Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Default Dog for an acreage.

Were building on our acreage this year and want to get a dog once were moved in. Wife says its an outside dog/garage dog.

I started looking at golden retrievers but heard about some common health issues.

We have 5 acres, and i fully plan on getting the buried wireless fence system.

We got a 2 year old and eventually have another so the breed needs to be good with kids.

What are some more breed options that would be a good fit?

I work in camp so i wont be home daily to play with it, but the wife would be.

Currently started looking into, labs, german sheppard, golden retriever.

I know i dont want Rottweiler, bulldog, great dane, blue healer, dobberman.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:29 PM

Perhaps consider a rescue dog?
Old 02-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Great Pyreneese if you want the ulitimate outdoor protector that wont ever be mistaken for a wolf...
Old 02-05-2018, 02:43 PM
AO Sponsor

If you want a big dog that is very durable, of amazing temperament for kids, does not require a crazy amount of exercise, and will still make people think twice abut coming on your property if you are not around simply because of their sheer size and deep bark, a Newfoundland dog is awesome! We rescued our when she was 2 years old and she is the most amazing, kind, gentle, easygoing 140lb big black dog you will ever meet!

They really don't eat a massive amount when full grown either compared to many large breeds. She will eat the same amount as a lab or retriever, and compared to most other large breeds, they live typically much longer. 10 too 12 years is pretty common.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 PM

Default Bouvier des Flandres

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouvier_des_Flandres

I have had two and I loved them; very loyal, easy to train and can withstand the cold with their double coat. Live a long time...

Come spring, shave them down like a sheep. Come fall time a full coat again.

Good luck,

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Great Pyreneese if you want the ulitimate outdoor protector that wont ever be mistaken for a wolf...
Our neighbours have one that will walk right up my own driveway and inspect me if I come home late, they seem like vigilant dogs
Old 02-05-2018, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertadiver View Post
Perhaps consider a rescue dog?
X2
Old 02-05-2018, 03:45 PM

Default nfld dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
If you want a big dog that is very durable, of amazing temperament for kids, does not require a crazy amount of exercise, and will still make people think twice abut coming on your property if you are not around simply because of their sheer size and deep bark, a Newfoundland dog is awesome! We rescued our when she was 2 years old and she is the most amazing, kind, gentle, easygoing 140lb big black dog you will ever meet!

They really don't eat a massive amount when full grown either compared to many large breeds. She will eat the same amount as a lab or retriever, and compared to most other large breeds, they live typically much longer. 10 too 12 years is pretty common.
Oh ya tough good guy---As a matter of interest in encyclopaedia Brittania They are mention for there life saveing,strong swimmers bring a smallrope to wrecked ships in rageing surf for a main line to get people ashore.a child goes off the wharf in they go,most likely for fun,in any case the drowning person can grab the thick fun hugh size and powerful swimmer to shore no problem.Used as sled dogs for pulling wood,game showing tremendous strength.never heard of one biteing anyone,The more the children mauls them the more they like it. Cheers.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:46 PM
Banned

Best dogs I've ever had were golden retrievers. I would stay away from Pyrenees if you want sleep and to keep neighborly with your neighbors. Golden retrievers can be protective as well. Did I say Pyrenees bark lots and many seem to roam.
Get a female golden retriever that is spayed and you'll be very happy with your choice if not I'll take it from you guarantee. Unless you're buying a $1000 dog.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:53 PM

Sorry Albertadiver and Hillbilly12, I disagree about rescue dogs unless the kids aren't little anymore.

I think the best bet would be to get 2 German shepherds as 6 or 8 week old pups. They'll grow up there, and that'll be their "entire universe" so to speak and they'll be extremely "territorial", and very protective of little kids (their 'siblings') and the entire property.

Train them to accept strangers that you welcome to the territory, and be 'intimidating' towards those you don't.

Of course have 'em 'fixed' at the right age.

If your kids are at least teenagers, the ignore what I said and get a couple of LARGE rescue dogs.

Worked for us in town anyway.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

Yes Stuck in is right. Get a pup and it'll grow with your little one and be his best friend. Don't want someone's bad habits in a dog. Don't buy into the purebred bs either. Lots of mutts are good dogs
Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
Sorry Albertadiver and Hillbilly12, I disagree about rescue dogs unless the kids aren't little anymore.

I think the best bet would be to get 2 German shepherds as 6 or 8 week old pups. They'll grow up there, and that'll be their "entire universe" so to speak and they'll be extremely "territorial", and very protective of little kids (their 'siblings') and the entire property.

Train them to accept strangers that you welcome to the territory, and be 'intimidating' towards those you don't.

Of course have 'em 'fixed' at the right age.

If your kids are at least teenagers, the ignore what I said and get a couple of LARGE rescue dogs.

Worked for us in town anyway.
You do know that you can get rescue dogs that are puppies right?

Misconceptions like this is why there are dogs put down in shelters everyday...
Old 02-05-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
You do know that you can get rescue dogs that are puppies right?
I'm glad to know THAT! which I didn't till just now.
I'm always sickened at the thought of unwanted pups being killed off before they even had a chance at life.

How long does the SPCA and AARCS etc, keep them?

Last edited by stuckincity; 02-05-2018 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011laramie View Post

There is nothing wrong with any of your choices. All good family dogs. There is a lot to be said about rescue dogs to. You have a better chance to see their disposition, size, health issues etc. Not all dogs in kennels are there because there was something wrong with them and they come in all age ranges from pups to full grown animals. Some of them will require a bit of specialized training but often are well worth it.

Play is one thing but the important thing is training. Cannot put enough emphasis on the training. Even police dogs are not aggressive. They are not junk yard dogs. A well trained dog knows his place in the pack and will defend it to the death if that is what is needed.

If you are getting it from a breeder then you don't have to worry to much about genetic health problems. Most good breeders will provide guarantees for the health of their dogs. i.e. they will replace a dog or give you your money back if it develops hip displacia (SP) or some other genetic illness in the first 2 years. We lived on an acreage outside of Edmonton and our Golden lived to be 15 years old.

All good dogs and would live well on the acreage but don't figure that a large area is good for the dog to run and play. Usually they will sit on the porch and wait for you or someone else to come home and play with them - then they love to get out and romp around.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here

Last edited by TrollGRG; 02-05-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
I'm glad to know THAT! which I didn't till just now.
I'm always sickened at the thought of unwanted pups being killed off before they even had a chance at life.

How long does the SPCA and AARCS etc, keep them?
Here in town (Calgary) they do not regularly put down dogs (one we have was in the shelter for 3 months when they normally they are in there for a couple of weeks). I don't think any of the rescues ever put down dogs.

The thing with puppies at shelters/rescues they do not last very long because, well puppies.

AARCS normally has a few puppies kicking around and a lot of them are reserve dogs so they are often of the heinz 57 variety. IMO, I would take a mutt over a purebred dog any day of the week. They are much heartier and have way fewer health issues in my experience.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:30 PM
Banned

I've had 2 blue heelers on my acreage. Unfortunately, both are now buried in a corner of my property with a "Dogwood Tree" to mark the spot. Great protective dogs that won't leave home and stay right here and not make troubles with the neighbour's cows. My current dog is a Beagle. And yeah, I best have the quad fired up and warmed before I set him loose. Border Collies make great acreage dogs too. Although they can get snarly with children when they get older. Good luck on your choice, there are many great breeds to be had.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:54 PM
Banned

Yeah I got my pooch at the red deer SPCA when he was about 8 months old. He was left and he never forgot it, he was an unbelievable dog. After 16 years we had to put him down, he only had 21 days left until he was going to be put down. From what I've seen and heard, a rescue animal never forgets.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:27 PM
Banned

Heelers are a protective, very very smart,durable, and extremely loyal. When trained they are one of the best breeds out there. When not trained they can be your worst nightmare.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.M.Anderson View Post
I would take a mutt over a purebred dog any day of the week. They are much heartier and have way fewer health issues in my experience.
Agreed. We adopted a rescue pup (Shepherd/lab/sheltie according to the vet.) His mom was found pregnant on the reserve but she had the litter at the local SPCA. Great dog - won't let anyone in the house that he doesn't know until we say "It's OK". He's 12 years old and we haven't put a dime into his health care other than regular vaccinations (we kennel him sometimes when we travel). I'm sure he's going to live until 16+ at this rate. He's a self-feeder and a bucket of food will last him the week (I bet most Lab owners can't claim that )

We can walk him off leash and he's great with other dogs, unless they get aggressive first - then he'll stand his ground. He'll even walk past a heard of elk and stay close (we live in Canmore). The only idiosyncrasy he has is when another dog walks past the house he'll let out an "I see you" bark and when someone comes to the door he'll bark until he knows who it is or we tell him to be quiet. Either way, his hearing is much better than ours and sometimes his sudden barks get our cortisol running (especially when he's sitting right beside me!)
Old 02-05-2018, 06:25 PM

Just remember you are only on 5 acres and your neighbours aren't a lot further away than they were in town, a outside dog barking regularly will make you a real nice addition to the neighbourhood, 5 acres is a small piece of land to feel you just bought a big farm for fido to roam, that is just not sensible.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Were building on our acreage this year and want to get a dog once were moved in. Wife says its an outside dog/garage dog.

I started looking at golden retrievers but heard about some common health issues.

We have 5 acres, and i fully plan on getting the buried wireless fence system.

We got a 2 year old and eventually have another so the breed needs to be good with kids.

What are some more breed options that would be a good fit?

I work in camp so i wont be home daily to play with it, but the wife would be.

Look up Sarplaninac. Natural born protector that cannot be better with kids. No wolf or coyote or any kind of predators ever will bother you. Highly intelligent dogs that would require minimal training. Everything I mentioned is mostly all genes.

I grew up with one so it comes with first hand experience
Old 02-05-2018, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Just remember you are only on 5 acres and your neighbours aren't a lot further away than they were in town, a outside dog barking regularly will make you a real nice addition to the neighbourhood, 5 acres is a small piece of land to feel you just bought a big farm for fido to roam, that is just not sensible.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, but as for constantly barking dogs on acreages, I disagree.

With all the acreage thefts going on lately, and the scum always getting away with it, I would think that neighbors would appreciate dogs barking "all the time" so that the slime might think someone will hear and be on the lookout, and think twice about approaching the property they intend to rob.

Even "stuck" where I've been for gawd knows how long, I don't mind at all when the neighborhood dogs bark a lot - even the little tiny yappy ones.

Any slimeballs "casing" the neighborhood know there's dogs everywhere and get worried enough to look for 'easier pickings' somewhere else.

JMO
Old 02-05-2018, 07:13 PM

Also looking for an acreage dog come spring. Tried to get a rescue pup last spring at one of the pet stores in Red Deer. Told them it was going to be an outside/heated shop dog, then was informed they only adopt dogs that will be inside house dogs, as it's cruel otherwise. Crazy!

Keep that in mind if your looking for a shelter pup, might have to lie a bit.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:52 PM
Banned

The Alaskan malamute is a handsome dog.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:58 PM

exactly what do you expect of the dog ??
do you want a retriever type for waterfowl,
do you want a dog for upland birds???
do you want a dog that just yap and whines, and craps??
like what would you like a dog to be like??
what is yer life style like????
I always say look real hard at your life style, then get a breed that fits in
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-05-2018, 08:33 PM

Just curious, but why did you rule out Great Danes?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:56 PM

Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I want a yard dog that can hop in the cab of the truck and go for a drive, or can hop on the boat and come fishing. Im not looking for a bird dog or a serious aggressive dog. Just want a buddy. Oh and one that wont eat the cats.

As a kid i had a black lab st bernard cross that would hangout in the shop and hang around the yard but also liked going for quad trips across the 1/4 section.

I do want a dog that will bark if someone is in my yard though.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey guys thanks for all the replies.

I want a yard dog that can hop in the cab of the truck and go for a drive, or can hop on the boat and come fishing. Im not looking for a bird dog or a serious aggressive dog. Just want a buddy. Oh and one that wont eat the cats.

As a kid i had a black lab st bernard cross that would hangout in the shop and hang around the yard but also liked going for quad trips across the 1/4 section.

I do want a dog that will bark if someone is in my yard though.
Golden retriever
Old 02-06-2018, 05:56 AM

I have a sr.bernard great pyarnese cross dog by far the best 300 dollars I have ever spent. Great pyarnese in my opinion make the best acreage dog they get use to their range and don’t wonder to far off it they are intimidating but not great with kids. That been my experience but then again every dog can be different. The only complaint I would have is they work the night shift and can bark a lot.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Just curious, but why did you rule out Great Danes?
They slobber too much to be inside a vehicle.