Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-01-2017, 10:21 AM

Question Wabamun, Pigeon or Buck Lake??

Taking our boat out for the very first time May long Weekend. We are debating between Wabamun, Pigeon or Buck lake for our first fishing trip of the year. This is our very first boat as well, so just looking for recommendations from you guys on the best place for both fishing and a newbie boat operator.
Old 05-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Wabamun if you want high numbers of little walleye and skinny jack.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutBaus View Post
Wabamun if you want high numbers of little walleye and skinny jack.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I'm in the same boat.

I'm making my maiden voyage at Pigeon.

Although it won't be on the first long weekend of the summer, but on a day in the middle of the week where hopefully I wouldn't be holding up those who are impatiently waiting for me to figure out what I'm doing.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
I'm in the same boat.

I'm making my maiden voyage at Pigeon.

Although it won't be on the first long weekend of the summer, but on a day in the middle of the week where hopefully I wouldn't be holding up those who are impatiently waiting for me to figure out what I'm doing.
Don't let it overwhelm you. Take your time. Get everything ready in the parking lot before moving to the launch area. Maybe have a checklist of things you want to do. Ie. put the plug in. The more familiar you are with the operations of your boat, the rest will come in time.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon71 View Post
Don't let it overwhelm you. Take your time. Get everything ready in the parking lot before moving to the launch area. Maybe have a checklist of things you want to do. Ie. put the plug in. The more familiar you are with the operations of your boat, the rest will come in time.
I told my wife I want to be real early. Hopefully the launch won't be too busyfirst thing in the morning. I think I'm more worried about loading up at the end of the day. I watched a guy last year take almost 1/2 hr to get it on the trailer.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:36 PM

Fished all 3 lakes may long weekend.
Always thought i had to get there early to beat the crowds.
Never had anyone else at the boat launch.
Always got rain or snowed on and had Big waves.
Staying home this may long .
Old 05-02-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishingEDM View Post
Taking our boat out for the very first time May long Weekend. We are debating between Wabamun, Pigeon or Buck lake for our first fishing trip of the year. This is our very first boat as well, so just looking for recommendations from you guys on the best place for both fishing and a newbie boat operator.
Just my two cents...
I'd maybe stay away from Pigeon and consider the smaller lakes. Pigeon is a big lake if you were to have problems or a big wind came up first time out. Nearby Battle lake is smaller with good fishing.

If you plan to fish until dark the shoreline can look a lot different coming in when it gets dark. When you are boating away from the dock look back and take a moment to take note of some landmarks near the launch. At Buck lake I fished well into the dark one night and it got really dark. The shoreline was black with trees. Try finding a dock then. I now hang a solar powered light at the launch/dock if I am staying out after dark.

No matter where you go the water is going to still be really cold too. Always wear your PFD.

Good luck with the fishing.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 05-04-2017, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Just my two cents...
I'd maybe stay away from Pigeon and consider the smaller lakes. Pigeon is a big lake if you were to have problems or a big wind came up first time out. Nearby Battle lake is smaller with good fishing.

If you plan to fish until dark the shoreline can look a lot different coming in when it gets dark. When you are boating away from the dock look back and take a moment to take note of some landmarks near the launch. At Buck lake I fished well into the dark one night and it got really dark. The shoreline was black with trees. Try finding a dock then. I now hang a solar powered light at the launch/dock if I am staying out after dark.

No matter where you go the water is going to still be really cold too. Always wear your PFD.

Good luck with the fishing.
Thanks for the advice. I never even thought about the bigger lake being more prone to rough water.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 AM

So brought our new to us boat home on Friday. Looks like Wabamun is going to be our initiation to boating this Sat. Looking forward to this, a bit nervous as I've never driven a boat before.

We usually fish off the canal at Wabamun from shore. Any suggestions where to fish with a boat, or any areas I should avoid?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
So brought our new to us boat home on Friday. Looks like Wabamun is going to be our initiation to boating this Sat. Looking forward to this, a bit nervous as I've never driven a boat before.

We usually fish off the canal at Wabamun from shore. Any suggestions where to fish with a boat, or any areas I should avoid?
Be prepared .... Wabamun will be an absolute zoo on May Long ...... a few opening weekends there have been massive line ups with launch waits of well over an hour.

The best piece of advice I can give you, have the cooler, rods, etc... in the boat long before you approach the launch and the plug in, and straps off.

At that point, take your time and you will be just fine, and if it takes a time or two down the launch to line up most people are pretty good about it.

On the other hand ....

There is nothing worse than watching someone back up the boat launch, after having spent over an hour waiting in line sitting in the truck smoking cigarettes, getting the boat and gear ready at the ramp while others wait - remove cover, insert plug, unstrap, load up gear, walking back and forth each time etc.. etc...then, to add insult to injury, sending the wife and kids to the rest room, and herding up the wild children running around ducking in between and in and out of people backing in or dodging the adjacent launch pad before they shove off and others just blink in utter disbelief.

I have never before more temped to publicly spank and adult as I was on that day.

lol.

Last edited by EZM; 05-15-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Be prepared .... Wabamun will be an absolute zoo on May Long ...... a few opening weekends there have been massive line ups with launch waits of well over an hour.

The best piece of advice I can give you, have the cooler, rods, etc... in the boat long before you approach the launch and the plug in, and straps off.

At that point, take your time and you will be just fine, and if it takes a time or two down the launch to line up most people are pretty good about it.

On the other hand ....

There is nothing worse than watching someone back up the boat launch, after having spent over an hour waiting in line sitting in the truck smoking cigarettes, getting the boat and gear ready at the ramp while others wait - remove cover, insert plug, unstrap, load up gear, etc.. etc...then, to add insult to injury, sending the wife and kids to the rest room before they shove off and others just blink in utter disbelief.

lol.

Thanks for the advice.

I've got everything prepped and ready. so we can basically backup. unhook and my wife will take the truck and park it, then I'll pick her up. I've heard the launch from the park is suppose to be pretty good, and free. That's always a bonus.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:

On the other hand ....

There is nothing worse than watching someone back up the boat launch, after having spent over an hour waiting in line sitting in the truck smoking cigarettes, getting the boat and gear ready at the ramp while others wait - remove cover, insert plug, unstrap, load up gear, walking back and forth each time etc.. etc...then, to add insult to injury, sending the wife and kids to the rest room, and herding up the wild children running around ducking in between and in and out of people backing in or dodging the adjacent launch pad before they shove off and others just blink in utter disbelief.

I have never before more temped to publicly spank and adult as I was on that day.

lol.
Sage advice right there.

I will hit Wab on Friday, get my fishing fix in then and avoid the crowds.
Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:

On the other hand ....

lol.
Wisdom, solid wisdom.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:

On the other hand ....

lol.
People have had to walk the plank for less than that.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:09 PM

Wabamum could be very busy with skiers etc. But if you go there keep an eye out for my tigers eye ring I lost at the launch on our maiden voyage.
Good luck.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Never before? You'll be fine, there is nothing to it once you get the hang of it. I might suggest practicing backing up the trailer in your truck though and getting the boat in a straight line etc. Nothing worse than zig-zagging and restarting multiple times trying to get your boat in the water on a busy launch. Once you know how to back up that trailer and unload/load it back up in the water, the actual boating part is a piece of cake.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:46 AM

Quote:

We are in the same boat, pardon the pun. We picked ours up in February and were itching to hit the water. So we did last Tuesday out at Wizard and it was great to work out some kinks of launching ahead of the big crowds. But like everyone has said, and I am no expert, prep ahead of the launch and take your time. and most of all enjoy your time on the water!!

Why Do I Have to Work.......Need to be outside more!!
Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 AM

Thanks for all the advice guys. Looks like plans have changed. We are headed to Buck lake now. Fishing gear is already, life jackets stored, safety kit in the boat. Just have to load the cooler when we get there and launch. I can't wait!!!