Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 09:43 AM

Default Hutterites and deer hides

Someone on here mentioned that some Hutterite colonies take raw deer hides (in exchange for a pair of deerskin gloves from what I remember). Anyone have any specifics on this? Particularly in the Edmonton/Athabasca/Whitecourt/LLB areas (I plan to get around a bit this season ).

I got a hide tanned last year and like it alot (even though I did a good job giving it a very non-deer shape) but don't really have much use for too many more. Seems a waste to leave it in the bush if someone else can use it.

Any info would be helpful.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:50 AM

Yip.....they make great ropers. I buy mine from Holden or Camrose colony. If I skin a deer in the field, I just give it to the closest colony, same with 'yotes. They always let me hunt on the colonies, so no big deal.

They also do great wool hunting socks and if ya ever need a goosedown quilt....well they are great
Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 AM

Default tanning

Manning Colony is likely a good starting point, most of the colonies have someone that does their leather work during the winter. If they don't do it any more, they will/should be able to send you in the right direction. If you have a colony closer than Manning, just stop around and ask.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Gone Hunting

The Alberta Fish and Game Association has a hide donation program each year. Usually a local club will have a place to drop them off and then they are picked up by Halford Hide. $ for the hides go to the AF&GA and into the Wildlife Trust Fund which buys parcels of land to preserve for wildlife Habitat. Hunters can hunt on these lands and their location is listed on AF&GA web site.

Is is not a big effort to donate a hide instead of "wasting it" and the $ benifits Wildlife and Hunters. Win Win.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 09-18-2009, 07:00 AM

...but the AFG don't give you no gloves!!!
Old 09-18-2009, 07:18 AM

the last time I gave hides to a colony I got absolutely nothing back.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy4 View Post
The Alberta Fish and Game Association has a hide donation program each year. Usually a local club will have a place to drop them off and then they are picked up by Halford Hide. $ for the hides go to the AF&GA and into the Wildlife Trust Fund which buys parcels of land to preserve for wildlife Habitat. Hunters can hunt on these lands and their location is listed on AF&GA web site.

Is is not a big effort to donate a hide instead of "wasting it" and the $ benifits Wildlife and Hunters. Win Win.
Thanks Duff, I totally forgot about that option. Maybe I'll call ahead on the gloves thing too. If I'm going to donate it I might as well send it somewhere that will benefit wildlife.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:18 PM

Default Where to donate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copidosoma View Post
Thanks Duff, I totally forgot about that option. Maybe I'll call ahead on the gloves thing too. If I'm going to donate it I might as well send it somewhere that will benefit wildlife.
If you get on the AFGA.org web page and go to Conservation and under hide collection, there is a list of where you can donate your hides. Probably most places don't have freezers so for this time of year if you can drop them off directly (For Edmonton Area) at Halford Hides 8629 126 ave in Edmonton. Best phone first and make sure they are open 780-474-4989 it will save the volunteers a lot of stink and mess at their collection boxes.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:48 PM

Think its 3 hides for a pair of gloves at Halford. Or if ya want the money last time it was $2.00 - $2.50, Moose $4.50.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ View Post
the last time I gave hides to a colony I got absolutely nothing back.
A little bit of Vodka and a BS session will make all the difference....
Old 09-19-2009, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackpheasant View Post
A little bit of Vodka and a BS session will make all the difference....
Uh, no. This guy was pretty adamant about not giving me what I was owed. So, next year when they came for hides the answer was no, and continues to be so for that colony. This bunch won't even give up a jar of jelly to you if you give them the fruit of your tree.

Oh and not all of the bosses like vodka. Crown Royal seems to be the mechanics top choice.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:17 AM

Thumbs up

can't speak for any of the colonies up here. My folks live down near Claresholm and dad deals with the Granum colony quite a bit. We bring our hides, we get gloves. We bring in whole yotes, they give us 1/2 the market value of the finished pelt. They've also fixed shoes and boots for us and have slipped the odd turkey, jars of jam etc into the back of the truck.

Every time I get down there with the youngin's, we visit and they show us the new lambs or the new litters of pups that they always seem to have. My wife is obsessed with Great Pyrenees dogs so she gets her fix, sometimes for hours on end. Great folks on that colony for sure.

We have access to hunt gophers, coyotes and deer on their HUGE tract of land in the foothills on the west side of Hwy 2.

bigd