Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2014, 06:28 PM

Default Shimano Products...

Hey guys n gals,

So I won a $1000 shimano card and can buy pretty much any Shimano Brand gear (fishing related) I want.

I want to find a couple setups for fishing in Shuswap, and up the rivers up there as an alternative to the fly for my dad to use with me.

I know nothing really about their gear (reel wise) and am looking for some input.

Thanks in advance,

Slivers
Old 04-04-2014, 08:07 PM

Awesome prize!

Depending on what your fishing for a great spinning rod/reel combo of Shimano gear would be a Stradic reel matched with a Crucial rod. Smooth reels, light sensitive rods and unmatched warranty. Hard to go wrong.

Have Fun.

http://fish.shimano.com/
Old 04-04-2014, 08:15 PM

x2 on the Stradic reel!
Old 04-04-2014, 08:54 PM

You can't go wrong with a Shimano Tekota 300 LC (line counter) in any size. It is the best level wind I own, for price and performance.

I also like the Symetre reels, they have been great to me over the years. I prefer the Symetre RJ, with the fighting drag. Easy to give a fish some room to run with a flick of your thumb.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:37 PM

Congratulations, great prize. I am field staff member for Shimano and the Stradic CI4 + new for this year now has the X Ship gearing which eliminates flex on main gear which keeps reel smooth even under torque and the frame is a new composition that is 250 times stronger than last year. It is awesome reel. Shimano is partnered with G Loomis as well so you can pick out some beautiful rods. I have a spinning 2pc 7ft 6 HSR9000 IMX for walleye but would also be perfect for trout. For trolling a line counter Tekota with a Technium rod would be great match. If you have any questions just send me a PM and I be glad to help. Happy Shopping.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:08 PM

The reels are great the rods are junk except Loomis. The walleye compres are as sensitive as an ugly stick. Get Loomis rods with shimano reels.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:30 AM

The Stradics are great reels. Either the FI or the new CI4+ won't disappoint you. The Symetre is also great bang for your buck. For casting I'd recommend the 3000 size for sure.

I think the Tekotas are hands down the best linecounters you can buy. I'd suggest going with the 500LC or possibly the 600LC depending on your application. The extra line capacity (lets you run leadcore), faster/stronger retrieve, and more powerful drag system on the 500 and up size reels is well worth any penalty you pay in reel size. Remember, they spend most of the time in a rod holder anyway.

The Compre rods are IM 9 graphite and have full Fuji aluminium oxide guides, they're about as far from an ugly stick as you can get. They're a good quality option and stack up nicely against similarly priced rods in the $100-150 range. They have a lifetime over the counter warranty too. The Crucial and Cumara lines are another option, especially when you're getting in the MH power rods. The new Cumaras are beautiful.

Last edited by Walleyedude; 04-05-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:50 PM

I like their reels and have had nothing but good luck with them.

Although my favorite reels are Abu Garcia, I have a Calcutta round bait-caster, a couple Stradic or Sustain spinning reels and recently purchased a Chronarch low profile baitcaster ..... all of which are great reels. All are that mid to higher end price point ( $170 to $300 ) and this is where Shimano shines.

As far as rods I have over a dozen Shimano rods from the mid end stuff up to the higher end Shimano rods ..... they make a great mid range rod ( $60-$120) but I prefer my Loomis or St.Croix rods if I'm spending a bit more ..... I can feel the difference.

You will enjoy spending the $1000 ....... I'd suggest getting 3 nice combos with the $ 1000 ..... you won't be disappointed. Congrats !!!!!!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
The Stradics are great reels. Either the FI or the new CI4+ won't disappoint you. The Symetre is also great bang for your buck. For casting I'd recommend the 3000 size for sure.

I think the Tekotas are hands down the best linecounters you can buy. I'd suggest going with the 500LC or possibly the 600LC depending on your application. The extra line capacity (lets you run leadcore), faster/stronger retrieve, and more powerful drag system on the 500 and up size reels is well worth any penalty you pay in reel size. Remember, they spend most of the time in a rod holder anyway.

The Compre rods are IM 9 graphite and have full Fuji aluminium oxide guides, they're about as far from an ugly stick as you can get. They're a good quality option and stack up nicely against similarly priced rods in the $100-150 range. They have a lifetime over the counter warranty too. The Crucial and Cumara lines are another option, especially when you're getting in the MH power rods. The new Cumaras are beautiful.
Fenwicks blow any shimano compre or crucial out of the water if you used them you would be able to compare.

Spend the 1000 on the reels stay away from the rods.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crf250xtom View Post
Fenwicks blow any shimano compre or crucial out of the water if you used them you would be able to compare.

Spend the 1000 on the reels stay away from the rods.
What Fenwick rods do you prefer? I used to own one of the older walleye classic rods and HMG rods, but have not purchased one since then (15 years ago?) I have tried some of their stuff since then but never found anything I really liked.

I know rods can be a personal preference, I am just curious why you are such a fan of the Fenwick and what specific rods you like, I might have to give them another look. I own a couple of the Crucial rods and quite like them, but I am always open to look at something that is better!

Last edited by bobalong; 04-05-2014 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
What Fenwick rods do you prefer? I used to own one of the older walleye classic rods and HMG rods, but have not purchased one since then (15 years ago?) I have tried some of their stuff since then but never found anything I really liked.

I know rods can be a personal preference, I am just curious why you are such a fan of the Fenwick and what specific rods you like, I might have to give them another look. I own a couple of the Crucial rods and quite like them, but I am always open to look at something that is better!
Fenwick has nice products but they aren't my go to rod I was just saying for around the same price shimano doesn't hold a match to Fenwicks. The new hmg are really nice they aren't no Loomis but they are way better then shimanos. This isn't just my preference I know lots of people who think shimano makes awful rods.

and for around the same price you can get a lower end St. Croix which is also better then shimano and a little better then Fenwick. Also the shimano rods don't have "over the counter" warranty they will be sent to shimano just like other companies Fenwick, Loomis, St . Croix.

Just trying to help the op spend it all the reels and by other rods if you can't get Loomis with the prize.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:00 AM

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I am somewhat settled on what to get.

I know some people indicated going to another brand for rods, but as far as my clarus that I already own for pike goes, I'm satisfied with the quality of rod.

I'm looking to use my entire gift card, and only need a couple setups as I fly fish primarily, and am unsure if they will transfer it to gloomis (Wouldn't that be a gift!!!!!!)

Thanks a bunch!

Slivers
Old 04-06-2014, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Fenwick has nice products but they aren't my go to rod I was just saying for around the same price shimano doesn't hold a match to Fenwicks. The new hmg are really nice they aren't no Loomis but they are way better then shimanos. This isn't just my preference I know lots of people who think shimano makes awful rods.

and for around the same price you can get a lower end St. Croix which is also better then shimano and a little better then Fenwick. Also the shimano rods don't have "over the counter" warranty they will be sent to shimano just like other companies Fenwick, Loomis, St . Croix.

Just trying to help the op spend it all the reels and by other rods if you can't get Loomis with the prize.
From the Shimano site:
Quote:
Clarus rods are backed by Shimano’s limited lifetime over the counter replacement policy.

All Compre rods are built out of IM-9 Graphite and come with Shimano Custom Reel seats and Fuji Guides. All backed by Shimano limited lifetime over the counter replacement policy.
So yeah...actually a lot of the Shimano rods have the limited lifetime OTC warranty.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 04-06-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
From the Shimano site:

So yeah...actually a lot of the Shimano rods have the limited lifetime OTC warranty.
I know it says that but try and get replacement like that at stores good luck. And with that you will see that it is to the store discretion if they think you broke it will be sent away is all I'm trying to say.

But have fun with the gift card if you can use it on Loomis you could get a pretty nice fly rod.

Also if you are using the rods for pike then you will not notice any problems as soon as you start using them for walleye is when you notice the sensitivity.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:32 AM

Quote:

I don't have any direct experience with the Fenwick rods other than what I've heard from others and checking them out at the store, doesn't sound like you do either, but I agree, they are really nice rods and are a good value.

Rods are a personal preference, you'll find lots of people that like or don't like any brand. I don't think you can buy an "awful" rod these days if you're buying any rod in the $100 range.

Shimano rods do have an over the counter warranty, but it's a warranty against defects, not against abuse. Simply take the rod and your receipt back to where you bought it, and in most cases, they'll give you another one on the spot. If it's pretty clear that the damage was not due to a defect in workmanship but that the rod was slammed in a car door or stepped on, then the warranty claim will be at Shimano's discretion and it will have to be sent to them. That seems pretty fair to me.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:06 PM

I used to be loomis fan until I had a salmon rod snap while fighting its first salmon. They did not honour the warranty and I had to pay to get a replacement rod. I have had good luck with their reels and obviously agree that their rods aren't very good.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:08 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:

Wierd cause this random sight says they make a great rod http://www.thebestfishingrodguide.co...ng-rod-review/.

Ive found carp and float rods in 3-400 £ mark cant see them being junk for that price. First class gear ime I have a 9' heavy that throws 4oz quite well for the buget ime perfect for bar fishing or trolling salmon .. bit long for the boat. Check out the shimano line lots of fine rods in every price range.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deschambault View Post
I used to be loomis fan until I had a salmon rod snap while fighting its first salmon. They did not honour the warranty and I had to pay to get a replacement rod. I have had good luck with their reels and obviously agree that their rods aren't very good.
Same with me about 10-12 years ago, nice rod but warranty really sucked. I refused to pay the almost 100.00 replacement cost, and chose to toss the rod. The rod was bought on a staff order, so much better price than regular retail.

Might be better now that Shimano owns them, but with the quality of rods other manufacturers are putting out, I have not bothered to get another one.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post

Fenwick is my personal favorite, good rods and afforadable. I have set-up a MH 6'10" HMX spinning rod with a shimano Saros 2500 that I absolutely love for pike and even pulling bottom bouncers, I have 2 eagle GT's both 6'6" one medium spinning That I use as jigging rod, very sensitive tip, I first thought it might be a little to soft in comparison to what I prefer but I have it paired with a shimano Saros 1000 and love it! The 2nd eagle GT I just bought, got it Friday in the mail is a MH 6'6" bait caster paired with a Shimano Caenan, I like the way it feels, this is replacing an old Berkeley series one I broke, can't wait to use it!
I also have the Fenwick elite tech 7'2" med spinning that I use for riggin, and I have 3 ice fishing rods, a MH, M & ML, love these rods!!! The area favorite ice rods I have owned to date, so I have one for every scenario!

As for reels, Shimano is my favorite, I have a custom loomis spinning rod with a Stella that is my go to jigging rod, problem is it's worth so much I rarely wanna pull it out!

I also have a Calcutta reel that's works like a champ! But I really enjoyed the 2 Saro's I picked up last year, good reel for a reasonable price.

Edit* also have a shimano curado baitcast reel I've been using about 6 years now and it has never let me down! I did have to get my Stella repaired last year, couple bearings went but I've owned this reel for close to 10 years, brought it to the reel doctor and he fixed it up as good as new!

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 04-23-2014, 09:57 PM

Well - heres is what I've enquired to 'shimano's online retail pricing'

Stradic Ci4 4000 FA
TEK500LC

the tekora is what I choise for a trolling reel... seems like a good buy!