Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Default first year bird hunting

Hey guys the brother and I just bought a couple of shotguns and we are hoping to go after both ducks and geese and we are wondering what size of shot and what choke we should be using.
like I said we are brand new at this so any info would be helpful, and ideas on where to go for game in the strathcona county area would be very much appreciated
Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomondk View Post
Hey guys the brother and I just bought a couple of shotguns and we are hoping to go after both ducks and geese and we are wondering what size of shot and what choke we should be using.
like I said we are brand new at this so any info would be helpful, and ideas on where to go for game in the strathcona county area would be very much appreciated
I use # 2 shot for both ducks and geese,because it can knock geese down and there are more pellets per shot compared to bb 0r bbb shot.However if your just targeting ducks I would use #4 shot.And you cant shoot steel shot out of some guns that have full chokes so make sure you know if your gun can or you will get a bulge in the barrel.!