Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2009, 10:54 PM

Default Fishfinder/GPS Combo's

I am thinking of buying the father in law a fishfinder/gps combo. It will be used for fishing Salmon off the coast of BC. I hope i can keep it under $600. I have looked at the Humming bird 597ci combo and it seems like it would do the job and its the right price.

I really need anyones advice as i havent done much fishing on the coast.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:34 AM

Default Gps combo

I did alot of digging over the last couple months, ended up going with the lowrance hds5 around $800-900. I felt it was worht the extra $$$$$$$$
Old 06-18-2009, 09:17 AM

And... Can you give us a report on how you like it? Any problems? I have been looking at it as well but it's over priced as far as I'm concerned. I was also looking at the discontinued 527c but it's hard to find and is still expensive. I want something I can use when I go out to the Coast and for down rigger fishing so a dual beam Transducer seems to be the way to go. I would like to hear what others have and their experience with them.

I would also like to hear whats available for software charts for Canada. It does not seem like there is much out there.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudslide View Post
And... Can you give us a report on how you like it? Any problems? I have been looking at it as well but it's over priced as far as I'm concerned. I was also looking at the discontinued 527c but it's hard to find and is still expensive. I want something I can use when I go out to the Coast and for down rigger fishing so a dual beam Transducer seems to be the way to go. I would like to hear what others have and their experience with them.

I would also like to hear whats available for software charts for Canada. It does not seem like there is much out there.
I picked up a 527 last year for my boat, brand new off of Ebay. I ended up getting it for roughly $200 less than anywhere else. I like it, the internal GPS sometimes has issues picking up a signal if I don't have the mount extended, but other than that its worked really well.

As for software charts, are you looking for the coast or inland lakes? Navionics offers some great charts for coastal waters but sadly the inland lakes are somewhat lacking (except for Ontario).
Old 06-18-2009, 09:41 AM

Default gps combo

the unit it self does allot more than a Alberta fishing boat would need it to do. ie: radar compatible, you can hook it up to the engines computer to monitor the systems. etc.

I like the display, the dual transducer will be great when we head to the deep water. the internal gps is great for marking drop offs. and keeping the speed correct when trolling

I don't like the base maps they come with. lower K was just a blob. and CV as well. I spoke to a guy @ gps central. he said for $120 you can get an awesome topo base map. that will give you exact shore line. apparently we got the combo with the lake insight. It will give you extreme underwater detail of lakes that they have surveyed. but there is nothing for us up here.

in the end the extra cost is going for all of the extra's it does. but it is a nop notch gps/sonar.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderpride55 View Post
I don't like the base maps they come with. lower K was just a blob. and CV as well. I spoke to a guy @ gps central. he said for $120 you can get an awesome topo base map. that will give you exact shore line. apparently we got the combo with the lake insight. It will give you extreme underwater detail of lakes that they have surveyed. but there is nothing for us up here.
I've got that topo map for my Lowrance (FreedomMaps), and it's definitely better than the map that comes with them, but I wouldn't call it the "exact" shoreline by any stretch lol.

Our bathymetry maps in western Canada are a joke (when they're even available, which is practically never) compared to the detail they have in the USA or southern Ontario. It's really frustrating to see the amazing maps they have to work with and not being able to get anything even remotely close up here.

Waxy
Old 06-18-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks Guys
Do the latest HD Navionics chips work with the 527 ?
I am interested in the Canadian Coastal ones. I understand the Alberta chips are practically useless.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:21 PM

Good insight guys. Sounds like I am on the right track with this idea. I appreciate your help.
Old 06-19-2009, 12:32 AM

navionics makes a great card for the coast, but like was said, it only shows the bigger lakes in alberta, ie lesser slave etc. Look into Garmin fishfinders and GPS. Garmin just finished a SD card with ONLY alberta lakes on it. Should be in stores in the next month or 2 is what I've heard.

597ci for the price compares to the lowrance HDS5, 597ci isn't near as HD capable as the lowrance but for features etc it does the job just as well and is a few hundred dollars less. If you're running cannon downriggers then humminbird is the way to go.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:34 AM

I bought an Eagle Seacharter 642 IGPS. Good mapping with coastal upgrades available (lowrance). Designed with more power and features for salt water. I had a Humminbird and found it simple to use, but had to send it back twice for warranty, so decided to try the Eagle this time, and really like it so far. Price was around $700 on ebay.