Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Banned

Default Cougar

The Coward friend is going to lived the horrific memory
Old 05-21-2018, 05:08 PM

Have to agree, don’t judge unless your heads been inside a cats mouth. Mine has not. Shock and andrenilin do weird things to people.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:44 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The keyboard warrior thing go both ways fellas.

What parent here would run away as their child is being attacked by a cougar? That's where my perspective is coming from, take it or leave it but I'm fully entitled to hold such a belief. I've also had plenty of instances where I've been running towards a problem rather than fleeing it so I know exactly where my cojones are when the poop hits the fan. Sometimes fleeing is absolutely the right thing to do (take an uncontrollable fire for one instance) but in this instance I maintain that a united front was the best chance for both to survive. A simple $35 can of bear spray could have saved his buddy for Pete's sake. An ounce of prevention is much cheaper than a funeral home invoice.

The scenario that maybe the survivor knew the other fellow was already dead is plausible and has merit, but if it wasn't the case......
WOWZERS !
Old 05-21-2018, 05:44 PM

The word "Coward" is used all to often in situations that do not warrant it. Each person is allowed to their own opinion, but it is strictly an opinion.
Based off what some of you deem "coward" I have to guess that unless a Army man fights to his death no matter what, that makes him a "coward" if he lived and could have still attacked but they withdrew for other reasons, that makes them a "coward". Fight to the death and dont regard others or your own life "makes one a coward".

After reading a few reports this guy did the right thing. One lived and one died. They could have both died, neither one would have been a hero, and neither one a coward, just both dead.

This forum and some of it's people are really going down hill. It's a sad day when we cant just say what a tragic turn of events. How can we help prevent something similar in the future. What can we do and or carry that is reasonable to ward off or prevent an attack.

In stead people throw the word "coward" around. And puff their chest out and say I would do better and would have been a super hero and saved my friend all the while killing the cougar and saving 1000's from the couagrs evil clutches.

I hang my head.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Accusations? The proof is in the pudding! Dude ran (cycled) away and didn't present a united front with his buddy, which was really the best option for both to survive. Buddy died as a result. That's a flat out coward however one cuts it.
This ^^^^^
Old 05-21-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
The keyboard warrior thing go both ways fellas.

What parent here would run away as their child is being attacked by a cougar? That's where my perspective is coming from, take it or leave it but I'm fully entitled to hold such a belief. I've also had plenty of instances where I've been running towards a problem rather than fleeing it so I know exactly where my cojones are when the poop hits the fan. Sometimes fleeing is absolutely the right thing to do (take an uncontrollable fire for one instance) but in this instance I maintain that a united front was the best chance for both to survive. A simple $35 can of bear spray could have saved his buddy for Pete's sake. An ounce of prevention is much cheaper than a funeral home invoice.

The scenario that maybe the survivor knew the other fellow was already dead is plausible and has merit, but if it wasn't the case......
So first of all, when it comes to protecting a child, your maternal instinct kicks in and you run on Adrenalin and and this instinct. Second, they probably didn’t have a can of bear spray. And that was fullest.
Third, maybe his buddy decided that he has a better chance to outrun his friend than a cougar.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post

This forum and some of it's people are really going down hill. It's a sad day when we cant just say what a tragic turn of events. How can we help prevent something similar in the future. What can we do and or carry that is reasonable to ward off or prevent an attack.

In stead people throw the word "coward" around. And puff their chest out and say I would do better and would have been a super hero and saved my friend all the while killing the cougar and saving 1000's from the couagrs evil clutches.

I hang my head.

I already allowed for the possibility that he was not a coward, perhaps you might allow for the at-the-very-least-equal possibility that he was? I don't know whether or not to address where you referred to claims that not one single person made such as killing the animal, boasting, etc.....

Odd too how you note it was sad that nobody mentioned possible preventive measures when I clearly noted that a person should have bear spray with them. Preferably that and more, Washington is an open-carry State after all.

The death just strikes me as so very left-coast / Disney-factor in how underprepared for the dark side of nature these two were.

I'll just skulk in my corner with my mostly unpopular opinion. Cripes, whatever happened to self-determination and preparedness as it relates to an outdoorsmen's forum anyways? Sad the fellows dead, too band nobody did anything to help. Call me crazy, its just that my sympathy is for the dead guy rather than for the live one. Why does a live guy need my sympathy anyways? I really don't think he'll notice its absence.
Old 05-21-2018, 07:52 PM

Brave cat to attack two men. I wonder how big a cat? Killed by cat may take a while. Terrible. Not a good bike ride. Sorry for those affected.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Odd too how you note it was sad that nobody mentioned possible preventive measures when I clearly noted that a person should have bear spray with them. Preferably that and more, Washington is an open-carry State after all.
It's kind of funny how one interprets what they read, not what's said.
I stated "It's a sad day when we cant just say what a tragic turn of events"
Then I stated
"How can we help prevent something similar in the future. What can we do and or carry that is reasonable to ward off or prevent an attack".
No were did I state what is quoted from your post above. Thank you so very much for the words of twist. It's a wonderful day.

Have a wonderful evening.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
x2. Lots of slef-described macho man types posting but not one of them knows what they'd do in the event of a wild animal attack. Same guys who would have run into the Florida school with their handguns to easily subdue the shooter I guess. Didn't Trump actually state that that's what HE would have done?
Trump's statement was to the effect of "I, along with most of the people in this room, would have likely ran into the school, but no one knows how they will react until they are faced with that situation". Seems like a fair statement to me, and I'm not sure why you're laughing at it.

Gerry Burnie
Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
It's kind of funny how one interprets what they read, not what's said.
I stated "It's a sad day when we cant just say what a tragic turn of events"
Then I stated
"How can we help prevent something similar in the future. What can we do and or carry that is reasonable to ward off or prevent an attack".
No were did I state what is quoted from your post above. Thank you so very much for the words of twist. It's a wonderful day.

Have a wonderful evening.
At least you acknowledge that reading comprehension is a two way street. And may the force be with you as well.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
I already allowed for the possibility that he was not a coward, perhaps you might allow for the at-the-very-least-equal possibility that he was? I don't know whether or not to address where you referred to claims that not one single person made such as killing the animal, boasting, etc.....

The death just strikes me as so very left-coast / Disney-factor in how underprepared for the dark side of nature these two were.

I'll just skulk in my corner with my mostly unpopular opinion. Cripes, whatever happened to self-determination and preparedness as it relates to an outdoorsmen's forum anyways? Sad the fellows dead, too band nobody did anything to help. Call me crazy, its just that my sympathy is for the dead guy rather than for the live one. Why does a live guy need my sympathy anyways? I really don't think he'll notice its absence.
100% agree, no bear spray, no nothin?
Like really what did these two think would happen if they went whizzin by a mountain lion?
That the kitty would stop and play patty cakes?
Chaulk this one up to natural selection.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
Like really what did these two think would happen if they went whizzin by a mountain lion?
Google up a photo of them and things become quite clear. I had not seen those pics until this thread had gone quiet yesterday so my comments made then were not based on their lifestyle choice.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:01 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=CaberTosser;3789041]Google up a photo of them and things become quite clear. I had not seen those pics until this thread had gone quiet yesterday so my comments made then were not based on their lifestyle choice.[/QUOTE Very
Old 05-23-2018, 06:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Google up a photo of them and things become quite clear. I had not seen those pics until this thread had gone quiet yesterday so my comments made then were not based on their lifestyle choice.
I'm not sure what you mean, what becomes quite clear?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
From the cat's perspective:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg I see dead people.jpg (33.8 KB, 25 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
You have no idea what the new generation of urban living people think about wilderness. They think that the mountain biking n the mountains is the same as going thru Edmonton river valley! My daughter -a few years ago- told me that they are going to Kananaskis for the weekend. Camping, hiking etc. When her friends came to pick her up I asked them about the wildlife defence, what are they bringing. NOTHING they say, they aren’t going deep into the woods and will just stay on the trails. I had to sit them down and lecture for half an hour !
They thought that I’m just been paranoid. I finally saw that what I’m trying to tell them isn’t sinking in very deep. I pull my daughter aside and told her that her friends are idiots for not taking it seriously. My final words to her was exactly the following: if **** hits the fan, she doesn’t need to outrun the bear, she only needs to outrun her friends.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:

The deceased is the fellow pictured on the right. Take a guess why they were unarmed and underprepared.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
The deceased is the fellow pictured on the right. Take a guess why they were unarmed and underprepared.

I see what you mean. No checkered flannel.
Old 05-23-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
I see what you mean. No checkered flannel.
Nope. The cougar is a rasist and fascist !
Old 05-23-2018, 01:43 PM

In this day and age this could happen to many people. City folk riding their bikes in fish creek park could get nailed. Time for the powers to be to put a bounty on the crop and let the trappers thin them out.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
In this day and age this could happen to many people. City folk riding their bikes in fish creek park could get nailed. Time for the powers to be to put a bounty on the crop and let the trappers thin them out.
X2 to many living in close proximity to people. They have no fear of people anymore.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2018, 02:56 PM

I find it strange. I am far from a city person, spend countless days hiking and fishing in cougar territory and seldom carry bear spray or a gun. Further, a cougar is fully capable of dispatching an elk with little trouble. A human, man, woman, other would stand no chance.

The only time I get really worried is packing an put an animal; smelling like blood and reduced mobility.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:57 PM
Banned

Old 05-23-2018, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

Still don't understand, fill us in.
Old 05-23-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:

Curious where exactly you're going with this?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Still don't understand, fill us in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy View Post
Curious where exactly you're going with this?
do they look super outdoorsy to you?

you know bloody well, stop fishing

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-23-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
do they look super outdoorsy to you?

you know bloody well, stop fishing
There is an outdoorsy look?

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-23-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
There is an outdoorsy look?
There isn't? Damn, thought I had that going for me