Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-21-2009, 08:41 AM
Banned

Smile Sako gets a Ewe

2nd try for my ewe was the winner. 310 yrds. Solo mission. 1st big game blood for the sako, it got first blood on a coyote earlier in sept.

Was way above treeline and finished glassing a couple hours at one spot and moving to another when picked them up way below me in an opening in the trees, fluke timing to catch them going through. Took an hour to traverse over and then come down on what i thought would be on top of them but they were not there. Climbed a bit to better vantage and just glassed in direction they were headed hoping to catch them on next finger over in the trees and about 15 min of glassing they showed up over there at 310 yrds. Watched and waited for the one i wanted in a tiny opening and shot was good. Lost in trees right away, gave time and watched lots, then when the rest moved off a bit i thought it was probably time to go have a look, took some landmarks and walked right up to her. Deboned her, filled the eberlestock up and headed out. Long day but can't wait to do it again.

Time to look for that first ram. I thought i was hooked on this sheep hunting thing before....its much worse now!

And here's the young 100-ish yrd coyote the sako took earlier in sept.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 AM

Looks like some fantastic eating, great job.

By the way, i'll be hunting a ewe in the next year or two for the first time. How much meat did you pack out? I'd just like to know so I can plan on which pack to take.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Way to go Stinky!! Should be a tasty treat!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 AM

Congrats Stinky!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 AM
sheephunter

Good job!
Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 AM
Banned

Well done stinky,, enjoy the memories and the eats.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:51 AM

Nice job!
Old 09-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Banned

Thanks guys, loving life right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagegundog View Post
Looks like some fantastic eating, great job.

By the way, i'll be hunting a ewe in the next year or two for the first time. How much meat did you pack out? I'd just like to know so I can plan on which pack to take.
I packed it ALL out, not sure what it weighed though...plenty. I worked really hard past couple seasons getting weight down with gear and coming back from day hunts and going through pack and keep pulling stuff out that i didn't think i'd ever use on day hunt, so feel like i'm running pretty lean and mean. Rifle is super light for its capability and i have my total optics (rangefinder/binos/tripod/spotting scope) to under 5 lbs for example.

The center large compartment of the eberlestock took all of her and the head on top and was able to get pretty good compression with the two horizontal straps and one vertical strap from the top pocket down, not the best weight packer with j104 but run and gun day hunts its 1.8 lb lighter than j107 so felt a little funny coming out but it did fine for me...i'm no packing pro so take for what its worth. Looking at pics of rams i would think the pack would be stuffed and head would have to go on outside of pack. I look forward to the challenge of coming out with a whole one of those! Will see how tough i am then.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-21-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:13 AM
sheephunter

LOL...you'd need to be plenty tough to pack an entire ram. Count on about twice the weight.

Those ewes are some good eating...you'll definitely enjoy some fine meals this winter. What bullet did you end up settling on for the A7? I came close to driving an Accubond into a big bull elk on Saturday morning but decided to see if something bigger might show up. I need to get blood on my A7!
Old 09-21-2009, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
LOL...you'd need to be plenty tough to pack an entire ram. Count on about twice the weight.

Those ewes are some good eating...you'll definitely enjoy some fine meals this winter. What bullet did you end up settling on for the A7? I came close to driving an Accubond into a big bull elk on Saturday morning but decided to see if something bigger might show up. I need to get blood on my A7!
Lol, no doubt on the weight, twice the weight would have been my guess also!...ouch. I'm going to need stronger hiking poles than my leki's forsure...i bent one running down the mountain trying to catch up to them but they did fine coming out, lots of flexing.

I'd be pretty slow coming out with twice the weight forsure...if i could even do it?.....i'd probably at least try so i'd know forsure but maybe i'll have a partner on my ram?......i had a couple misteps with the ewe where i thought i pulled a little something in right quad and the other i thought i hurt my left knee a little....anyhow, keeps you paying attention when you have that happen and in the end both knee and quad are just fine....just warning signs to keep me on my toes. Maybe i'll get lucky and take out the shoulders on my ram and have a little less to pack? A crazy carpet of some sort could come in handy on the down hills instead of on your back.

Little spotter is tough, kicked it over on the tripod and did a little tumble down the rocks but it survived okay, a good dint in the rim of butler creek flip saved the front housing and it still opens/closes fine. The stuff that happens in heat of moment i guess, never seem to have any rodeo when i can't find anything to chase though.

And yes, the accu-bond did the trick, impressive damage, rangefinder must of hit a closer tree, said 294 yrds so i held dead on, hit a bit low as they were really 310 once i ranged the opening after the shot to confirm, but damage and exit etc. on the other side of her was awesome, a tough bullet that pokes holes would have given me some grief i bet. I was shocked to actually spot a football size spot of shiny red paint in the little opening with the spotting scope afterwords and felt pretty confident she wouldn't be far...and she wasn't...i'm an accu-bond fan! I knew with my 262 yrd zero i could hold point blank to a little over 300 anyhow and with the added elevation i was still good with out any dial up.

Hope you and Frans and the other boys with the A7's connect also. God i can't wait to get out there again. Will try a few day trips in october and see if i can get lucky again this season.

Any solo ram hunters that know how to find rams want to see someone bust cherry on first ram just give me a shout and take me along, you take first pick, i just want the first ram monkey off my back before i get serious about size, i could care less how big first one is and would be delighted to play second fiddle if lucky enough to tag along with someone with ram experience...day trips from calgary only though, thats all i can come up with for time.

Just thought i'd throw that out there.

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-21-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:32 AM

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danni
Old 09-21-2009, 03:26 PM

Well done! My A7 got dragged around through the deadfall a lot, and soaked by rain a lot, and I even loaded it up once because the country looked so sheep-ish. But no shots at game just yet. BTW, I'm using the Federal Power-Shok, because they shoot really well out of this gun. Tried Federal Premium with Nosler Partitions and the results were A LOT less hot. So I went back to the Power Shoks until I have time to try out some handloads. Which may not be till after hunting season. Those deer in 160 won't know the difference, I don't think.

Frans
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 PM

You used your SAKO ?What gives ?Nice work all together .
Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianWiley View Post
You used your SAKO ?What gives ?Nice work all together .
lol, due to its weight its my "backpack" rifle, and thanks
Old 09-21-2009, 08:22 PM

Congrats. I hope to get my first ewe this fall as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:42 PM

Congrats Stinky! With the amount of time and effort that you have put into this whole sheep adventure it's only a matter of time before you're posting pics of a monster on here!

Tree
Old 09-21-2009, 08:44 PM

Congrats on your ewe!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 09-21-2009, 08:56 PM

I hate you Stinky,

no seriously congrats on a good hunt

Frans and I had a bit of adventures but found no Ram. Good times were had by all, including the sheep which are still up there laughing.
I'm hoping for one more multi-day mountain hunt.

When I left for home Sunday morning though there was snow visible below treeline including some of the places where Frans and I had camped two days earlier. Hopefully it's not too stay yet.

Nice shooting btw
Old 09-21-2009, 08:57 PM
Banned

as mentioned to me, maybe wise to point out....coyote shot on uncles place...not crown, i could maybe see the potential for confusion but just posting pics of first two kills on the sako...no missing so far
Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by altaberg View Post
I hate you Stinky,
lol, this is unusual....its usually me hating all the guys who get the rams

and will probably still be me hating them if this season goes like my last two...will see, i feel so much more focused now.....hope that means good things to come and i can stop all the hating

oh, and omg, backstraps tonight....hellooooo, so stuffed right now, awesome, like a 2 yr old doe, so mild

i wonder how old my little ewe is, all the little ribs look the same, skull already prepped for some boiling soon but didn't really try to read the horns to tell, my gut just said she was 2-3 yrs but she's broomed on one side (sounds so wrong lol) so i dunno?, will have to give a more serious look, but she eats like a really good doe

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 09-21-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 PM

Cewel!

-Billy Molls
Old 09-22-2009, 07:22 AM

Congrats.......Marco