Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-25-2012, 11:27 AM

Default I know this guy...

So I know this guy, he just had some body work done on his truck. It was an insurance claim type deal so the guy just had to pay out the deductible. So the truck gets dropped off, 4 days later it's done. Truck gets picked up, they did excellent work, buddy's happy and drives home. The next day he needs to hop on the highway for part of his journey from point a - b. Accelerating into the on-ramp, 80km/h, the tonneau cover flies off the back of his truck.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?
Old 11-25-2012, 11:41 AM

So you're saying the body shop was responsible for not securing his tonneau cover? Might be hard to prove. Not sure, the body shop could say they did it up but depending on the cover it might be able to be undone by anyone on the street?? Was it parked in a garage over night? I think we need more info here.

If the body shop fights this it could be tough going and hard to prove whose fault it is, if that's where you are going??
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM

It was not parked in a garage overnight. I'm not sure who would be responsible in this situation? I mean, does he have to insure the hood is properly fastened also before driving away from the body shop?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:20 PM

Where was the work done on.....the box? Does seem very likely something was done at the body shop. Who does this to themselves. And On the street I doubt most theives spend the time to disconnect a tonneau cover in front of someone's house.....too long...too obvious....need two guys.....need tools.....need to know how to....etc.

If anything other than body shop, it could be one of their employees....truck is in the back of shop, private location, tools, no one around after work....maybe just thought about it and abandoned the theft, or a disgruntled employee.

Unless the tonneau cover was crap, I can't see too many situations where it happened at anyplace other than bodyshop.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:23 PM

Like BlackHeart says. Where was the repair on the vehicle done?

My first call would be back to the insurance comapny and then the shop foreman.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:26 PM

It was pretty pricey, around the 900$ mark on sale. There was work done on the box, that's why I'm lead to believe they must of had it off. If there was an issue with then re-installing it, they should have just told him to do it himself right?
Old 11-25-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMisler View Post
It was pretty pricey, around the 900$ mark on sale. There was work done on the box, that's why I'm lead to believe they must of had it off. If there was an issue with then re-installing it, they should have just told him to do it himself right?
If they fix your passenger front fender, do you need to check your passenger door to see if it's still bolted to the car? ?
Whatever they disconnected, they are responsible to reconnect....otherwise leave it alone......or at the very very least, let you know there is a problem that stopped them for reconnecting WHAT THEY MESSED WITH.

And if they did reconnect it, they didn't do it properly. Pretty hard for these things to leave the box.....even the hinges or the hydraulic rods would stop it....seems it was put back on top and everyone thought the other guy did the connection.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post

What do you think the insurance company would do?
Old 11-25-2012, 01:10 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
So I know this guy, he just had some body work done on his truck. It was an insurance claim type deal so the guy just had to pay out the deductible. So the truck gets dropped off, 4 days later it's done. Truck gets picked up, they did excellent work, buddy's happy and drives home. The next day he needs to hop on the highway for part of his journey from point a - b. Accelerating into the on-ramp, 80km/h, the tonneau cover flies off the back of his truck.

Thoughts? Comments? Questions?
I am wondering why i open this tread my bad

Last edited by last minute; 11-25-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM

If it was me in that situation, I'd be back at the body shop NOW.
But then, I'm that kind of guy who has a set!

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
If it was me in that situation, I'd be back at the body shop NOW.
But then, I'm that kind of guy who has a set!
If it were you in the situation you would be sitting outside a closed body shop..set or not you need a brain to go with em
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
If it were you in the situation you would be sitting outside a closed body shop..set or not you need a brain to go with em
Well you asked for thoughts, comments or suggestions.
I re read your op and I do not see anything where the body shop is closed for buisness.
Is part of the story that they took the money and then went out of buisness?
Is this a slow day for you? Trying to get a rise out of ppl.
Learn how to tell a story with all the facts in place from the start.
If you want to keep adding fuel to the fire as the thread continues, well then don't be insulting fellow members on this board for giving "thoughts, suggestions or comments" as you asked for.
Try to be respectfull. If you can. If not, then have one of the mods delete your thread.
Carry on as though you're normal!

Come to think of it now, is "this guy" you?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:35 PM

Not trying to insult, but your comment about being someone with a set, is insulting. Regardless of whether it be me or a friend, your comment claims them to be without a set. It's Sunday, most body shops aren't open on Sunday's. I'm not adding any fuel, I'm just playing a hand along with your comment. Not to many facts to go along with the story until the body shop is in touch.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:37 PM

I think I am now in the same camp as last minute. WHAT HE SAID!
See ya!

Old 11-25-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
I think I am now in the same camp as last minute. WHAT HE SAID!
See ya!
The game hasn't even started... slow down on the wobbly pops
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post

X2

Picked up my repaired (lol) pickup (stolen and wrecked from another repair shop btw)
from insurance companies “most highly recommended” shop 6wks beyond their solemn and guaranteed promise.

Drove it + two horse straight from YYC to Cold Lake. Picked up a 1400lb horse and drove directly back (1350 km round trip). Next day I called at my mechanic friends shop to repair my passenger right front tire(slow leak). Mechanic points to the passenger rear wheel- 3 lugs are gonzo-three more loose playing a tune- last two are barely finger tight!!!

That insurance company highly recommended repair shop had just replaced the beauty cap (wheel had to be removed and reinstalled to complete the process).

Good luck gettin honest answers, that experience (near disaster) was an epic fail on the repair shop owning up and the/my insurance company following through like they should have.

Always always double and triple check any repair work done, zero as in absolutely no exceptions.

Last edited by creeky; 11-25-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-26-2012, 05:02 AM

Well when I hear about it, I'll let you guys know what happened. Until then, thanks for the useful input!

Lol @ kronk
Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 AM

go into the body shop but not fists a flying...