Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM
Banned

Default New Fly Fisher

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post in the forum!

I'm going into the fly fishing (a little bit late for the season) and I'm would like to go somewhere to practice the casting stuff and maybe catch my first river trout. Could somebody tell me a nice and quite place to go? I'd like the bow river but I don't know accurate locations near to the city, no so far away.

I already had all the equipment (rod, waders and boots) . Lakes or ponds would be nice as well.

Thanks!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 11:45 AM

Fishcreek Park is a good starting point on the Bow. Other popular spots on the Bow are Policeman's Flats and McKinnon Flats farther downstream. There are maps available at your local tackle shop that show where you can find access to the river.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:48 AM

Welcome aboard. One thing that is not a bad idea is to hit a school playground or some large area just to get some of your timing down before you hit a river or pond. I went out a few times and just tied a peice of yarn on the end so I can watch whats going on. Pond flyfishing is a bit easier if you have room to back cast as you dont have to deal with the water moving your fly. Then you get a good feel of the drag the water gives when you back cast (which effects your timing). Dont get frustrated (you will) and dont give up. Lots of people here to help.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

Hello!! nymphs is good to go?? thank you in advanced. I hear about policeman's flats I'm going next saturday....if the wheather helps!

all the fish must be released?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
Welcome aboard. One thing that is not a bad idea is to hit a school playground or some large area just to get some of your timing down before you hit a river or pond. I went out a few times and just tied a peice of yarn on the end so I can watch whats going on. Pond flyfishing is a bit easier if you have room to back cast as you dont have to deal with the water moving your fly. Then you get a good feel of the drag the water gives when you back cast (which effects your timing). Dont get frustrated (you will) and dont give up. Lots of people here to help.

Thanks! I will do what you told me. I know I will be frustrated sometimes...but that's the idea...keep going with all this!! Im gonna be frustrated specially because the season almost run over...but I'm going to learn also the fly tying some I'll get busy this winter.

Do you know some ponds?
Old 10-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Fishcreek Park is a good starting point on the Bow. Other popular spots on the Bow are Policeman's Flats and McKinnon Flats farther downstream. There are maps available at your local tackle shop that show where you can find access to the river.
Hello!! nymphs is good to go?? thank you in advanced. I hear about policeman's flats I'm going next saturday....if the wheather helps!

Old 10-19-2011, 12:10 PM

Yes, nymphs are probably the most productive flies at this time of year. Be careful on the Bow as it has a lot of different regulations, depending on the time of the year and what part of the river you're fishing. Try using flies like Prince Nymph, pheasant tail nymphs, or gold ribbed hare's ear. Streamers are also a good bet at this time of year (wooly buggers, etc.)

Be sure to check your regulations for keeping fish, although I'm not sure I would want to eat something from the Bow. The regulations vary depending on the time of year and stretch of river you're on.

I might also add that the Bow can be a tough river to learn on. You might have more success on a pond / lake like Darren mentioned.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackID View Post
Thanks! I will do what you told me. I know I will be frustrated sometimes...but that's the idea...keep going with all this!! Im gonna be frustrated specially because the season almost run over...but I'm going to learn also the fly tying some I'll get busy this winter.

Do you know some ponds?
Being from Edmonton not really other than what is in and around Canmore. Over the winter I usually go to the local library and get some books and videos on learning to fly fish. PS - you dont need to learn every knot, or pattern, or be an expert on bugs to start. That comes with time invested which of course is going fishing.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Yes, nymphs are probably the most productive flies at this time of year. Be careful on the Bow as it has a lot of different regulations, depending on the time of the year and what part of the river you're fishing. Try using flies like Prince Nymph, pheasant tail nymphs, or gold ribbed hare's ear. Streamers are also a good bet at this time of year (wooly buggers, etc.)

Be sure to check your regulations for keeping fish, although I'm not sure I would want to eat something from the Bow. The regulations vary depending on the time of year and stretch of river you're on.

I might also add that the Bow can be a tough river to learn on. You might have more success on a pond / lake like Darren mentioned.
I'm going to the policeman's flats, do you know if is still open to fishing? I checked at the alberta fishing guide (albertafishingguide.com) and doesn't say anything about this portion of the river....I'm not sure! let's see!

I want to go to try maybe two o three hours, just to lose the fear about it...especially to know how I feel with all this equipment. But no doubt I will try maybe some pond on sunday or even saturday noon.

You are right, I don't want the fish from the bow.

Thank you!!!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Downstream of the weir in Calgary to Carsland Weir...
Limit 1 trout UNDER 35cm (i.e. less than 14")
Limit 5 whitefish OVER 30 cm

All trout over 35 cm must be released.
All bull trout must be released.

Honestly, I do not know anybody who keeps fish from the Bow. The Bow is still an amazing fishery because anglers tend to respect catch and release regardless of the fish size.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren N View Post
Being from Edmonton not really other than what is in and around Canmore. Over the winter I usually go to the local library and get some books and videos on learning to fly fish. PS - you dont need to learn every knot, or pattern, or be an expert on bugs to start. That comes with time invested which of course is going fishing.
What books could you please suggested me? about fly fishing and maybe fly tying.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Downstream of the weir in Calgary to Carsland Weir...
Limit 1 trout UNDER 35cm (i.e. less than 14")
Limit 5 whitefish OVER 30 cm

All trout over 35 cm must be released.
All bull trout must be released.

Honestly, I do not know anybody who keeps fish from the Bow. The Bow is still an amazing fishery because anglers tend to respect catch and release regardless of the fish size.
Hello!! Do you know if is still open for fishing? yeah! i wont keep it.

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Hello!! Do you know if is still open for fishing? yeah! i wont keep it.

Thanks!
Between the weirs, it is open all year.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
Between the weirs, it is open all year.
ohh really??????????? wow what a good news!! so i have until get really cold....maybe one more month! do you know policeman's flats? some pond?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
I'm going to the policeman's flats, do you know if is still open to fishing? I checked at the alberta fishing guide (albertafishingguide.com) and doesn't say anything about this portion of the river....I'm not sure! let's see!

I want to go to try maybe two o three hours, just to lose the fear about it...especially to know how I feel with all this equipment. But no doubt I will try maybe some pond on sunday or even saturday noon.

You are right, I don't want the fish from the bow.

Thank you!!!
If you don't have a copy, you should pick up a copy of the fishing regulations. It has detailed regulations for the Bow. The Bow is open all year from the weir in the City of Calgary to the weir at Caresland, so yes, Policeman's Flats is open to fishing.

There is a link to the regulations on AO here:

http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 10-19-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
What books could you please suggested me? about fly fishing and maybe fly tying.

Thanks!
I found each library had different books and videos. Most that were usefull were called "Flyfishing for Begginers" or "Basic Flyfishing". Your computer guide at the library when you punch in flyfishing will show you whats available. Some of it is repetative, some of the info you will never use, read it over and find what works for you and your area. Most Fishing stores have that stuff too but it gets pricy. I bought a few as well but scanned through the book first to see if its what I'm looking for. I filled my head with some knowledge, then found a friend or two to mentor me on the river... I'm still learning everytime I go out. You dont have to be the best, as long as you know enough to keep you happy.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:49 PM

I think there is a little trout pond in Strathmore that you could go chuck some nymphs at. It will give you plenty of space for back casts and give you hands on with some nymphs and actually try to get some fish.

The advice of casting in a field with yarn is also a very good idea. Set up a few frisbees or something similar and use them as targets to cast to. This will help down the road when you spot a fish that you don't want to spook.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I think there is a little trout pond in Strathmore that you could go chuck some nymphs at. It will give you plenty of space for back casts and give you hands on with some nymphs and actually try to get some fish.

The advice of casting in a field with yarn is also a very good idea. Set up a few frisbees or something similar and use them as targets to cast to. This will help down the road when you spot a fish that you don't want to spook.
Hello!! Do you know how can I get to the Strathmore pond? I would like to go down there to get some fish for my first time.

The frisbees idea is really good, i will try it.

Thank you!!
Old 10-19-2011, 03:53 PM

Go and get Jim McLennan's book Blue Ribbon Bow
it has tonnes of tips

For practicing, use an indicator, weight and a couple of nymphs with the points cut off. You can practice all day with a piece a wool and then when you tie up a nymph rig you will realize that a piece of wool casts NOTHING like a nymph rig. 70% of your beginning fly fishing will be nymphing especially this time of year.... practice how you will fish

Roll cast, roll cast, roll cast