Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-16-2013, 09:12 PM

Default Ithica SKB 300

Got one of these recently, 12 ga, recoil semiauto, modified choke. Trying to find some, or any info on it, but its pretty limited. Any information about it would be greatly appreciated. I know it was produced in the late 60s to the early 70s, and then it was changed to a gas recoil. I guess the other thing I am looking at is it plausible to shoot steel from, or is it better to stay safe than be sorry to just keep lead in it? Again, any info would be greatly appreciated, as I just enjoy shooting this!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 PM

I don't know about the Ithaca SKB 300 but I had a SKB 500 which is an over/under. When we had to switch to steel shot I was told that I couldn't use steel shot in it so I sold it. I still regret selling it as it was a very nice shotgun.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:35 PM

Yea, that's what I am figuring is that steel can't be used in it. That said it doesn't scare me off that it can't, as its a nice shotgun to tinker around with. Thanks for the tip!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM

The SKB's are good guns and Ii would not be afraid of shooting steel out of a modified barrel in one .
Cat
Old 02-17-2013, 12:00 AM

Cat I'm sure your probably are right. On the SKB 500 that I had the top barrel was full choke and the bottom barrel modified. It was actually the old custom gun shop in Edmonton that told me the full choke barrel was to tight. At the time I sold it for $500. Really wished I would have kept it, it was great for ducks,geese and clays.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The SKB's are good guns and Ii would not be afraid of shooting steel out of a modified barrel in one .
Cat
Hey cat,

I was hoping that you would give your two thoughts on this thread! Thanks for the feedback. Think I will just dub you sensei.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
Cat I'm sure your probably are right. On the SKB 500 that I had the top barrel was full choke and the bottom barrel modified. It was actually the old custom gun shop in Edmonton that told me the full choke barrel was to tight. At the time I sold it for $500. Really wished I would have kept it, it was great for ducks,geese and clays.
Yup, I wouldn't shoot steel out of any full choked gun unless it was designated "Full /Steel"!!
I sure would have pounded the birds with Bismuth in that full choked barrel however!!
Those SKB's are fine guns , for sure....
Cat
Old 02-17-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post

Yea I was thinking to take it to a shop to verify. It shoots very well and enjoy it for clays. I got it at a price that was irresistible!