Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-20-2014, 07:27 AM

Default Boat trailer tires

Well I got a 16.5 ish foot lund rebel and it came with a shore lander trailer, only has 13 inch wheels. I traveled much of Alberta and saskatchewan last summer and put considerable wear in the tires. Enough I want to put new tires on before the season, the tires were carlisle and believe they were bias ply tires still. Anyways I am looking at the weight rating of the tires and they are almost borderline with my boat and motor and full tank of fuel. So I figure for longer life for tires I was going to look at 15 inch tires and wheels. I have a connection for some sweet wheels for the trailer but wondering what you find/ consider the best tire. I am not concerned about cost as long as its a good tire. Last thing I want is to have to change a tire in the dark after a day of fishing. I will have to do some modifications with spacers for the fenders to raise them a bit but nothing crazy.

So I guess the question is if you were to put tiresome your trailer what brand would you choose again?

And does it seem reasonable to put the 15" wheels on or not worth it?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:36 AM

I had a local trailer company put a heavy duty axle and bigger tires on my trailer, only downside is I need more water to launch in the river. not sure what brand they are, pretty sure they are 14s . tows a whole lot better

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 AM

Default Tires

Most of the ST tires are made in China now and there is little or no difference in brands. Even the Goodyear Marathon is made in China. It sounds like you got pretty good performance out of your tires with a lot of miles put on. Princess Auto sells a complete wheel and tire assembly on sale for a hundred bucks in the ST 175/80/13R. These are radials. I use them on a tandem 23 ft travel trailer that loaded is in the 4000lb range and have had good luck with them. Just maintain the proper tire pressures and watch for even wear. If you overload you will notice extreme wear on the inside tread because the axles will splay. Don't think I would switch to 15 inch.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Banned

Bigger tires means bigger fenders. When I upgraded from 155-80D13 to 175-80R13 I had to do some body and fender work that included drilling because the original fender bolts also keep the axle in place on the frame. That is a 16' ShoreLandr trailer.

One size wider and there is less than 1/4" between the rubber and the frame. A taller tire will be wider also. Check for tolerances before purchasing.

If it works out and you go ahead, check alignment and straighten the axle to avoid premature failure through scuffing. Well worth the extra cost because you already DID NOT purchase the cheapest crappy tires you could find.

Hope that helps.

Free
Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 AM

You will notice a huge improvement in the ride quality going to a 15" tire
Old 04-20-2014, 09:35 AM

Carlisle is most likely the cheapest trailer tire you can buy.

Take the boat to Kal Tire or some reputable tire store, they can fit you with the correct tires.

To change over to larger wheels may be a lot more than you planned on. If that is the direction you decide then I would look at taking the boat to Standens and having a new axle, hubs installed. You will also have to order new fenders fro Shorelander.

GOOD LUCK

BTW I had Standens change out the axle hubs and bearings on my EZ and it was less than $600
Old 04-20-2014, 09:39 AM

I was thinking an upgrade for my Lund also, I feel it slam on occasion after a big / sudden bump from lack of travel in the leafs :0 not a good feeling. I also don't have a spare mount on the the trailer so I'll have one build and welded on (painted) this spring along with the transom saver I picked up. The first year I had my boat I got to experience tread separation half way to cold lake, just lucky I picked up a spare and threw it in the box the day before
Old 04-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Talk to a spring shop, you may be able to add a leaf? I would definitely upgrade the tire size. Not sure if I would go 15" though, careful with the height, might be hard to launch in some AB lakes. I had 15" GY Marathon tires on my 5'ver, never had a problem with them but a lot of people do so I went with Carlisle Radial Trail tires this time. Also have Marathons on my boat trailer, no problems. My dad upgraded from 12's to 13's (tires only) on a lighter set-up, it made a huge difference in ride quality. The only mods needed were 4 galvanized brackets to lift the fenders slightly.

If you change axles go with the Liqui-Lube hubs.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 AM

Maxxis trailer tires are pretty decent. I've had a set on my boat trailer for the last few years and I've hardly noticed any wear. These are are 15" tire...
Old 04-20-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxcore View Post
I was thinking an upgrade for my Lund also, I feel it slam on occasion after a big / sudden bump from lack of travel in the leafs :0 not a good feeling. I also don't have a spare mount on the the trailer so I'll have one build and welded on (painted) this spring along with the transom saver I picked up. The first year I had my boat I got to experience tread separation half way to cold lake, just lucky I picked up a spare and threw it in the box the day before
Iboats.com sell a very inexpensive spare tire carrier, goes on just below the bow towards the front of the trailer.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Good discussion guys

Never considered the height of trailer in the shallow launches, I would have to do some spacers on the fenders and longer bolts as the fenders bolt to a plate off the frame so no effect to the axle, I might look at 14 inch I just had a few free 15 inch wheels same blot pattern from work. It looks like I got enough room for width in the wheel well between the fender. I'll have to do some digging, as stated I don't mind replacing the tires every year at 13" there cheap enough just figured better ride bearings turning slower and more reliable. Ill do some digging and keep this updated.

Went out to stargaze shed and picked the boat up today musta looked like a loser driving home and every lake around is still iced up
Thanks
Old 04-20-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Iboats.com sell a very inexpensive spare tire carrier, goes on just below the bow towards the front of the trailer.
Awesome thanks!
Old 04-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Default Similar issue

I am in the same boat, pardon the pun! I am curious to hear the options. I need to replace my 13" boat trailer tires as well.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:15 PM

I upgraded my 13" tires to 15" for $132 ea on rims at princess auto when they were on sale. Same time got a 4" drop axle with hubs from standens for $630. Trailer was actually lower When if was all said and done ( under slung)
Old 04-21-2014, 06:46 PM

if buying new tires go with the goodyear marathons best trailer tires on market.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
Canadian tire has them. Just bought one for like $7.00
Old 04-21-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

I would check with Trailers Unlimited, they had the best price for rim/tire when I bought one for my trailer last fall.
http://www.trailersunlimited.com/
Old 04-22-2014, 01:47 PM

I strongly suggest upgrading to radials. Should they become "flat" they don't completely pancake and shred on the highway creating a potentially dangerous situation (more common with bias ply tires with less rigidity ).

They will also last longer and the extra weight helps track the trailer straighter. maybe $20-$30 bucks more per tire but worth every penny.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:58 PM

Honestly I sell tires for a living and I would save the coin and put on a set of westlakes. Also I would at the very least switch to a radial from bias to improve the ride and stop the bouncing I am sure you got
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 PM

Just an FYI, April 29th to May 11th, Princess has a Carlisle ST205/75 R14 tire/galvanized rim combo, 5 on 4-1/2 in bolt pattern for 159.99 (reg 229.99).
Old 06-01-2014, 07:58 AM

And for the update ended up finding take offs at barry jays marine and they have me a great deal, ended up having to lift the fender a little and could go more but it got me going.
Old 06-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Maxxis trailer tires are pretty decent. I've had a set on my boat trailer for the last few years and I've hardly noticed any wear. These are are 15" tire...
I have this brand in a 14" tire. I went from a 13" to a 14" and the ride is fantastic!

Dodger.