'll bring the keep warm liquids, and a good time to be had by all ... and thats coffee or cocoa if its too cold! Maybe some baileys too... mmm
Old 10-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
Gust, I might have to show you how my beginners luck works too! I'll bring the keep warm liquids, and a good time to be had by all ... and thats coffee or cocoa if its too cold! Maybe some baileys too... mmm
I'm trying to find a friend who has an old bushmans canvas hunting tent of mine,, it even has a set up for a stove pipe fire and is 20'x12' with two rooms. It would be great to get some diehards for two nights on the ice and a game of jam jar curling or shinny for the slow times.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 PM
Banned

cheap cognac should be kept on hand always
Old 10-15-2011, 10:59 PM

Amen, I love shinny! I'd be down for anything, I love being outdoors. Would just need to find myself a good -20 bag and I'll be set!
Old 10-15-2011, 11:25 PM

I strongly recommend at least a 1 man tent with a heat source. Makes all the difference in the world to me. Personally besides the comfort I find it much easier to sight fish and figure out how the fish are reacting to what I am doing with bait and rig.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Banned

Great thread,

I'll be starting ice fishing too and I don't have any gear.

I like to keep my gear very simple and minimalist.

Can anyone suggest a heater......maybe propane?

Is there any places within ~45min-1hr of Calgary anyone can suggest?

All I can really think of is Ghost Res. which might be ok for Burbot and Whities.

Or Bearspaw which might be ok for the same.

Seems everything else is more than an hour away. K-lakes, spray, PCR etc and the southern reservoirs, travers, badger, keho, newell and so on
Old 10-15-2011, 11:52 PM
Banned

i'll put a list together for you too,, and macgregor for first ice isn't too bad distance wise,, it might be a good idea to get a noobs day on the ice,,, if wayne reads this, how bouts one down your way.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:54 PM

I have a Coleman propane heater 89$ a 1 man suit case model fold up ice tent200$ i think and i caught thisIce Fishing North American WR 1985 to 2006.jpg

But if you get a 6'2" blonde 36/24/36 and add her to that sleeping bag i bet you would be warm even in -25
Old 10-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
I have a Coleman propane heater 89$ a 1 man suit case model fold up ice tent200$ i think and i caught thisAttachment 40999

But if you get a 6'2" blonde 36/24/36 and add her to that sleeping bag i bet you would be warm even in -25
Sounds about right, but she's only 5'6".
Old 10-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Sounds about right, but she's only 5'6".
does she clip her toenails???,,,, that's a dealbreaker for me, when they don't
Old 10-16-2011, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Great thread,

I'll be starting ice fishing too and I don't have any gear.

I like to keep my gear very simple and minimalist.

Can anyone suggest a heater......maybe propane?

Is there any places within ~45min-1hr of Calgary anyone can suggest?

All I can really think of is Ghost Res. which might be ok for Burbot and Whities.

Or Bearspaw which might be ok for the same.

Seems everything else is more than an hour away. K-lakes, spray, PCR etc and the southern reservoirs, travers, badger, keho, newell and so on
Heater?! I have a picture of my smiling son on PCR first time out on ice after I moved here - folding chair, hand auger, blue sky and blue ice, sled borrowed from my daughter. Two typical comments I get for the picture are: "what a beautiful day" from men and "you are a cruel father" from women. My son still enjoyed it even more than I did - first lings for him later this day.
Minimalist for me is what ever gets us fishing and hopefully catching. Having tent now is nice though.
PS. Was driving from a lake an hour ago - my car showed -8C(!) outside along the way! It's getting closer

PPS. As for lakes in 45 min range - I think there are none. Ghost would be more then that for me. South Calgary 90 min seems to be the min range for PCR, Clear, McGregor, Travers ....

Last edited by ak-71; 10-16-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:43 PM

drill a hole, pull the truck up and roll the window down half way. especially on those windy days
Old 10-16-2011, 10:55 PM

So I'll probably get a nice little 2 man tent, so I can always buddy fish.

Whats good for lures/jigs? PM with advice if you wanna keep it on the low, or feel free to post for everyones enjoyment! I'm ebay shopping tonight
Old 10-16-2011, 11:01 PM

Get a ice fish rod/reel short most outdoors store have as far as lures what are you fishing for and where
Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 PM

Well, I'll prob go for bulls at lower k, pike in various spots, maybe some pcr eyes if I get bored. Going for a bit of everything!