Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2020, 10:22 PM

Default Cv 19 tracking you?

Have you checked your iPhone or Android yet for the new Covid 19 tracking feature installed?

IOS check Settings, Privacy and Health. BOOM! (Don’t turn it on)
Old 08-16-2020, 10:52 PM

Why not?
Old 08-16-2020, 11:15 PM

Wow had no idea about that but just checked and sure enough there it is on my IPhone. Not sure why it surprises me since I know they have the tracking feature and you can see where you spend all your time I’d you don’t turn it off. Big brother is watching you....lol
Old 08-17-2020, 06:26 AM

I do not see it on my i phone. I wonder if you have to use wifi or bluetooth before they can load it.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:14 AM

Dont see it on my android yet.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-17-2020, 08:23 AM

Nothing here
Old 08-17-2020, 08:23 AM

The apps from both Apple and Android were introduced with recent OS updates. If you didn't update, it won't be on your phone. Most governments have not accessed the framework yet and it can be turned off. Everything else on our phones these days is tracking us. I don't know about Apple but if you go to your google location history, it will show you everywhere you've been since you've had the account unless you turn on autodelete.
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Have you checked your iPhone or Android yet for the new Covid 19 tracking feature installed?

IOS check Settings, Privacy and Health. BOOM! (Don’t turn it on)
I checked my Android phone and tablet. The tracker is available in Play Store but not installed on my phone. My tablet recently updated the OS but the tracker is not installed there either.

I don't know much about this but I have questions.

Can the government install apps on an Android phone or tablet?

It seems from the posts here that this can be done on an iPhone. What is the difference between iPhone and Android in this respect?

Thanks for the information.

Last edited by sk270; 08-17-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:33 AM

The APP doesn't track you it tracks people with covid, infected people are given a number to enter into the APP the APP alerts you when an infected person is near.
The APP is only active in Onterrible at this time.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The APP doesn't track you it tracks people with covid, infected people are given a number to enter into the APP the APP alerts you when an infected person is near.
The APP is only active in Onterrible at this time.
I realize this. However, I'm wondering how (and why) the government can install a tracker on an iPhone but not an Android.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:06 AM

Wink That's cute

Seriously? People are getting wound up about a new tracking App? Guess they didn't use the right words to sell it to us this time.

FTR- No sign of it on my iPhone, yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fingerprint scanners.jpg (75.5 KB, 46 views)
File Type: png fingerprint scanners 2.png (295.4 KB, 43 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 08-17-2020, 10:06 AM

Checked my iphone and it was there, it says "COVID-19 Exposure Logging"(mine was off). Did the latest update recently, must have installed then...?
Thanks for the heads up OP.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk270 View Post
I realize this. However, I'm wondering how (and why) the government can install a tracker on an iPhone but not an Android.
They didn't.

What is installed was an operating system feature that enables a COVD tracing application's function. The framework is a joint project between Apple and Google with some significant privacy features as part of it. Much like common applications such as Tile tracker tags what it does is share a randomly generated ID with other devices around you using bluetooth and it keeps track of what IDs have been in proximity to you over the last 14 days. If one of those IDs should be flagged as being a confirmed case it will added to an online database. The App will check the list of IDs that have been logged by your phone against that database regularly and will notify you if one is flagged. You NEED a covid tracing app to be installed to take advantage of this, it does nothing by itself.

On iOS all of this is explained in detail on the settings page, Austin "forgot" to mention that. There's a screenshot of it here.

https://www.wired.com/story/covid-19...-apple-google/

As for why it's not on your device yet, unless you are running a vanilla version of Android right from google on your stuff I'd expect it to take a while before you see this feature. Google releases the code, then your device manufacturer has to integrate those changes with their customized version of Android, then in some cases they have to send that to the carrier who integrates their own changes and releases it. So Android v10.1 on Samsung can be quite different than version 10.1 on HTC but you might also see differences in Samsung v10.1 on Telus vs Rogers too. I think they have started to pull back on the carrier stuff but I haven't been hands on with it for a while so IDK how far they've gotten with stamping that BS down. The release times for Android security updates is pretty brutal because of this.

When I worked for a company that made mobile apps when had a hell of a time with testing. The QA people needed four Apple devices because they never allowed those shenanigans but hundreds of Android based ones as by the time each manufacturer mucked around with the OS there were enough differences that you had to test on each possible permutation.
Old 08-17-2020, 01:16 PM

I’ve opted for the optional ankle bracelet.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-17-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’ve opted for the optional ankle bracelet.
Smart choice! Much less painful than the barcode tattoo on the forehead....
Old 08-17-2020, 02:01 PM

They can use my phone to track me as long as they start picking up the bill.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:26 PM

Default App not downloaded? People mistaken?

https://fullfact.org/health/covid-19...eoples-phones/
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-17-2020, 02:37 PM

Whatever midgetwaiter said. It's not tracking by default. It's a framework to support the actual tracking app you need to install yourself, if you choose to do so.

This is old news, this feature had been around for at least a month. And panicked posts like OP's have been around just as long. And debunking posts explaining what going on as well.
Old 08-17-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetwaiter View Post
They didn't.

What is installed was an operating system feature that enables a COVD tracing application's function.
Thanks, midgetwaiter. That makes more sense. In other words, there is no difference in the government's ability to access Android and iPhones. I saw that feature on my Android tablet, but not my phone, which Samsung is no longer updating.