Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-13-2017, 11:33 PM

Default Kids (5 and 3) Nailing the Rainbows - Beginners luck

House Reno Video and Fishing with the girls... they were nailing the rainbow trout. Amazing how a 5 and 3 year old can manage to catch and land these fat rainbows. You can let me know if this VLOG style with longer videos is ok, or no go. I seem to be making longer videos these days with more chatter. Hey thanks for watching guys. This is a pond that we are fortunate enough to live on in the lower mainland. Most lower mainland lakes the trout grow slow, but for some reason they grow fast in the back yard. Must be all the fertilizer. These fish being caught were stocked spring 2015.

https://youtu.be/k-IIDzoSb_8

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 05-14-2017, 08:38 AM

Kids having a blast. Nice job.
Old 05-14-2017, 09:20 AM
Banned

It's great to see your little ones arguing over who's turn it is to catch a fish. I will say that the rod your daughter was using was very long for a child, but she did handle it ok.
Look forward to a future video when your reno's are complete.
My vote is to keep the video's short and sweet.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:09 PM

Oh man, that was hilarious and so cute...Great vid as usual Brandon.

Gorgeous piece of property you have there, and fishing right out your back door. Good call on extending the garage. Hook up truck and trailer the night before and away you go! Will 12' be enough lol.

I don't mind the extended length video. Sure, there is a time and place for shorter ones but in this case there was always something going on that kept it interesting.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Oh man, that was hilarious and so cute...Great vid as usual Brandon.

Gorgeous piece of property you have there, and fishing right out your back door. Good call on extending the garage. Hook up truck and trailer the night before and away you go! Will 12' be enough lol.

I don't mind the extended length video. Sure, there is a time and place for shorter ones but in this case there was always something going on that kept it interesting.
Thanks... yeah probably won't fit a truck and trailer in the garage. Its more so we can put storage at the back of the garage and a work area since we don't have a basement, just a crawl space. Once I watched it again the second to last long clip with my daughter holding camera was supposed to be a take out, oh well... one minute longer than intended and most people don't make it that long anyways. Good for the memories though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
It's great to see your little ones arguing over who's turn it is to catch a fish. I will say that the rod your daughter was using was very long for a child, but she did handle it ok.
Look forward to a future video when your reno's are complete.
My vote is to keep the video's short and sweet.
Yeah the rod is a very light, ultralight rod 7'6" (micro lite ultra classic Bass Pro rod) Super cheap and gets the job done. Actually if you think about it, having a longer rod with a softer tip is much easier for kids. There is more leverage and the rod takes most of the pull from the fish in the bend and they have an easier time keeping the pressure on them because the rod does all the work. Shorter the rod actually the harder it is to bring in a fish.

Thanks for watching and comments!

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
Old 05-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Oh my. I would have guessed that was a 10' rod. They say things look bigger on TV. lol
Old 05-14-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
Oh my. I would have guessed that was a 10' rod. They say things look bigger on TV. lol
It's the fish eye lens on the GoPro that distorts how things appear. So things may appear larger or smaller than they really are.

Old 05-14-2017, 11:21 PM
Banned

That is called parenting done right, awesome video, your girls look like they had a really fun day.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
That is called parenting done right, awesome video, your girls look like they had a really fun day.
You're right, kids love to fish!

Old 05-16-2017, 08:02 AM

Great job yet again, Dad.
Super cool that they landed that first one all on their own. I remember taking my 2 yo out to Nordegg for his first fishing/camping trip. 6 years later the kid is a little fish slayer.
Keep it up!
Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM

I didn't catch what you're using for lures with the kids. I've been trying to find the right balance of weight etc with my 4 and 6 year olds when I take them out.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
I didn't catch what you're using for lures with the kids. I've been trying to find the right balance of weight etc with my 4 and 6 year olds when I take them out.
I cast the lure out since they're too little to be casting this set up still. Then I let them hold the rod and troll around the pond slowly. Or if they don't want to hold it I put my foot on it and pass it off to them when I get a bite.

The line is 4 pound test berkley vanish, and a Thomas Lures "Colorado" spoon in 1/6th oz. I like the gold and silver 50/50 spoon. If there are larger trout in the lake like 2lbs + the 1/4 oz is always a good size and easier to cast. I also like the Thomas cyclone 1/6th oz in red and gold, an absolute trout killer.

Tags
rainbow trout, spoon, trolling