Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-17-2023, 10:18 PM

Default Looking for a pistol

As the holder of an Authorization to Carry, I'm (theoretically) exempt from the handgun transfer ban. I'm looking to pick up a striker fired pistol. I'd prefer a Glock 17 but I'm pretty open. Anyone interested?
Old 03-17-2023, 10:26 PM

So if you held a ATC why wouldn’t you have purchased it prior to the handgun freeze
Old 03-17-2023, 10:33 PM

Are you looking for a cash sale?

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2023, 11:50 PM

First post, but a member for ten years, and looking to have someone illegally sell you a handgun? Care to explain how your ATC makes you exempt from the OIC banning transfers and sales?

Consider your answer carefully.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-17-2023, 11:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
First post, but a member for ten years, and looking to have someone illegally sell you a handgun? Care to explain how your ATC makes you exempt from the OIC banning transfers and sales?

Likely getting info from here:
https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/c...ms/c21-en.aspx

National "freeze" on handguns
A national freeze on the sale, purchase or transfer of handguns by individuals within Canada, and bringing newly-acquired handguns into Canada came into force by regulations on October 21, 2022.

Individuals can continue to possess and use their registered handguns and can sell or transfer their registered handguns to exempted individuals or businesses. Requests submitted by individuals before October 21, 2022 to transfer a handgun within Canada will continue to be processed.

Businesses:
Authorized businesses with proper storage (i.e., retailers) can continue to import and sell handguns to other businesses (e.g., gunsmiths, museums, valuable goods carriers, retailers, movie and theatrical industry), law enforcement, defence personnel and exempted individuals.
Exemptions:
Anyone who holds an Authorization to Carry handguns; and,
Individuals who train, compete or coach in a handgun shooting discipline that is on the programme of the International Olympic Committee or the International Paralympic Committee.

The national freeze on handguns came into force, via regulatory amendments to the Firearms Act, upon approval by the Governor General and registration on October 21, 2022. The regulations have been in force since then. Link to the Order in Council: https://orders-in-council.canada.ca/...=42706&lang=en

The text of the Regulations was published in the Canada Gazette, Part II on November 9, 2022.
Old 03-18-2023, 10:16 AM

Well, I'll be damned.....thanks for the info PR. Here I thought it was...something else.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-18-2023, 10:27 AM

Tullfan has a 9 mm for sale.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:25 PM

Default Got it too late

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
So if you held a ATC why wouldn’t you have purchased it prior to the handgun freeze
I just started in November shortly after the freeze went into effect. If I'd known I was getting the job, I absolutely would have picked one up when I could have.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Bacon View Post
Are you looking for a cash sale?

Sure. Not sure what the alternative is. Just so it's clear, I'd want everything 100% above board. I've seen other people talking about "loaning" pistols to people who "give a gift of cash." I'm not open to that, but I'd expect to pay the seller in cash, in full.
Old 03-18-2023, 01:31 PM

Default Nope!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post

100% nope. Everything must be completely above board and legal. I have too much to lose from breaking (or even bending) rules. If you check out the Public Safety website (https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/c...ms/c21-en.aspx), people with an Authorization to Carry are exempt from the ban.
Old 03-18-2023, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Tullfan has a 9 mm for sale.
Mine is a 1911, not striker fire. Besides, it’s too pretty to be abused. Lol. I’ll keep it safe for a while longer.

Tullfan
Old 03-19-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonovanHoggan View Post
100% nope. Everything must be completely above board and legal. I have too much to lose from breaking (or even bending) rules. If you check out the Public Safety website (https://www.publicsafety.gc.ca/cnt/c...ms/c21-en.aspx), people with an Authorization to Carry are exempt from the ban.
By Authorization to Carry are you referring to an authorization for wilderness carry or are you one of the few that have a concealed carry permit?
When I read Authorization to Carry that is the way in which I would interpret it. My RPAL only allows me to transport my handgun from home to the range and back - not a "carry" permit at all.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:30 AM

I work for an armoured car company. I carry in uniform at work.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
There you go, a vital piece of information. As to how you could purchase another handgun I can not help. That I know of transfers have been stopped. As in I can not now apply to transfer a handgun, those that are in the system from before the cut off date will go thru - eventually. Interesting point though. How do the armored guards get their licence, training and weapons now?
Old 03-19-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
There you go, a vital piece of information. As to how you could purchase another handgun I can not help. That I know of transfers have been stopped. As in I can not now apply to transfer a handgun, those that are in the system from before the cut off date will go thru - eventually. Interesting point though. How do the armored guards get their licence, training and weapons now?
They will be armed with a weighted tennis balls…
Old 03-19-2023, 12:08 PM

The way they worded it I believe the freeze also applies to transferring a pistol out of your name? Could be wrong there, that’s just the impression I got. That could mean that even though you can technically acquire one nobody can transfer one to you. Once again I could be wrong there.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:15 PM

I’m surprised his employer doesn’t supply the gun.
Old 03-19-2023, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Good point
Old 03-19-2023, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Probably doesn't want a Glock.
Old 03-19-2023, 01:38 PM

Nice try Fed
Old 03-19-2023, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Doesn't your employer provide the firearm? I am not aware of any company that doesn't provide an issued weapon and allows employees to purchase their own. What company is it?
Old 03-19-2023, 03:05 PM

Have you ever saw a thread that for the lack of a better term “failed the sniff test”

I could be wrong but more often than not my nose knows……….

There are no absolutes
Old 03-19-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
As the holder of an Authorization to Carry, I'm (theoretically) exempt from the handgun transfer ban. I'm looking to pick up a striker fired pistol. I'd prefer a Glock 17 but I'm pretty open. Anyone interested?
Did you not specify your handgun on your ATC? I had to provide the serial number(s) on my applications.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:53 PM

If you want to purchase a handgun quickly I would suggest you find your local gang banger, drug dealer criminal, you know the type. They should be able to service your needs or point you in the right direction if you have cash. They don't care about permits and legalities.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:26 PM

Default Clarification on ATC for Armed Guard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI 6.5 View Post
Doesn't your employer provide the firearm? I am not aware of any company that doesn't provide an issued weapon and allows employees to purchase their own. What company is it?
Hi all. Let me clarify some details. My company does provide my firearm, but I don't get to practice as often as I'd like, which is why I'd like to buy my own.

My Authorization to Carry, according to the Public Safety website, exempts me from the handgun ban. I may call CFC and find out that there are exceptions to the exemptions but I'd like to try. I don't want to put the time & effort in until there is a pistol available to buy.

As a uniformed driver of an armoured car, I carry in uniform but only at work. For a personal firearm, I have to meet the same permit-to-transport requirements that anyone else does.

The weighted tennis balls are only meant to serve as backups.

I was a Federal Agent at one point, but only because I made some side money going door to door for the Census! As for the sniff test, that's only because I ran out of deodorant.

Finally, gangs don't quite meet the standard I need to for work. I've said in a couple of posts that I am only interested in a deal that's 100% above board and legal.

Some fair questions there. Many thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction.
Old 03-19-2023, 06:40 PM

I'd say for purchasing a handgun the easiest route is probably the gangster or drug dealer mentioned above.

Do any of your coworkers spend any time at the range? I've often taken friends out to shoot my firearms. If you offered to cover your ammo they might be ok with taking you along.

Unless you share the same addictions that some of us do, it may not actually be worth buying anything.

Where are you located?

Old 03-19-2023, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Hi all. Let me clarify some details.

My company does provide my firearm, but I don't get to practice as often as I'd like, which is why I'd like to buy my own.
Therein lies your problem... You have a company issued firearm...

They (Turdeau & friends) don't want you "practicing" with your own.

I think you'll find your ATC is useless in this endeavor... But I could be wrong.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishOutOfWater View Post
Therein lies your problem... You have a company issued firearm...

They (Turdeau & friends) don't want you "practicing" with your own.

I think you'll find your ATC is useless in this endeavor... But I could be wrong.
I agree. Your ATC is for work. It doesn't apply for personally owned firearms to "practice" with.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:52 PM

I don't see what the problem is. If you're the seller you contact the CFC and see if you can sell it to this guy. They will know if he holds the necessary exemption. If they say yes............it's all good to go, initiate the transfer. If they say no then it's not good to go. Don't see why there is all this speculation and suspicion.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:00 PM

You would think that most any dealer still has stock of pistols, as I don't think they all were sold before the freeze, but I could be wrong.

Tags
handgun, pistol, sale