Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Default Question: Hiking it up to Bearspaw Reservoir

If you look on google maps, locate the Shriners land on the south side of the CP rails, just west of the Stoney Trail Overpass. Although we are not allowed to park on the Shriners land, there is a dirt road that travels about 1.4 kms west along the railway and ends at about the CP gated area. Has anyone driven down this access road and parked to access Bearspaw Reservoir? Some of this land is public land, however, some of the road access is close to the tracks which I would assume is CP land.

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM

I usually park as far out of the way as I can by the locked gate on the north side of the road. Although I usually do it on weekends or evenings. The sides of the gate are the best way over the fence. They're like a set of stairs. Then just follow the road. Nice easy walking. Usually see a red fox on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg redd-foxx-571265.jpeg (52.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 04-24-2014, 03:35 PM

I live up the hill from there and I've been going down there for 20 years, fishin, walking the dog and such...if the gate is locked I don't go through if it's open I drive down the gravel road too the end! Last September I went down there and parked at the end, walked up to the dam came back 90 mins later to find a CP cop parked beside my truck...I didn't even know these guys existed!! He fed me the riot act told me I was lucky that he wasn't going to finger print me downtown and slapped me with a $290.00 ticket for trespassing. Dec 28th I missed my flight to Hawaii cuz the US customs wouldn't let me on the plane because I now have a trespassing charge on my file...they had a good laugh when I told them all about it!! They, CP, Trans Alta or whomever is pulling the strings just locked that whole area down, it's a shame and a frickin joke! On a positive side note it is incredible the wildlife that has come back down there...I too have seen that Fox on many occasions and just last year saw a pair of Otters in the back Res beside the railway tracks, pretty cool!
Old 04-24-2014, 03:58 PM

with any luck this proposed park or it's twin could help get access to the water, sometime in the next decade or so

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Parks/Pag...velopment.aspx
Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 PM

Moefoe, that CP cop also likes to give speeding tickets on that road as well. I am quite surprised that someone has not just run that fence over with a beater truck. They used to have a nice parking lot there where people could walk there dogs and go fishing. What really gets my goat is that the city help pay for that stupid fence.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:33 PM

is there any chance a bike path or recently extended bike paths even come close to the lake?
Old 04-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Used to see alot of folks on the walk in. Never saw too many people around me when I was fishing though. Was good for all before.. "THE GATE"....cue evil music.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:36 PM

the theme when darth vater comes in? lol
Old 04-25-2014, 07:53 AM

Default This is serious

Was the gate open? Was there a no trespassing sign. Did the "ticket" give you the option of a court date and a not guilty plea?

How can CP get a "conviction" on your record that the US customs can use to keep you out of the US.

Is there a way to put a stop to this?

Is the land in Calgary or Rocky View? Is it a road allowance or a private road?
Old 04-25-2014, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
Was the gate open? Was there a no trespassing sign. Did the "ticket" give you the option of a court date and a not guilty plea?

How can CP get a "conviction" on your record that the US customs can use to keep you out of the US.

Also, they can pull you over for speeding???????
Old 04-25-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post

The gate was open! There is a no trespassing sign on the gate which has been removed or spray painted so many times I can't count! No idea about a court date, I just paid it the following week! US customs pulled me in at the airport, sat for 15mins then told me to get my affairs in order because I wouldn't be making that flight...3 hours later and after having a laugh about my story they told me they were in contact with both the Canadian customs and the RCMP and gave me the Ok to grab another flight the following day! Like I said I've been going down there for more than 20 years going 40 times per year...fishing, walking the dog or taking a stroll with a girlfriend, it was a part of my life! The thing that still ****es me off to this day is that guy treating me like a douche bag and not once answering any of my questions..." where does the money go?" was one of them...the whole situation was a little ridiculous and I feel would have been handled differently by either city police or the RC's!!
Old 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM

Default You should have called the RCMP.

The CPR has done enough damage to the west as it is. Any lawyers know of a way to stop this?

Getting the US government involved in a petty trespass is way out of line and I think a judge would call it an abuse of process.

This is outrageous. NEVER plead guilty to something like that, I don't care what the guy says.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 PM

On the bright side....

The ice has finally melted all the way to the dam as of yesterday. The only remaining ice is along the overflow spillway which should be gone by tomorrow.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw
Old 04-26-2014, 02:47 PM

last year i think not sure but i hear something about a bike path that will stretch from the bowness area up towards cochrane. if this is true it would be nice to see it pass by and also get connected to bears paw res.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
last year i think not sure but i hear something about a bike path that will stretch from the bowness area up towards cochrane. if this is true it would be nice to see it pass by and also get connected to bears paw res.

Dream on...

Maybe if that train didn't roll by every hour the residents wouldn't be so crabby and just leave us fishermen alone.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Deal View Post

Dream on...

Maybe if that train didn't roll by every hour the residents wouldn't be so crabby and just leave us fishermen alone.
there is actually a plan in the works for a park from Calgary along the river from Bearspaw to Cochrane, or there was.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-27-2014, 05:09 PM

From Cochrane, eastward, most of the path is in.

http://youtu.be/ZLDzPH-cBhw