Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Default **River boat**Need advice**

I'm looking to purchase a river boat to be used on the S.Sask, what style, brand, length, motor, prop, jet,pros & cons, will generally be two adult & two kids, main use will be some fishing and sight seeing, i was thinkin of spending up to 10K, i realize there is lots of questions that i havn't asked so please chime in and educate me!

Thanks!!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Banned

12 foot inflatble, 4 HP 4 stroke.

SHould do, LOL

Nah I am joking.

I would think shallow haul, at least 50 hp 18 footer.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:31 PM

If you plan on moving any distance at all you'll need a jet.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
If you plan on moving any distance at all you'll need a jet.
pros & cons to a jet drive in the river??
Old 10-10-2011, 07:34 PM

Your going to have to triple your budget to get on the river with a jetboat set up for the S.S.R. You can get a little cheeper with an outboard jet but they do need more water than inboards.Have a look at Outlaw Marine out of Red Deer. They build one of the toughest jetboats going IMO.It can be dangeres you have to have a good boat to keep your family save.
Old 10-10-2011, 07:41 PM

sorry
Old 10-10-2011, 08:11 PM

sorry if my OP is misleading, i was thinkin more like a Jon boat style with a 40hp or larger, prop? jet? 16-18ft, lund? crestliner? side or center console? etc etc...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 PM

16 foot Jon with a 23 Mudbuddy motor... Not as shallow running as a jet but cheaper to run (110 K to the tank) and not bad speed. Tiller style controls.

Explorer industries in Edmonton sells them as a package, including trailer for about 10K.

I did the Pembina this year in late August with this setup. Sangudo downstream to the mouth then upstream in the Athabasca to Vega Ferry.
355 kms, 60 liters of gas. 2 adults with gear... top speed (GPS) 36 KPH, average 24KPH, cruising average was 33 kph.

They need about 8 inches to a foot of water, less if the bottom is mud.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM

I agree with dago, you wont get much of a jet boat for 10k. If you plan on using it alot spend the extra money , you wont be disapointed
Old 10-11-2011, 02:52 PM

I know a few guys who have a smokercraft 1660 sportsman (atleast that is what I think their model is, looks like the same front, which resembles the front on my harbercraft extreme shallow) with a 40/60 outboard jet on them.

They look like they run really good in the river, they say they can go in 6'' of water and do almost 30 miles / hour. They bought them brand new in the states for $15,000, I would think you could find something second hand in your price range.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:00 PM

i have been looking at a zodiak project 350 . you may want to google it .
Old 10-16-2011, 09:20 AM

The Yamaha G3's are also supposed to be really good on the river. I've heard they do 30 mph (w90/65) and are good for pretty shallow water.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scales View Post
The Yamaha G3's are also supposed to be really good on the river. I've heard they do 30 mph (w90/65) and are good for pretty shallow water.

That set up is pretty much what i was looking for, any idea of what its worth?
Old 10-16-2011, 10:18 PM

A 1656ccj w/60/40 Yamaha is $21K + tx in Alberta,16,500 in US....

I just spent the weekend fishing/hunting using an Explorer by Explorer Ind w/60/40...wow,this is one sweet boat,we hit some VERY skinny water that made a guy pucker without any issues,27mph with a load,you may want to look into these bad boyz..

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 10-17-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulestalker View Post
A 1656ccj w/60/40 Yamaha is $21K + tx in Alberta,16,500 in US....

I just spent the weekend fishing/hunting using an Explorer by Explorer Ind w/60/40...wow,this is one sweet boat,we hit some VERY skinny water that made a guy pucker without any issues,27mph with a load,you may want to look into these bad boyz..
That's the same boat I have and I love it, but double what the op is looking for on a price.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:34 PM

explain the split horsepower, is that jet and prop?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
explain the split horsepower, is that jet and prop?
Horsepower at the head as opposed to horsepower at the pump itself.
Cat
Old 10-17-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Horsepower at the head as opposed to horsepower at the pump itself.
Cat
thanks for the explanation. sounds like thats describing a man too.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-17-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
thanks for the explanation. sounds like thats describing a man too.
LMAO!!
Cat
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM

Cool

Was in bc last year and lots there what ur looking for was about 14000 give ot take but that's bc fort MAC is more and a river boat here can take a beating on the athabasca and they still want 20000 +.
plus if it is not taken care of property it could be a hole in the water for ur money I was told to buy new and u know what u got So far So good if u can ck and fix it yourself good ,else u will pay big $$$$$
Old 10-17-2011, 09:10 PM

Any suggestions for reputible dealers in Alberta that i can call to get prices??
Old 10-18-2011, 07:33 AM

Default river boat

i bought a 1648 mt crestliner from bl marine in calgary. they did a great job built the consol up front where it needs to be.the boat has a 60/40 merc. with two fat guys it runs 30 mph up stream.i have had 4 adults in it gets up on step runs 21 mph.i have run it in ankle deep water a few times. paid less than 15.000 for everything.one guy can load and launch this boat no problem
Old 10-18-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelikefish View Post
Was in bc last year and lots there what ur looking for was about 14000 give ot take but that's bc fort MAC is more and a river boat here can take a beating on the athabasca and they still want 20000 +.
plus if it is not taken care of property it could be a hole in the water for ur money I was told to buy new and u know what u got So far So good if u can ck and fix it yourself good ,else u will pay big $$$$$
The boats in Ft. mac tend to run a bit bigger than outboards, but there are still lots of them up here.
There seems to be a mud motor/jon boat trend starting as well.
I was going to change up boats this year, and go to a jon style but decided against it, simply because setting up a new boat can get pricey, and I wouldn't get much for my ten year old jet!

It's been taken care of , and still runs at the turn of a key, so I'll keep it.
120HP Sport jet inboard that runs real shallow ( 5 degree hull and just over 1,000lbs. dry) , so it will run with the outboard jets.
They don't make this little boat anymore, so if you can find one like it for a decent price, GRAB it!!
You can trailer this into a remote lake and launch it without a ramp as well.
The engine top end is the same as the 120 HP merc outboard, BTW!
Cat

Old 10-18-2011, 07:59 AM

This is what I'm running

Its a 16' jon with a Mud Buddy 23hp HD motor on it. It goes where the jet boats will go AND it also goes where the jets don't. (mud,grass,cattails,etc.)
A little slower than jets, 15Mph with 2 guys and gear. Total price $8500.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolait View Post
i bought a 1648 mt crestliner from bl marine in calgary. they did a great job built the consol up front where it needs to be.the boat has a 60/40 merc. with two fat guys it runs 30 mph up stream.i have had 4 adults in it gets up on step runs 21 mph.i have run it in ankle deep water a few times. paid less than 15.000 for everything.one guy can load and launch this boat no problem
How long ago did u buy it? Can u post some pics of your set up!

Thanks
Old 10-18-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBTUFF View Post
This is what I'm running

. It goes where the jet boats will go
Maybe an outboard jet but not a inboard.I've hade mine in spots where I'm sure you would'ent make it.
Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 PM

I guarantee a mudbuddy will go where a jet won't. Think soup. Weeds.

I WON"T take mine into real nasty stuff (hard rapids cause the boat itself is fairly small and light), but shallow? No problem... Yeah, it's a little louder and slower, but easier on gas...
Old 10-18-2011, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Brew View Post
I guarantee a mudbuddy will go where a jet won't. Think soup. Weeds.

I WON"T take mine into real nasty stuff (hard rapids cause the boat itself is fairly small and light), but shallow? No problem... Yeah, it's a little louder and slower, but easier on gas...
Your right about the soup and weeds jets dont work in that stuff.But you don't find soup or weeds or cattails in a river you find real nasty stuff,long runs of rapids full of rocks. If you run the Oldman River there are rapids,2" deep that run for hundreds of yards.Your always banging off big rocks.You need tefflon on your boat if your going to be banging off the rocks.Woudent take much to get better gallons per hour than my boat.I burn 6 to 7 g.p.h. The price you have to pay for the need for speed.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
Your right about the soup and weeds jets dont work in that stuff..But you don't find soup or weeds or cattails in a river
Took mine into some weeds on the SSR on the Saskatchewan side by accident. Boat did not like it, but with the stomp grate I was able to clear most of them, and got the rest by hand after the boat was on the trailer

Quote:
Woudent take much to get better gallons per hour than my boat.I burn 6 to 7 g.p.h. The price you have to pay for the need for speed
You have a harbercraft, right? What model? I have an extreme shallow, and I think I have been averaging about 6 mpg. At 36 miles per hour (average cruising speed). that would equal about 6 miles per gallon I think... 6 miles per gallon is actually pretty good for a jet boat from what I hear. Up to 200miles on a 35 gallon tank seems really good.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:57 PM

I have a 16ft Lynx Tuchodi Special by Outlaw Marine. With 1/2" of aluminum and 1&1/2" of tefflon on the bottom it's the thickest bottom on the market.At 1800lbs. dry the 175 merc. cruises between 35&40 mph. Top speed 43mph. A stomp grate is a must in a jetboat that runs skinny water.I drive the crap out of this boat and it has'ent let me down.