Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finner-duramax View Post
they should have it set so it sends out the draw results automatically at mid night., thats B.S if you ask me.
that would have worked if the system did not go off line before 12am
Old 07-12-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
Thanks!!! Have this running now and am axiously awaiting for a ping return....

Now of course the IT department might get a little ****y when I'm constantly pinging, but oh well....

J.
Cheers mate! Be sure to let us know too!!
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM

I wonder if I should spill the beans on when the expected ETA is for Shaw turning back on the power or keep it to myself so I can check draws first haha... but it doesnt mean that everything will be back up and running.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
I wonder if I should spill the beans on when the expected ETA is for Shaw turning back on the power or keep it to myself so I can check draws first haha... but it doesnt mean that everything will be back up and running.
spill spill!! I wanna know when i should book my last week of holidays. But i need to know what im hunting first lol

Old 07-12-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
Come on the suspense is killing me. It's like matching all the numbers on lotto max and waiting for the last number to be called
Old 07-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default More Information:

More information:

Shaw Court fire has ongoing impacts on services to Albertans
Province implements disaster recovery plan for data applications
Calgary... Yesterday’s incident at the Shaw Court Centre in Calgary has impacted the availability of some provincial services ranging from registries to requests for high school transcripts.

“We’ve been working through the evening and early morning to evaluate the impact on the data centre to try and minimize the impact on services to citizens” said Manmeet Bhullar, Minister of Service Alberta. “With the necessary precautions being taken by the City of Calgary Fire Marshall and his team and the time that it will take to restore power and services in Shaw Court, we have made the decision to move to our back up site as it will be the quickest way to restore electronic services. I thank Albertans for their patience as we work through this situation.”

Testing on data has begun and individual services will be made available once the integrity of the data and system is verified.

When the computer systems went down yesterday afternoon due to the explosion and fire the government invoked its data emergency response plan preparing and sending back-up data to an alternative site. Information technology teams from across the government worked with IBM through the night on the best approach to restore impacted government systems.

Current services being impacted include:
  • A number of government websites as well as some systems that process grants and payments to contracted agencies.
  • There is no online access to Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan registration services for health professionals or the public. People can register or update information at a registry office, by mail or fax.
  • Registry services including: operator licensing, vehicle registration, and fines collections, registration for land titles, registration for survey plans, land title searches, searches on survey plans, survey control marker data and other land related information are unavailable.
  • Student high school transcripts cannot be processed.
  • The Alberta Works program (Income Support, Health Benefits) has been impacted, however anyone with an emergency need can come into an Alberta Works Centre for assistance.
  • Emergency or medical benefit coverage for AISH clients can be processed through their worker.
  • Hunting and fishing license sales and services are unavailable online and at outlets across the province.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miskosky View Post
More information:

Shaw Court fire has ongoing impacts on services to Albertans
Province implements disaster recovery plan for data applications
Calgary... Yesterday’s incident at the Shaw Court Centre in Calgary has impacted the availability of some provincial services ranging from registries to requests for high school transcripts.

“We’ve been working through the evening and early morning to evaluate the impact on the data centre to try and minimize the impact on services to citizens” said Manmeet Bhullar, Minister of Service Alberta. “With the necessary precautions being taken by the City of Calgary Fire Marshall and his team and the time that it will take to restore power and services in Shaw Court, we have made the decision to move to our back up site as it will be the quickest way to restore electronic services. I thank Albertans for their patience as we work through this situation.”

Testing on data has begun and individual services will be made available once the integrity of the data and system is verified.

When the computer systems went down yesterday afternoon due to the explosion and fire the government invoked its data emergency response plan preparing and sending back-up data to an alternative site. Information technology teams from across the government worked with IBM through the night on the best approach to restore impacted government systems.

Current services being impacted include:
  • A number of government websites as well as some systems that process grants and payments to contracted agencies.
  • There is no online access to Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan registration services for health professionals or the public. People can register or update information at a registry office, by mail or fax.
  • Registry services including: operator licensing, vehicle registration, and fines collections, registration for land titles, registration for survey plans, land title searches, searches on survey plans, survey control marker data and other land related information are unavailable.
  • Student high school transcripts cannot be processed.
  • The Alberta Works program (Income Support, Health Benefits) has been impacted, however anyone with an emergency need can come into an Alberta Works Centre for assistance.
  • Emergency or medical benefit coverage for AISH clients can be processed through their worker.
  • Hunting and fishing license sales and services are unavailable online and at outlets across the province.
Most of these systems are online now, they're just not accessable by the public. The fiber mesh was restored at 12:33 in the morning.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 PM
Banned

Nothing yet.

Patience..........
Old 07-12-2012, 12:45 PM

the part of the news story that I liked was when it said, "no one was hurt".

Wow, I think I can wait for my draw results, especially since no one got hurt and i suspect some nice IT guys are working double to triple shifts to try and get this going.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:48 PM

If they would be up and running on " backup site" by tommorow. All data integrity are intact then, i think they deserve a pat on the back , for a job well done.

Many company were not able to recover after 911 because of no back up plan.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Yes everyone I am sure is working hard to fix. However I wouldn't be surprised everyones shaw bills got raised.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Default draws

does this mean we can hunt what ever we want this year ?? lol
Old 07-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Maybe this was F&W's way of dealing with the priority caps. Okay, we lost all the data....everyone back to zero.....lol
I was thinking the same damn thing.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
That would be sweet. Just think of the possibilities
Old 07-12-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggy View Post
You can only if you get those blank tags in the mail.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:07 PM

You would think with computter now,that u could use any of them anywhere for the draws,i am sure they could login in to a diferent computer for that
Old 07-12-2012, 01:22 PM

So the Goevernment of Alberta doesn't have any servers?????? They rent space from Shaw for all their highly confidential data... do I have that right? I'm not an IT guy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Just doesn't seem right.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
So the Goevernment of Alberta doesn't have any servers?????? They rent space from Shaw for all their highly confidential data... do I have that right? I'm not an IT guy so I'm sure I'm missing something. Just doesn't seem right.
IBM has the contract to provide licensing services to the hunters and anglers of the province. As a result, it is their responsibility to ensure the security and safety of the data.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Yea i think this is a bunch of u know what,its like some say,its all computer now,why cant they have it done the day after the application is done, press 1 button on the computter and it should be all done
Old 07-12-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreme hunter10 View Post
spill spill!! I wanna know when i should book my last week of holidays. But i need to know what im hunting first lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck Renagade View Post
Come on the suspense is killing me. It's like matching all the numbers on lotto max and waiting for the last number to be called
Well aparently power has been restored but not all services have been restored. More to come shortly, stay tuned.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Same here not an IT but seriously maybe most of it stored on somebodies basement. Would not be surprise if the SISA's records are stored there. Management call it cost cutting and an assurance that they signed that they wont divulge your info

Wonder where wikileaks mined their info
Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 PM

Default missing something

Shaw's servers would have a significantly higher security protocol than would anything the Gov't could come up with. Especially since Shaw hosts canadian medical records.

Quote:
Old 07-12-2012, 02:02 PM

I like this:

Quote:

Registry services including: operator licensing, vehicle registration, and fines collections.

No more tickets, and clean abstract for everyone... merry christmas!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
IBM has the contract to provide licensing services to the hunters and anglers of the province. As a result, it is their responsibility to ensure the security and safety of the data.
Yes, but it's well beyond just IBM and RELM. Look at the government communication you posted earlier. This affects Alberta health Services, registries, alberta works, high school transcripts, fine payments. I'm sure there are many others not listed. Well, I hope some lessons get learned from this. I can wait for draw results. I'm sure there are a few more critical systems that were lost.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Shaw's servers would have a significantly higher security protocol than would anything the Gov't could come up with. Especially since Shaw hosts canadian medical records.
I think IBM data center is where every thinng is they just happen to rent space at the shaw building dont think Shaw host them files
Old 07-12-2012, 02:09 PM

Still nothin? What the hell happened? Its been 24hrs!
Old 07-12-2012, 02:10 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
Still nothin? What the hell happened? Its been 24hrs!
An explosion and a fire.....lol

I'm guessing getting essential services up like 911 are taking precident. Considering what happened, they are getting things back on line pretty quickly.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
An explosion and a fire.....lol

I'm guessing getting essential services up like 911 are taking precident. Considering what happened, they are getting things back on line pretty quickly.
To hell with the choking baby, I need to know if Im gonna get my mulie draw......!!!!!!!

Quote:
I'm guessing getting essential services up like 911 are taking precident. .
See, that's the problem. The government has it's priorities totally screwed up. Three more hour's delay of the draw results and I'll be calling for the "Red Queen's" head.

Quote:
Yes, but it's well beyond just IBM and RELM. Look at the government communication you posted earlier. This affects Alberta health Services, registries, alberta works, high school transcripts, fine payments. I'm sure there are many others not listed. Well, I hope some lessons get learned from this. I can wait for draw results. I'm sure there are a few more critical systems that were lost.
Not uncommon for lots of govt's and business to outsource their data/systems.

All the lottery systems in the states are run/hosted by a third party, guessing the same here.

With all the big pushes for "Cloud" thats no different.
Closed Thread