Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2018, 11:20 AM

Default Another school shooting in the States

This world is getting to be a sad place.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/texas-h...port-1.4668686

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-18-2018, 12:37 PM

Sounds like a kid with known problems

Dustin Severin, a 17-year-old student, told local NBC affiliate KPRC that he saw Pagourtzis in the hallway shortly before the bullets started flying — and that he was wearing his usual outfit.

"He wears a trench coat every day, and it's like 90 degrees out here," Severin said.
Pagourtzis, Severin added, was the victim of bullying — and not just by other students.
"He's been picked on by coaches before, for smelling bad and stuff like that," Severin said. "And he doesn't really talk to very many people either. He keeps to himself."

And it will be the guns fault as usual
Old 05-18-2018, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Sounds like a kid with known problems

Dustin Severin, a 17-year-old student, told local NBC affiliate KPRC that he saw Pagourtzis in the hallway shortly before the bullets started flying — and that he was wearing his usual outfit.

"He wears a trench coat every day, and it's like 90 degrees out here," Severin said.
Pagourtzis, Severin added, was the victim of bullying — and not just by other students.
"He's been picked on by coaches before, for smelling bad and stuff like that," Severin said. "And he doesn't really talk to very many people either. He keeps to himself."

And it will be the guns fault as usual

Yes I am sure mental issues, sexual abuse?, or a hundred other factors will never be discussed....but that DANG firearm...will be the problem...no doubt !
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:11 PM
Banned

This is big news.

Funny how the major school shooting that was prevented this week by an armed school resource officer was not deemed very newsworthy. Pathetic actually.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:36 PM

It's too bad that it would be next to impossible to suppress coverage of such events. The perps are seeking their minute of fame and perhaps either sympathy or scorn of either the masses or their deviant online friends. If these never got the coverage that they do we'd likely see a bigger drop in them than if firearms were banned. Keep in mind that such coverage would also have to be suppressed for any type of mass killing, regardless of the type of weapon selected by the perpetrator (firearm, vehicle, bladed weapon, bomb, etc)
Old 05-18-2018, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
It's too bad that it would be next to impossible to suppress coverage of such events. The perps are seeking their minute of fame and perhaps either sympathy or scorn of either the masses or their deviant online friends. If these never got the coverage that they do we'd likely see a bigger drop in them than if firearms were banned. Keep in mind that such coverage would also have to be suppressed for any type of mass killing, regardless of the type of weapon selected by the perpetrator (firearm, vehicle, bladed weapon, bomb, etc)
Thats a very good point. These mass anything all boil down to drawing attention. Whether its Knife, Gun, Truck or Bomb. From the high school introvert, to ISIS, they want the attention in the end. Take that away and a lot of the reason for doing it would be gone.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:26 PM

Yawn......just another day in the good ol US of A
Old 05-18-2018, 06:41 PM

Default signs

First off , how accountable should the father be?? He would know the kids temperment better than anyone,so should it be his problem? Lets say that he did have insight that his son was capable of this, should his guns have been unobtainable... I sure think so . Not only was it stated that the little bastards hygeine was lacking but was wearing a born to kill t shirt. Really seems like a parenting problem(or lack of)and his parents should be held accountable.He is not an adult and someone should be held responsible for this lousey future generation as so many feel that they need to take lives of the total innocent! There is just no action taken on lowlifes in their country and ours which is why this **** happens! I say" Stiffer penalties all around" and lets take back this once semi normal society
Old 05-18-2018, 06:46 PM

Tragic. Sick of seeing this...
Old 05-18-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott h View Post
Yup bad stuff only happens to them Danm yanks......must be something in the way they say yeehaw and thank you ma'am...... or go to church on Sundays with the wife and kids.... Nothing bad ever happens any where else....
Old 05-18-2018, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lites out View Post
First off , how accountable should the father be?? He would know the kids temperment better than anyone,so should it be his problem? Lets say that he did have insight that his son was capable of this, should his guns have been unobtainable... I sure think so . Not only was it stated that the little bastards hygeine was lacking but was wearing a born to kill t shirt. Really seems like a parenting problem(or lack of)and his parents should be held accountable.He is not an adult and someone should be held responsible for this lousey future generation as so many feel that they need to take lives of the total innocent! There is just no action taken on lowlifes in their country and ours which is why this **** happens! I say" Stiffer penalties all around" and lets take back this once semi normal society
SO your saying we should string up the son for the actions of the father or is it the father who should be hung for the actions of his son?
Old 05-18-2018, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Yup bad stuff only happens to them Danm yanks......must be something in the way they say yeehaw and thank you ma'am...... or go to church on Sundays with the wife and kids.... Nothing bad ever happens any where else....
Might be the going to church part cuz they pray every time there is a mass shooting down there.......and that seems to be every couple of weeks
Old 05-18-2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_s..._United_States

To have 31% of the mass shooting worldwide might be a problem???????
Old 05-18-2018, 11:51 PM

Can't really say I was in shock when I saw the news. I actually did not even bother to check any of the articles beyond a few headlines. One of them, by the way, stated something along the lines of "The deadliest mass shooting in the US since February when blah blah in Florida."

From the few things I saw in the posts above (maybe completely untrue), the thing could have been prevented if our southern neighbours had minimal firearm storage requirements. Not sure what really happened (and can't really say that I am too interested in finding out because, like I said, another one bites the dust and there will in all likelihood be another one in a month or two), but if the gun(s) belong to a parent and were easily available, the parent should be responsible and should be sued by the victims' families until butt naked. Perhaps others will then think just a little harder, but it is highly unlikely because

P.S. No, I am not antigun and whatever. I own quite a few firearms and am not happy with what is being proposed by our country's leaders in terms of firearm legislation.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Might be the going to church part cuz they pray every time there is a mass shooting down there.......and that seems to be every couple of weeks
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

There is obviously a problem. Too bad so many people don't see it for what it is.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:53 PM

^ What is it?
Old 05-19-2018, 06:40 AM

Not as much coverage as I would have expected, there probably would have been a lot more coverage if the shooter had used an AR-15. And as expected, almost no coverage on the situation where an armed officer prevented a shooting. It seems that the media coverage is determined by the presence of a political agenda, and the mental issues that result in these incidents seem to be ignored as the media attacks firearms.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:16 AM

Those guns should have been locked up and the perp should never have access.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
^ What is it?
Mental illness, full stop.

A normal person does not have a desire for mass murder.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:41 AM
Banned

There are crazies everywhere regardless of firearms laws.

http://lethbridgeherald.com/news/wor...stern-germany/

Quote:

BERLIN – German media are reporting two people have been killed in a shooting near the southwestern city of Saarbruecken.

The Saarbruecker Zeitung newspaper reported Saturday that police have a suspect in custody.

The newspaper reports the shooting was in Fechingen, southeast of the city.

Further details are not immediately available.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
This response is sickening. 9 young people were struck down in the prime of their life. Save your crass, tasteless comments for some other forum. This crap is not needed nor tolerated here. Full stop.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 AM

Default Warning

Posts have been deleted. Suspensions have been given out. There will be absolutely no patience given for tasteless, ignorant comments when discussing the cutting down of young people in the prime of life. This is an outdoors forum, and gun control will always be allowed as a topic, but not on this subject. Period. There are some people on this thread who are very close to being banned, but think it won't happen because they walk the line and skirt the rules. There also seems to be a mindset among some that this forum will be lost without your stupid comments. There are over 68,000 members on this forum. Trust me. It will go on without you. Grow up or do us all a favor and move on.

Last edited by sns2; 05-19-2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:23 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
This response is sickening. 9 young people were struck down in the prime of their life. Save your crass, tasteless comments for some other forum. This crap is not needed nor tolerated here. Full stop.
Finally...
Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
... One of them, by the way, stated something along the lines of "The deadliest mass shooting in the US since February when blah blah in Florida."

Not sure what really happened (and can't really say that I am too interested in finding out because, like I said, another one bites the dust and there will in all likelihood be another one in a month or two)...
This response is sickening. 9 young people were struck down in the prime of their life, and you say another one bites the dust. Save your crass, tasteless comments for some other forum. This crap is not needed nor tolerated here. Full stop.

Last edited by sns2; 05-19-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:51 AM

Thoughts go out to the families of the children involved. Truly heart breaking.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:04 PM

It is unfortunate, but the fact is that mental illness isn't going to disappear anytime soon, and this type of thing will continue to happen as a result. As to blaming the father who owned the firearms, I don't know how the firearms were stored, or how the 17 year old accessed them, so I will withhold comment on that. I do know that when I was 17, the current regulations did not exist, and I had access to the household firearms, as did most people my age. Some of the people condemning the father, likely had legal access to firearms as well, when they were 17.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:12 PM

I would say that the father of the boy screwed up big time! The kid definently had issues and his parents couldn’t have noticed it. The father should’ve kept his guns locked! The child shouldn’t have an access to the weapons. Tragedies like this one are totally avoidable if only the parents have done their part!
Old 05-19-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
I would say that the father of the boy screwed up big time! The kid definently had issues and his parents couldn’t have noticed it. The father should’ve kept his guns locked! The child shouldn’t have an access to the weapons. Tragedies like this one are totally avoidable if only the parents have done their part!
Has the news reported that he got the gun from unlocked storage in the home? Pretty big conclusion to jump to and blame the parents.

Always the chance that it was purchased illegally, or it was stolen from secured storage in the home.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post

This is the 22nd US school shooting since the beginning of the year, and the third instance in eight days in which a gunman was on a school campus.

The U.S. has a problem unlike anywhere else in the civilized world and with each incidence there's lots of hand wringing and ballyhooing at the start and then....nothing. As long as they continue doing nothing, which is highly likely with the doofus they have running the show, nothing will change.

Maybe it's just inherent in the U.S. psyche.
Old 05-19-2018, 01:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
This is the 22nd US school shooting since the beginning of the year, and the third instance in eight days in which a gunman was on a school campus.

The U.S. has a problem unlike anywhere else in the civilized world and with each incidence there's lots of hand wringing and ballyhooing at the start and then....nothing. As long as they continue doing nothing, which is highly likely with the doofus they have running the show, nothing will change.

Maybe it's just inherent in the U.S. psyche.
Define school shooting.

Get your facts straight before you try to promote a shallow
and misleading agenda.

You blame the "psyche" in the US for the disproportionate amount of school shootings, what do you blame for the disproportionate amount of terrorism in other countries?