Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
I like that white one. Nice job!!
Yeah he did a nice job on them coyotes.

Almost makes a guy think they're alive....nooooooooope, Chuck Testa!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:58 PM

Default end of the season for me

did my last hunt this morning, came up empty but heard them howling all morning, tried my best to howl back, but they werent having any of it.

so i finished with 6 coyotes, but with my buddies we got 11 this year. got 3 mangy ones, buddy kept 2 for himself, so that leaves us with the 6 in the picture, hopefully the fur buyer i found gives a good price. this was my 1st year preping fur, seemed easy enough but deffinately gonna make more stretchers in the summer, i only had 2 this season.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Default Yote #11

Went out yesterday and had no luck with calling but ran across this male at a 100 yards. Looks like he was starting to get mange so we saved him from agony.

Last edited by KegRiver; 04-07-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Default Finally on the board

Hit one location hard Saturday and yesterday, and was finally successful. All the dogs were hanging up around 800 yds, until I started yelps. She came into about 150 yds. 223 Axis got its first kill. Been seeing quite a few dogs lately and most are paired up.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:10 PM

Default Coyote's

I Finally Got some coyotes today with my 240 wby Euromark.I'm shooting a 55 grain nosler B\T at 4070' a second at the muzzle.I shot the coyote in the top picture free hand at about 30 yards,and the coyote in the second picture was some where between 350-400 yards.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:16 PM

Great job whitetail, looks like a winning combo.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 PM

#10 for me this Season. Wouldn't come into the call so decided to circle around the bush and the closest i could get was 325 yards. Tikka 223 with 45 grain HJps.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosejerky View Post
hey bud, i know your pretty green but i'd make sure you don't have your rifler pointed at your head next time your posing for a photo.
Well it may appear that way, Iv actually been waitin for someone to say something, It was not pointed AT me. If it were to have gone off I woulda got smacked with the concussion and that is all
Old 02-08-2012, 02:59 AM

great pictures
Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Went out today and did some calling.
Pretty slow up until noon and when the wind died down. Had one come in and it decided to skirt around me at about 700 yards. No shot.

Called this first one just after lunch. Tried Rabbit distress, pup distress, then howls and nothing. At the 15 min mark I tried my new secret weapon, Velociraptor in Distress (Screamn' Grey fox) I think it sounds like the raptors on jurrasic park lol. Hit it and there was one ripping over the hill. Comes in to 100 yards and I bark at it to stop it. DRT. Nice Blonde/Red Male.

Next Stand I play pup distress right off the hop and have this female come loping in at about 1:30 in. Stopped on hill across from me and sat down and tried to see what was making all the noise. He looked back behind him for a second and I got my gun around. 250 hard shot and he was down without a twitch. Nice silver colored female.

Got a 3 day trip to some virgin yote calling land planned here in 2 weeks. Should be some good numbers getting posted then!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:38 PM

Cool 2 More entries :)

Well I coulda had a double, but unfortunatly I had forgotten to put my 22-250 to fire. The first setup was a dud but a couple km I set up again and had two coming at me, one to the left and one to the right. The one on the left was coming in a little faster so I figured Ill focus on him. He was going to be my first sks kill. He held up at 100yrds and was trying to get my wind, gave a few coaxer calls and he came in a lil further, At this time I looked at the other one and realized I can get my first double. At 50yrds the one to the left stopped took a few steps to the further left to get my wind, I could tell he got a whiff but I used my camo to ice fish recently and wreaked like smelts so it gave me a couple seconds longer to line up my iron sights, CRACK down he goes, I set the sks down and grab the 22-250 swing to the right the yote is full tilt, I lined up he was running straight away from me, squeezed the trigger "S%!T the safety is on" I got lined up just in time to see the yote disappear into the reeds. I waited 10 min and started another call series, This time the one that got away showed itself in a clearing on the creek about 350yrds away CRACK, down he went Both of the yotes were able to keep there limbs this time lol, Small hole entry and exit from the 123gr. 7.62X39mm and the 55gr ballistic silver tips In the 22-250 did a suberb job, small entry hole and a small hole from a fragment on exit.http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...sdlfasd037.jpghttp://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...sdlfasd038.jpg
Old 02-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Default Yotes 1 to 4

Spot and stalked these four dogs with Dogfish over the last month. Took them all with my Remington VSSF in a 22-250 I bought this summer thanks to the help of Leo. The last pic was a yote I shot and he never even had a chance to let go of the bait.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:41 PM

Default Yote#5

Another coyote that I harvested this winter with my VSSF in 22.250

Old 02-13-2012, 03:24 PM

Called out this little guy yesterday. Good to be back at it after a 3 week "rest" due to work commitments.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:54 PM

Not sure why I didn't get posting pics. sooner. Anyways I have some copying and pasting to do. This was the start of my season (October 22-2011) I pick my son up this morning and we head to a feed lot to try or luck. The plan was that he would follow a long row of bales and sneak in close with the shotgun to a spot where the coyotes hang out. Ryan has me set up so any coyotes that got into the clear would be roughly 275 yards out when they come out of the tall grass and into the field.
I have a few minutes before he is in position so I glass the field, I spot movement and sure enough it’s a group of 4 but they are way out there. The coyotes are on the other side of a slough and I range the slough at just over 600 yards. Then to the north of the 4, I spot 3 more that are further out in the field. I lower the binoculars and spot a couple magpies flying by a certain spot in the tall grass across from me. I glass the area and I see a pair of coyote ears, I range the spot and the coyote is 331 yards. I don’t have a clear shot so I wait to see what unfolds at the far end of the bales..
A couple minutes pass and I hear the 12 gauge go off, a yelp followed with another shot. I swing my attention to the open field but nothing appears, then back to the coyote across from me but all I see is the coyote lay down and out of sight. After waiting five minutes I pack up and head down to meet Ryan. I tell him about the coyote and we go back and as we come around the bales I spot another coyote cruising by within shotgun range and this one also gets dropped with buckshot. After a short conservation Ryan jumps up on the bales and glasses the area of the coyote that we were originally looking for. A couple minutes pass, then Ryan spots the coyote leaving the tall grass and it heads into the field. I can’t see it but I’m informed that it’s now turned and heading our way. These are obviously not some of the brighter coyotes I’ve hunted. When I do finally see it in a open spot, a 112 yard shot has coyote # 1 down for me.

After collecting the three coyotes we head north a couple miles and walk in to a spot overlooking a nice area of sloughs, pastures and trees. I start off with a hand call and its not long before we see a coyote staring our way at the edge of the trees but the coyote is reluctant to leave the safety of the trees. Ryan ranges it at 317 yards and I dial in on it, pull the trigger and Ryan who is watching with binoculars says it looked like the coyote dropped straight down. We call for a bit longer but nothing else shows. I head for the bush and my partner walks back to bring the truck. I get down to roughly where I thought the coyote should be but can’t find it in the tall grass. We both searched for 20 minutes but never did find it. Not sure if I just plain missed the shot or we missed finding it in the grass.
Although more calling spots had been planned, Ryan is not feeling well, so we call it a morning and I drop him off at his place and then head for home. I still have time and plan on calling one ravine close to home before lunch. After parking the truck at a lease near the ravine I work my way through a bush patch to the edge where I want to call from. No need to call as I see a single coyote in the canola stubble mousing, a quick check with the range finder to some nearby trees says the coyote is under 300 yards. Not sure why but for some reason the coyote turns and start trotting my way. I loose sight of it a couple times in draws but I see it's still heading my way and when it pops up in full view I lay it low. (152 yards).
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 PM

Default Oct.28 2011

Called in and shot this nice female coyote @ 158 yards on my first stand of the morning.
She blended into the grass so well that when she did stop, it took a couple seconds to pick her up in the scope.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:01 PM

Default Nov. 05 2011

I was limited to how much time I could be out this morning due to the wife and I are heading out for Mexico in a few hours and I hadn't even packed yet.
I head for a feedlot on the creek valley and as I walk in I kick out two coyotes from the bales. One stops @ 80 yards and a 35 gr. Berger drops it in its tracks.

I continue towards the valley and see one coyote standing at the edge of the creek so I use the hills to hide my approach. When I clear the last ridge I see the coyote has moved out further and also its mangy. I sit down, range it at 277 yards and send a 35 Berger on its way. A few spins and the coyote falls over. After the shot I see another coyote come out to the edge of a willow patch that is ranged at 256 yards. The 20 Tactical puts coyote number three down. When I got to the creek I found the creek flowing and not cross able, so decided to pass getting a picture of the mangy dog.
At least the third coyote was on my side of the creek.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Default Nov 27

After a nice trip to Mexico its back to some coyote hunting today but unfortunately the wind was howling. Warm and windy…. Not exactly coyote calling type weather, so I drove down to a hog farm in hopes of snipering one with the 6BR. Only seen one coyote and it was out of range.
From there I drove a couple miles and walked along a ravine in hopes of catching one mousing but seen nothing. As I started to walk back to the truck I did notice a couple of magpies land in the field to the south of me, I glassed the area and spotted what looked like the head of a coyote. Sure enough there was a coyote bedded down on a clump of straw. The best part was the coyote wasn’t looking my direction so all that was required was a short sneak which put me in position for a shot. The range finder said 228 yards and I zoomed up the scope and settled the cross hairs on fur.
The picture below is exactly how I found the coyote when I walked up… still curled up but in for a much longer nap than originally intended!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 PM

Default Dec. 03 2011

There was wind warnings again for our area today so I decided to check out the creek valley that runs along a feedlot. This area is sheltered and the coyotes seem to hang out in that area on windy days. The wind wasn't as severe as they fore-casted but it was still fair brisk and snowing. Spotted this coyote bedded down at the base of a hill and the range finder showed 213 yards. I shot the coyote were it lay and at the report of the rifle spooked another coyote that was close by. Never had time for a shot at the second coyote though.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:21 PM

Default Dec. 04 2011

First stand of the morning has Ryan and I set up in a pasture with a large bush patch that we hoped to pull a coyote or two out of. I start off with a couple howls and its not long before coyotes were challenge howling from the bush. I switched over to a distress call but that didn’t work so grabbed the howler again and gave some yelps which brought a big male on the run. A 125 yard shot from the 22-250 has coyote number 1 down, gave some more yelps but couldn’t pull any of the other coyotes out of the bush.

We then drove a couple miles to the river valley and set up with Ryan watching a ravine and myself watching the field.. Shortly after calling the breeze switched on us which screwed up any chance of bringing anything in so we packed up and drove down to the creek valley.
After parking the truck and walking almost a half mile, a coyote is spotted on the other side of the creek. With the help of binoculars we glass the coyote and when it drops into the creek channel we cover some ground so we can get set up on opposite ends of a knoll. Ryan starts off with distress cries and after a bit switches over to his howler. I hear a coyote return with challenge howls and with a bit of scanning I pick it up in the binoculars. The coyote is a long ways off but running straight towards us, only stopping to howl then back on the run. When it drops into the creek channel I lose sight of it and I’m anticipating where it might pop out at when I catch movement to my left. A different coyote is coming in but on our down wind side, it stops, then jumps up a couple times and I think it may have spotted me. I level the cross hairs on its chest and squeeze the trigger. The recoil jumps the scope off the coyote and I’m not sure if I got it or not but I don’t see it or any other coyotes on the move.
After a bit Ryan walks over and says even though he could not see the coyote, the shot sounded like a hit. A 237 yard walk confirms coyote number 2 was down.
We tried one more spot by a poultry farm but had no takers.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM

Default Dec. 10

Snipered this guy this morning at 257 yards.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:25 PM

Default Dec 10

This evening I grab the Foxpro and the .204 and head 5 miles from where I was this morning. First thing I noticed was the difference in the snow cover between the river hills and the area I was now at. I set up on the downwind side of a large bush patch and start off with pup yelps. Its not long and I have a coyote at the edge of the bush but a fair distance away. The coyote disappears back into the bush and after 5 minutes I switch over to Vole squeaks, which obviously got the coyotes attention as it brings this big male trotting into the field. A bark and a 125 shot has him down.
Back to the river hills tomorrow morning as there is a dead cow that the coyotes have been feeding on.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM

Default Dec 11

First checked the cow carcass and sniper one of the four that were there. (205 yards)

Second spot I call in a coyote only to miss it, the coyote runs a few feet and stops, I go to chamber another round only to fumble and drop it ( I dislike single shots at times ). When I finally get the shell loaded the coyote is gone
Next set I have the Foxpro playing Lightning Jack which brings this big male in. I think the coyote was more curious than hungry!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:32 PM

Default Dec. 17

First checked the cow carcasses and found one coyote there. A 254 yard shot has it down.... as an added bonus this coyote had also recently been sprayed by a skunk!
Called one spot but with the warm weather and lack of snow I wasn't surprised to not get any response.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:35 PM

Default Dec 19

Called this coyote out of a treed ravine with the help of some Jackrabbit distress and Vole Squeaks. The coyote was focused on the caller, which was 60 yards to my left and never noticed me swing over for the shot.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:38 PM

Default Dec 19

Squeaked the first coyote in from a bush patch (300 yards away) to within 80 yards. At the report of the rifle the coyote drops and the Foxbang kicks in with pup screams which brings another coyote on its way. Mute the call and I see a third coyote coming from a slough bottom 500 yards away. When the second coyote hits that 125 yard mark I drop it, unmute the caller but the third coyote is trotting back the way it came only to meet up with a forth. I tried a few other calls but they just hung back not willing to come any closer.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:40 PM

Default Dec 22

Had an hour and half before the wife and I were to head into the city, which was enough time to check a local feedlot. Worked my way slowly around a few rows of bales and seen 5 coyotes, shot the one at 70 yards.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Dec.23

First spot I check out is a feed lot where I see two coyotes but they are already leaving, the direction they left never presented me a safe shot so I walked back to the truck and drove down to the creek valley. I walked in a quarter mile where I plan to set up when I see a coyote on its way back to the bush. I squat down and the coyote stops, looks my way, then decides I was no threat and started on its way again. I had the sun at my back and although the coyote heard me, it could not see me. One shot from the 20 Tactical and a 35 gr. Berger has it down. I like the spot and decide to call it after a ten minute wait. I start off with some Jackrabbit distress, then switched to Vole squeaks. A few minutes pass before I catch movement in the bush on the opposite side of the clearing. A coyote is working its way through the trees and I expect for it to appear soon. I glance to my right and see another coyote sniffing the coyote I shot. I slowly swing the rifle over to the last coyote but its now on a fast trot towards the caller, I barked a couple times to get the coyote to stop but he just kept coming. I knew I had to shoot soon or I would have some buck brush that would hide the coyote….. Long story short,, rushed the shot and missed what should have been an easy coyote. Called for bit longer but nothing else showed…. I was ticked at myself and packed up and got out of the area.

Next spot was overlooking the lake and I start off the caller with pup yelps. After a couple minutes I mute the call for a bit and then went back to yelps. The caller has played for no more than a half minute when I notice a coyote on its way across the ice. I am letting it close the distance and then see a coyote pop out the willows on my side. This coyote is trotting straight towards the one in the middle and I bark to stop it. The coyote stops and another 35 gr Berger finds its mark. The other coyote spins around and heads back to the safety of the other shore.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:44 PM

Default Dec 26

After parking the truck, I walked in a half mile and set on a fence line that would give me a view of two coyote trails. The first coyote came along the trail to my right and within 3 minutes the second coyote came on the trail to my left. Having two coyotes down and expecting more to follow I was hopeful....but that was all that showed.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:53 PM

Default Jan. 07 2012

Coyotes's # 23,24,& 25 One of the girls at the office was saying she kept hearing a bunch of coyotes howling at night in two different bushes close to their house. Well I best check that out and this morning I park amongst their bales and walk a quarter mile to where I set up. I start the caller off with Jackrabbit distress and its not long before I have one come in from behind me. I swing around and see the mangy coyote is sitting down and just watching. I put the cross hairs on its chest and drop coyote #1 @ 205 yards.
After a bit I see another mangy dog working its way across the field to the bush I'm watching. This coyote has no hair on its tail and looks a mess, start the caller up again with Jackrabbit distress which turn the coyote my direction. It disappears in a draw and switch the caller over to Vole squeaks. I was a little surprised how quick the coyote showed up but turns out to be a different coyote which I let come to within 60 yards before dropping it. The Foxbang kicks in but never did see the rat tail coyote again. With two mangy dogs down I figured to leave the area and walk to the other bush and try my luck.
Set up in the shade of a round bale and start the caller, not long before a nice coyote pops out of the ravine but does not want to come across the field. I settle the cross hairs on its chest and a 259 yard shot has the third coyote down. The Foxbang starts (pup screams) and I let it play for half a minute before switching back to Vole squeaks... Another nice looking coyote pops out of the ravine (much closer than the first) and I settle the cross hairs on its chest and proceed to shoot and miss clean. Didn't take enough time I guess.