Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Default Gull and Pigeon Reports

Made it out to Gull on the 26th. Got there early but it sure got busy in short order. Managed to land about 5-6 perch. Kept the 3 biggest - they are my supper tonight. Landed about 4 pike - nothing huge. Had a large white attack my jig and minnow but missed on the hook set. Had 1 huge burb up to the top before it snapped me off and away it went. Packed up by 2 p.m.

Went to Pigeon today. Got there before 8 a.m. and got holes pre-drilled and ready for the onslaught. What an onslaught it was!! Missed on a white early but got a nice sized walleye up. Later on landed a nice white. Moved around a bit and found a great spot that turned out to be the one. Had 2 more whites up. One really gave me a fight. It was huge white but it was also being chased around by a really big pike. I'd guess the pike was in the 12-14 lb range. It would move and the white would take off...again...and again. After what seemed like an eternity I landed the white and the pike hovered below. The white was huge! Almost managed to hook up with the pike. As soon as it left though a walleye slammed the hook and I landed another nice one. Missed on a few more whites but managed to tie into and land a 4th one. Packed up at 11 a.m. very content with a great morning of fishing and perfect weather.

Pics:

I great mornings catch

My new personal best for a white - 23 inches and spot on 5 lbs

The other 3 were all in the 3.5-3.7 lb range.

Finished off the afternoon with a bit of skidooing and a beer or two in the hot tub. Love XMas vacation. Hope you are all having a great break too!

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:52 PM

Nice fish and sounds like you had a great couple days!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Made it out to Gull on the 26th. Got there early but it sure got busy in short order. Managed to land about 5-6 perch. Kept the 3 biggest - they are my supper tonight. Landed about 4 pike - nothing huge. Had a large white attack my jig and minnow but missed on the hook set. Had 1 huge burb up to the top before it snapped me off and away it went. Packed up by 2 p.m.

Went to Pigeon today. Got there before 8 a.m. and got holes pre-drilled and ready for the onslaught. What an onslaught it was!! Missed on a white early but got a nice sized walleye up. Later on landed a nice white. Moved around a bit and found a great spot that turned out to be the one. Had 2 more whites up. One really gave me a fight. It was huge white but it was also being chased around by a really big pike. I'd guess the pike was in the 12-14 lb range. It would move and the white would take off...again...and again. After what seemed like an eternity I landed the white and the pike hovered below. The white was huge! Almost managed to hook up with the pike. As soon as it left though a walleye slammed the hook and I landed another nice one. Missed on a few more whites but managed to tie into and land a 4th one. Packed up at 11 a.m. very content with a great morning of fishing and perfect weather.

Pics:

I great mornings catch

My new personal best for a white - 23 inches and spot on 5 lbs

The other 3 were all in the 3.5-3.7 lb range.

Finished off the afternoon with a bit of skidooing and a beer or two in the hot tub. Love XMas vacation. Hope you are all having a great break too!

Cheers!
Nice catch Snap !!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Banned

Nice catch
Old 12-27-2010, 06:46 PM

Your dialed in Snap. Nice fish !!!! I think I would need dynamite to catch those !!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 PM

where abouts in pigeon or gull is a good spot for whites? is the provincial park ok for whites?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:27 PM

Default freshie

How thick was the ice? Are people driving on the ice? thanks
Old 12-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nod_abuan View Post
where abouts in pigeon or gull is a good spot for whites? is the provincial park ok for whites?
Yep. Provincial Park is great for them. I drill about 4-6 holes from 6 - 9/10 FOW. I keep hole hoping until one of the them picks up. I move onto to another area if none of them show any fish.

Gull, I see them at Brownlows but I hear the North side is good. Try Wilsons which is North Eastish or try the North West side. I really don't target them at Gull. I usually go for the other species.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshie View Post
How thick was the ice? Are people driving on the ice? thanks
It was about 14-15 inches and I drove out. Ice was very quiet and solid. Lots of other people driving out. Still, I would caution driving around the lake. I stuck close to shore and parked where I know it was only 2-3 FOW and then walked out.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:04 AM

Beauties! Nice work buddy.