Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 PM

I would have to agree with elkhunter11 that head shots are not always a clean kill or a clean miss. I had the unfortunate job of finishing off a wounded bull elk in heavy bush. We were on hosres and my partner in front got off his horse first and labeled the bull in the hind quarters, then proceeded to emty his gun with no other hits [scope was loose]. It was then left to me to finish this poor animal off before he made down into the Smokey River bottom. The only shots I had [clear shots] were for the head/neck. If I had a poor scope I would have never seen the hair fly off of his face and head. That bull took three shots to the head, all missing the brain but took out just about everything else around his jaw and scull plate, but it did not slow his pace to the river ounce. My fourth shot was middle neck which dropped him just before going down the bank to the river.I suffer bad hightmares of that bull every time I hear someone say "head shots are the best, it's best shot to take the animal dosn't know what hit him". Take it from me a head shot is not the best shot to take on a healthy "trophy" or any other big game that you don't want to suffer and die later because it can't eat anymore. The best thing you should do bonedogrocky is to check your gun and see if it still on at 100 yards and if it is go hunt that same area and watch for Ravens. Good luck on your next shot, hope it takes out the boiler room.

Crabman
Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Lets say that 50% of hunters could make that shot (more like 75% IMO), that`s not too bad of a chance.
I specified offhand,not off of a solid rest,and having watched many shooters at our local range,even 50% would be optimistic in my opinion.Most shooters have trouble keeping their offhand shots on a pie plate sized target at 100 yards.And 50% is just as good of odds for wounding as of a clean kill,which is not acceptable to me.

Quote:
Also I suspect he would have injured the elk in some way, the brain/spine might be 3" but the target was larger and he should have hit something.
The spine/jugular is the target if you are shooting at the neck.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-18-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:45 PM

Default Do it!!!

hey my man!

im totally a guy who loves his 30-30. its my absolute go to gun and i trust and know it like i think i know women. last year was a good year for her. she went 4 for 4 on neck shots. 1 mule buck 1 wt buck and 2 wt does , all bang flops , the only shot over 100 yrds was the wt buck who i ranged at 170 or so yrds. that marlin loaded with hornady flex tips will put 5 shots in a cirlce a little bigger than a tea saucer at 300yrds....which is fits comfortably in any big games vitals. not too bad for the old girl!!

last week i shot a doe at about 65 yrds in the head with her and thats all she wrote. ill save everybody the pics because it was a little rough on the stomach. but if theres any rifle i put my money and trust on its my well used and very well kept marlin. dont let anyone tell you other wise. ive been on a lot of moose hunts since a tike and nearly all were with a 30-30 or a 308 brit.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I specified offhand,not off of a solid rest,and having watched many shooters at our local range,even 50% would be optimistic in my opinion.Most shooters have trouble keeping their offhand shots on a pie plate sized target at 100 yards.And 50% is just as good of odds for wounding as of a clean kill,which is not acceptable to me.
I'd say it's more like 20% of everyday hunters can hit a 3" circle at 100yds.... At the rifle rodeo 50% of guys can't hit a 9" by 11" sheet of white paper offhand standing unsupported at 100yds. I shoot 3000 or more rounds of centerfire a year at the range in practice. I'd be lucky to hit a 3" circle while shooting unsupported standing 2 shots out of 5, chances are I might not hit it at all with 5 shots. Next time I might get lucky and hit it all five. I actually practice those shots frequently enough to know that I can't reliably count on myself to guarantee that if nothing else went wrong that I'd hit that brain or spinal column every time. I'd never try an offhand unsupported brain shot on an animal at 100 yds. But thats just me, I'd beat myself up too much if I took a shot I knew I shouldn't have.

Secret is only take shots you know you can make, find a rest, get closer, whatever, even then things can go and do go wrong and cause a miss. If your taking a shot at an animal and just hoping you will hit it, shooting just because it might get away or its the only buck you've seen and it's the last day of the season and you think to yourself....... what can I lose I may as well take a shot, might get lucky and hit it, then you shouldn't be shooting.

Last edited by Bushrat; 09-18-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:03 PM

I miss read what you said in a earlier post I thought I read brain, I went back and read you wrote spine/jugular, so I meant what you wrote. Sorry.

I thought this was about why he missed and not if it was a ethical shot, so I was referring to the reasons why he missed.

Would I have taken that shot?
Yes.

Why?
1-Chances like that don't come too often
2-It doesn't seem like that too difficult of a shot.
3-If I would have injured the animal I would have pursued it till I found the animal, and killed it if need be.

P.S.
It's good to use the smilies, it's hard to tell the tone of your post, are you angry or upset or are you nonchalant and just discussing. I use them so I don't come of like I'm ****ed or something.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:13 PM

Quote:
I thought this was about why he missed and not if it was a ethical shot,
Actually he did ask if we considered this an easy shot.Whether or not it was considered an easy shot or a low percentage shot could naturally lead to a discussion on the ethics of taking such a shot.

Quote:
1-Chances like that don't come too often
To quote Bushrat whose statement I agree with 100%

Quote:
If your taking a shot at an animal and just hoping you will hit it and shooting just because it might get away or its the only buck you've seen and it's the last day of the season and you have the what can I lose I might hit it attitude then you shouldn't be shooting.
Quote:
2-It doesn't seem like that too difficult of a shot.
Obviously it wasn't an easy shot for him,or he would not have missed.

Quote:
3-If I would have injured the animal I would have pursued it till I found the animal, and killed it if need be.
So just how many hours/days would you have dedicated to finding an animal with a wound on it's neck.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-18-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM

I only take shots I know I can make.

There is no guarantee that you can make any shot you take, so what you don't hunt??? Common, there is always a chance you'll miss. A 100 yard shot is not a hard shot, 200 yard or more yes but not a 100 yard shot.

He missed because his sights are out.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonedogrocky View Post
I missed what could have been my first elk last evening. The elk was looking right at me and all I could see was his neck and head. I shoot a 30-30. Is this considered to be an easy shot? I shot and missed and am driving myself crazy thinking about it. Help me!! How badly did I screw up?
the point is you made the shot. the question should be did you really miss it? did you go to where he stood and check for signs of a hit? did you criss cross his escape trail and look for blood? one should NEVER assume he missed a neck shot on a spooked bull elk. and he may not drop much blood for up to 50 yards! if you can't figure why you missed maybe you didn't.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:33 PM

Quote:
There is no guarantee that you can make any shot you take, so what you don't hunt??? Common, there is always a chance you'll miss. A 100 yard shot is not a hard shot, 200 yard or more yes but not a 100 yard shot.
I practice regularly at the distances that I would shoot at a big game animal,so I know my odds of making pretty much any shot that is presented to me.I will not take a shot unless I believe that my odds of a clean kill are 90%+.I don't shoot just because any chance is better than no chance.

So just how sure are you that you can hit a 3" target at 100 yards offhand at least 9 times out of ten?
Forget 90%,would you bet $1000 of your hard earned money that you can hit a 3" target seven times out of ten offhand at 100yards?

If I could get 100 random shooters from any range in Alberta to make that bet with me,I would have a very large hunting budget for the next few years.

Quote:
the point is you made the shot. the question should be did you really miss it? did you go to where he stood and check for signs of a hit? did you criss cross his escape trail and look for blood? one should NEVER assume he missed a neck shot on a spooked bull elk. and he may not drop much blood for up to 50 yards! if you can't figure why you missed maybe you didn't.
And in the case of a damaged esophagus,or trachea,there may be little or no blood for quite a ways,but the wound could be fatal in hours or even days.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:34 PM

True el sparko.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:39 PM

90% is your standard, not everyones. If 90% is your standard that's okay but you must not get many opportunities.

j/k
Old 09-18-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
90% is your standard, not everyones. If 90% is your standard that's okay but you must not get many opportunities.
Enough to fill my elk tag fifteen years in a row.

And coincidentally,when you practice more,your percentage goes up,so more shot situations fall within that 90%.A 90% shot for a person that shoots a lot can easily be a 20% shot for someone that never practices.

And by the way,I did not expect an answer to my question as to whether you would bet $1000 of your money that you could hit a 3" target seven out of ten times offhand at 100 yards.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 09-18-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:32 PM

awesome! elkhunter ,
my thoughts exactly, i wouldnt be so inclined to take neck and head shots unless ive invested the time to know that im confident in my abilities. you cant say enough than....KNOW YOUR RIFLE....KNOW YOUR ROUND...KNOW YOUR LIMITATIONS!!!

the more you understand and respect the limitations of your setup the better!
Old 09-19-2009, 11:06 AM

IMO a head neck shot is not a good idea. Last year i hit a moose in the neck while aiming just behind the front leg. I shot he went down and thinking i got a good shot on him i left him to expire. When I returned with some help about an hour or sooner we seen that the moose was still thrashing in the water. It wasn't getting up so i walked up to him and finished the kill. While i was skinning the animal to my surprise i noticed that i hit him in front of the shoulder and just on top the spine breaking 2 vertebra. It was my fault that I let that animal suffer and in it's thrashing it attracted a pack of wolves that ended up surrounding us towards the end of the procedure. I could of ended up bad for us but that animal I left suffering will always be in the back of my mind. Since then I always make sure the animal is dead and that there is little to no suffering going on. Always take a good clean body shot or don't take any at all. Good luck safe hunting and keep your mind in the game.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:43 PM

Bushrat speaks from experience.

Heck last spring in the postal match we only had 3 shooters qualify by putting 5 shots into a 8.5x11 piece of paper off hand. Under range conditions I might add.

Put some adreniline, and other factors into the mix, and 100yd offhand pokes are probably the worst single option for a great majority of the hunters out there.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-19-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Heck last spring in the postal match we only had 3 shooters qualify by putting 5 shots into a 8.5x11 piece of paper off hand. Under range conditions I might add.
After reading his posts,Method could have easily qualified.
Since a 3" target is so easy for him,he probably could have even won the match.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:15 PM
Banned

I dont concider myself a great shot but I can often get 10 out of 10 shots into a standard size page looseleaf offhand at 100 yards. I still would not try a head shot offhand at 100 yards. IMO a texas heart shot is a higher percentage shot than a head shot, it may not always be a clean kill but you have a wider margine for error and stand a good chance of severely cripling your animal so that it will not go very far if even if youre shot is a little off. I would never try it on a moose or elk though. Not that I think texas heart shots are the way to go, just think its funny how so many hunters think a texas heart shot is irrisponsible but feel that head and neck shots are OK.

Last edited by Cal; 09-19-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:18 PM

I've killed 9 deer in 9 shots with head/neck shots. Why? Well, besides circumstances, I knew my gun and knew my limitations. All shots were taken in heavy bush at well under 100 yards (probably a 50 yard average), shot either from a prone position or rested against a tree. I would never, ever attempt a head shot offhand with a racing heart.

However, under the right conditions it is a fine shot to make. Know your gun, know yourself and shoot to your limitations and where you put the hole in the animal doesn't really matter.

Tree
Old 09-19-2009, 06:25 PM

I bet less than 5% of hunters can hit a 3" circle offhand ! ! ! I bet less than 2% can hit a 3" circle offhand at 100 yards.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Banned

100 yrd shot to the head easy ??? no I wouldn't say it was easy but if you are good with your gun hell yah let er rip.. You know what you shot you missed no biggy gather up your stuff and get at er again..

As far as a 30 -30 being big enough,, sure if you are in decent range and 100 yrds is decent range again let er rip..

The biggest mistake you made was coming on here and asking everyone's opinion.. Hell boy we got guys on here that don't even like to kill Mommy deer cuase it breaks their heart you are asking these guys if what you did was O.k. Hell yah it was O.K you were out there doing it and learning,, power to yah..
Old 09-20-2009, 10:02 AM

I respect all opinions posted here, but they are each our own opinions and I don't expect to change yours.

To each his own.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:28 AM

Head and neck shot, yes it can drop an animal in a hurry. Like other posters suggested you can grossly wound an animal as well. People have ruined there trophies shooting off antlers or splitting the skull plate, I have done the latter on my first 5x5 whitetail. If you ever drop an animal with a head shot and the eye balls are flickering when you walk up to it quickly shoot it again you more than likely caught the base of the horn and knocked it out. Dad's hunting buddy shot a bull elk like that and when he grabbed the antlers it flipped him arse over tea kettle. I'll take the heart and lung shot every time if I can.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:36 AM
gitrdun

Although I practise off-hand shooting quite often now, with a variety of rifles; I don't feel comfortable enough to take a head shot off-hand. In fact, I always go for the boiler room no matter what. I don't hunt with a 30-30 either as there are much better choices to be had.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
I respect all opinions posted here, but they are each our own opinions and I don't expect to change yours.

To each his own.
Of course,yet you have avoided all of my questions as to just how confident you would be consistently hitting a 3" target off hand at 100 yards if your money was on the line.
That does confirm to me that you really aren't as confident in your abilities as you would have us believe with your posts.It's easy to make claims about your great offhand shooting ability,but it's not nearly so easy to back up those claims.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:35 AM

knowing where the brain is located is important as well. A 3" circle inside an elk's skull is a relatively small target. If you hit an elk between the eyes or lower it would likely run off.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
I've killed 9 deer in 9 shots with head/neck shots. Why? Well, besides circumstances, I knew my gun and knew my limitations. All shots were taken in heavy bush at well under 100 yards (probably a 50 yard average), shot either from a prone position or rested against a tree. I would never, ever attempt a head shot offhand with a racing heart.

However, under the right conditions it is a fine shot to make. Know your gun, know yourself and shoot to your limitations and where you put the hole in the animal doesn't really matter.

Tree
Couldn't have said it any better.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:37 AM

Let your skill and ability dictate the shots you take or pass..

If you believe you have a high percentage shot for your ability, take it. If you're not comfortable, wait for the shot...

30/30 is plenty for Elk, just do you're part. At 100 yrds head on,...with my 30/30 I would have went for the triangle between the collar bones and lower neck, depnding on angle etc. I would have been more likely to wait. If he's facing you at 100, he either has to walk straight to you, or turn around and expose his broad.

Head shots are lights out, right now. I have no issue with taking them with the right rifle and right situation.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:03 PM

after reading through this thread, sounds like you better get a bunch more targets ready to mail out for the postal match next year dick, should make for a good pot!!
i like neck/head shots, from a rest, 100 yds or less, bedded animal.
lee.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:15 PM

and I know for a fact you can hit 3 inch target from a hundred yards with a 30-30 , saw you do it with my buddy's old winchester . reffering to Duceman here
Old 09-21-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
I'd say it's more like 20% of everyday hunters can hit a 3" circle at 100yds.... At the rifle rodeo 50% of guys can't hit a 9" by 11" sheet of white paper offhand standing unsupported at 100yds. I shoot 3000 or more rounds of centerfire a year at the range in practice. I'd be lucky to hit a 3" circle while shooting unsupported standing 2 shots out of 5, chances are I might not hit it at all with 5 shots. Next time I might get lucky and hit it all five. I actually practice those shots frequently enough to know that I can't reliably count on myself to guarantee that if nothing else went wrong that I'd hit that brain or spinal column every time. I'd never try an offhand unsupported brain shot on an animal at 100 yds. But thats just me, I'd beat myself up too much if I took a shot I knew I shouldn't have.

Secret is only take shots you know you can make, find a rest, get closer, whatever, even then things can go and do go wrong and cause a miss. If your taking a shot at an animal and just hoping you will hit it, shooting just because it might get away or its the only buck you've seen and it's the last day of the season and you think to yourself....... what can I lose I may as well take a shot, might get lucky and hit it, then you shouldn't be shooting.

Thanks for saving me a bunch of typing. I hit the range alot as well, and would never attempt a 100 yd offhand head shot; or a head shot period for that matter. If I don't get a shot at the vitals I don't shoot. I'd rather end the season with a pocket full of tags than choose to take a low percentage shot and not be able to recover a wounded animal.