Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-26-2010, 02:52 PM

Default Where and how can I hammer some perch?

I've never had any luck targeting perch but I wanna eat some this winter. Anybody got some tips for catching them? Where on the lake should I be looking to set up and what sort of depth should I be fishing at? What's best for bait?

Around the Edmonton area, where's going to be a good place to go? A buddy of mine said his friend got skunked at Hasse this month and I went out there this summer and only caught a couple of those famous micro perch.

I'm not very experienced at filleting so while it's fun to catch pike and walleye its not so fun eating bony hacked up tiny fillets. This video has had me excited to catch some perch to try out this method of cleaning. Anyone ever done anything similar?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTlFwQb7D0

Last edited by ssyd; 12-26-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
I've never had any luck targeting perch but I wanna eat some this winter. Anybody got some tips for catching them? Where on the lake should I be looking to set up and what sort of depth should I be fishing at? What's best for bait?

Around the Edmonton area, where's going to be a good place to go? A buddy of mine said his friend got skunked at Hasse this month and I went out there this summer and only caught a couple of those famous micro perch.

I'm not very experienced at filleting so while it's fun to catch pike and walleye its not so fun eating bony hacked up tiny fillets. This video has had me excited to catch some perch to try out this method of cleaning. Anyone ever done anything similar?
Thunder Lake by Barrhead.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:37 PM

dont know about the perch at thunder but we were on it today with snowmobiles and there is lots of snow, over a foot , and we did not get far across it and ran into LOTS of water . turned back and got off the lake . we did not stop to check how much , we just pinned it and got off the lake in places the water had to be a foot deep , we got soaked . BE CAREFULL !!!

no signs of people fishing from what we saw
Old 12-26-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
When we fished off the dock at Hasse during the summer there were lots and lots of people who were not catching and they would think there was no fish. We would just be pulling them in while right sitting beside them. They would ask what we were using and I'd show them a tiny little jig on very light line with a few maggots. They would be using a large hook with a quarter size piece of shrimp on it. There was a good chance the perch were nibbling at the shrimp but there is no way they would ever be able to get their mouths to open wide enough to eat the hook.

So, scale way down. You know the jig and line are light enough when two or three writhing maggots can move it around when they sit in your hand. Then start at the bottom and move up gradually. I don't think you never need to be more than 2-3 off the bottom. You should be able to get them little guys.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM

ielittle glow in the dark jig w/ a small piece of shrimp
Old 12-27-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:

check this for cleaning pike http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM3wAgBmeNU
Old 12-27-2010, 10:35 AM

That perch cleaning video is how I learned to clean them and seems to work great for me. And fast!
As far as catching them, tiniest hook(or jig) u have, and a wee bit of wormie works amazing imo. Finding them lil tasty buggers is a different story. Kinda why I like the worm though, if ur not quite on top of them, they will soon come to u.
Cheers.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM

twin lake by rocky has tons of perch go to the first dock. all by the dock they hang out there
Old 12-27-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gui View Post
twin lake by rocky has tons of perch go to the first dock. all by the dock they hang out there
And don't forget to take your hammer.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:38 AM

Hey big red why the hammer???
Old 12-28-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhunter View Post
Hey big red why the hammer???
hammer some eh?
Old 12-28-2010, 08:37 AM

I fillet perch and walleye the exact sme way. I cut both sides out, shave off the skin, remove the rib cage and cut out a little row of bones that is left. Even Whitefish are very similar except for the last row of bones to be taken out are at a 45degree angle instead of a 90.

BH