Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 05:44 PM

Default Fly Fishing

Hey guys , I have a bit of money to spend on some fishing gear , I tried fly fishing once and it was a blast but it wasn't in alberta . So basically the question is wether I should get a fly fishing rod ? Is there enough places that are good for fly fishing ? Thanks !
Old 04-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Yes there are all I use now is my fly rod. Trout in April. Pike in May and June during run off. Back to mountain streams for trout till they close in October. Then on to the bow for the winter. You can't buy just one rod for all these things as I have three I use the most. 3 wt for small stream trout or my 4 wt. 8 wt for pike and my 6 wt for the bow.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycoma View Post
Yes there are all I use now is my fly rod. Trout in April. Pike in May and June during run off. Back to mountain streams for trout till they close in October. Then on to the bow for the winter. You can't buy just one rod for all these things as I have three I use the most. 3 wt for small stream trout or my 4 wt. 8 wt for pike and my 6 wt for the bow.
thankyou ! i might just have to get one
Old 04-24-2014, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishAb View Post
Hey guys , I have a bit of money to spend on some fishing gear , I tried fly fishing once and it was a blast but it wasn't in alberta . So basically the question is wether I should get a fly fishing rod ? Is there enough places that are good for fly fishing ? Thanks !
NOPE
(kidding)....
yes get a fly rod and explore northern bc... still joking
The Bow River is world class fly fishing stream.

i think youtube will answer a lot of questions
try fishing+"bow river"
Old 04-24-2014, 06:19 PM

No problem but like I said decide on your intended quarry then decide where you will be fishing most. Streams, rivers, or lakes. If your after trout I would say no heavier then a 6 wt but if you plan on smaller streams 4wt or even a 5 wt. What ever you decide I hope you enjoy it.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
With your location I would consider a belly boat they have come down a lot. There are lots of pothole lakes your way to learn how to cast and catch some beauties as we'll. Once you have figured out the cast go south and find some streams to try.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:37 PM

fly fishing is the only way to fish for trout! I find it far more productive most days than when I was spinning.

Lots of water near calgary too, ya never know... if it moves and its not full of crap, there might be trout in it
Old 04-25-2014, 06:35 PM

Go take a gander at the fly fishing forum on here.

then go buy an echo solo outfit and get cookin

there's a bit of a learning curve, but IMO nothing beats a dry fly take! I've got hundreds of dollars of baitcasters, spinning rods, and lures that I very rarely use anymore. Fly fishing is just too much fun.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-26-2014, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
Go take a gander at the fly fishing forum on here.

then go buy an echo solo outfit and get cookin

there's a bit of a learning curve, but IMO nothing beats a dry fly take! I've got hundreds of dollars of baitcasters, spinning rods, and lures that I very rarely use anymore. Fly fishing is just too much fun.
x2 - except get yourself a used unit for your first learning rod. you'll smack your tip a few times, chop up some line... always nice to have some second hand to learn with and than once you get the feel for it, purchase something nice.
just my opinion though...
Old 04-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Thankyou guys ! All of you ! I started looking into one to buy! Thanks guys
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
x2 - except get yourself a used unit for your first learning rod. you'll smack your tip a few times, chop up some line... always nice to have some second hand to learn with and than once you get the feel for it, purchase something nice.
just my opinion though...
no tip smacking on the river!

seriously though, weather you get a used rod, or a combo rod, you'll enjoy it. I like Echo because they've got a good warranty and they're pretty durable and extremely well priced. Can't go wrong with a TFO or Redington for your first rod either. My first rod was s pflueger trion and I still love it.

watch out for that bow though, it'll leave a good skunk smell on you until you learn to fish it well. Even then it's a fickle mistress. Head down to the highwood, or any foothills stream and you'll have a lot of fun and some more elbow room.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 04-26-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
You should definitely get a fly rod! It is so worth while, there are great places in the mountains for trout and mountain whitefish, lots of prairie and community ponds with trout to fish for, lake whitefish are also a blast to catch on a fly rod, and as others have said.....a pike fight awesome on a fly rod! One recommendation that I have is if you are planning to take fly fishing seriously, get into fly tying. It is so great to catch a fish on a fly you have made. If you want to check out some of my personal favorite flies, check out some videos that I have posted on my youtube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/FishCrazytoTheCore

My personal favorite is the stimulator. I can always catch something on it. To me it is the most versatile fly around.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:42 PM

I must agree with some others, fly fishing is very much fun. I am new to this area but have been trying to find good fishing for trouts, streams now that winter has almost gone, will return to some stocked locations that some of the members here helped me know about. I have fish for them before on a fly and it was one of my best fishing I have had. You will not regret it, it's so relax and nice even if you catch no fishe at all.