Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2020, 07:25 AM

Default Powersports Inventory

I went to pick up some new glides for my trailer , and when I walked into the dealership, instead of the showroom being full of atvs and motorcycles, there were two SxS machines and no motorcycles. I asked the dealer why he had no inventory, and he told me that May set sales records , with June not far behind, and with covid effecting production, they can't get inventory from the manufacturers. He did tell me that snowmobile production was actually on schedule, and they had already received a few snowmobiles. I drove by another dealer, and they had two SxS machines and one street bike. I can only wonder how many atvs and motorcycles were paid for with CERB money, and how many the banks will be seizing when people have to pay their taxes next spring?
Old 08-16-2020, 07:40 AM

Im sure a lot, I'm looking at a sxs but going to wait until next summer.

The spending effects of covid in all honesty could be around next year. Canada is doing good but people still may not be flying or travelling so.... who knows...

The states is blowing up worst than ever, by the time its taken us to get this under control. March to August is 5 months. The States are going to be at a minimun.... another 8 months probably... which will being us right back to the spring. 12 months.

I doubt there will be winter florida trips, California, arizona, cruises etc.

My co worker picked up a grizzly 450 for like $25.00 a week. 0 down. Probably about 5-6% interest?

Toys, boats, pools, landscaping, decks and fences, cottage sales and rentals have all seen a huge increase this year were people divert vacation money to other things

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2020, 07:42 AM

I think if you look you’ll notice similar effects at the vehicle dealerships.

Manufacturers shut down due to COVID, that cut the available inventory across the board, but for being in a horrible economic situation big ticket items are still selling.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:14 AM

Try to find a fishing kayak same deal sold out
Old 08-16-2020, 08:17 AM

Closest atv shop to me is in the same boat, little to no stock left.

I was trying to find a set of atv tires a couple weeks ago and it took a while to find a complete set in the size I wanted. The major online retailers are sold out of a lot of stuff. Initially really wanted a set of mudbugs but good luck finding those anywhere.

Not sure where all the money is coming from, most folks I know that are still working are being a bit more conservative trying to save, or even considering selling toys as the market seems pretty hot for sellers right now.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:23 AM

Not sure where all the money is coming from, most folks I know that are still working are being a bit more conservative trying to save, or even considering selling toys as the market seems pretty hot for sellers right now.

People are getting desperate for some recreation, after being cooped up at home for months. Economics don't count. RVs are in high demand as well.

Grizz
Old 08-16-2020, 08:48 AM

It's not about a run on power toys. Production lines were shut down remember. Gonna take a little while for them to restock showrooms.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
It's not about a run on power toys. Production lines were shut down remember. Gonna take a little while for them to restock showrooms.
Sales set new records in May, and were almost as strong in June. So it's a combination of selling more with no new stock available. My dealer had mixed feelings, on one hand he pretty much sold a years worth of merchandise, but he could have sold more if it was available. The negative for the consumer, is that besides almost no selection of merchandise, with no surplus inventory, there won't be any big rebates.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-16-2020 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

People are getting desperate for some recreation, after being cooped up at home for months. Economics don't count. RVs are in high demand as well.

Grizz
Yes a ton of rv's going down the road these days, many more than usual. I have been motorhoming now for 4 years for the months of August and September
And have never seen this many on the road, all kinds of different camper styles being used. The highway to southern Alberta is full of these...where does all the money come from with so many still not working...I need that info, I could use some of that cash to get me into a bigger A class home on wheels!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 08-16-2020, 09:34 AM

Bicycles got hit hard as well. Hard to believe people are spending like crazy.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-16-2020, 09:56 AM

Record sales run FAR deeper then just powersports. Lumber yards have had record breaking sales. As well as many gun counters. My job has shown record or near record numbers for 4 months now.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:17 AM

I had to go on CERB, not by choice. It took me 3 months to find a job. I cant imagine anyone buying an atv or luxury item while fighting to pay bills. Ive been working steady for two months and Im still not caught up.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:38 AM
Banned

Lol all that free money being spent well. Should be some good deals on use stuff in the future.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:55 AM

Quote:
X 1000 - that sounds more plausible to me - and mirrors our own business conditions with our global supply chain we as a company are facing.

Manufacturing globally, particularly in Asia where >75% of the global component manufacturing for the worlds goods occur was shut down for months.

And, subsequent, and downstream in the supply chain, capacity in many downstream assembly plants has decreased.

I seriously doubt with all the uncertainty and record unemployment that people are out there spending money on toys - but who knows .... I can't think of too many companies reporting record sales - but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:56 AM

There for sure has been a run on powersport and rv inventory. 6 months ago there were plenty of carryover units around with some up to 3 years old and now the lots are empty. There were deals to be had early on and I was fortunate to liquidate and update a couple units myself as demand for used was very high and I bought carryovers early on.

I think it was good for the dealers to start fresh but I think it is going to be a struggle to know what to order for next year. If they order based on this years demand they might be back to a showroom full of unsold inventory. Maybe there is more money out there than we know looking for a home.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
X 1000 - that sounds more plausible to me - and mirrors our own business conditions with our global supply chain we as a company are facing.

Manufacturing globally, particularly in Asia where >75% of the global component manufacturing for the worlds goods occur was shut down for months.

And, subsequent, and downstream in the supply chain, capacity in many downstream assembly plants has decreased.

I seriously doubt with all the uncertainty and record unemployment that people are out there spending money on toys - but who knows .... I can't think of too many companies reporting record sales - but maybe I'm wrong.
You are wrong

https://www.lendcare.ca/fr/blogue/po...rough-pandemic

https://www.kcra.com/article/califor...irus/32837227#
Old 08-16-2020, 12:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
This is the problem right across the board. I’m not sure how much money guys are making off of cerb but it must be a crap load! Try to buy a $95k diesel truck right now, you can’t find one and if you do you had better jump on it immediately!!!

I’d love to be making $16k a month off cerb
Old 08-16-2020, 12:21 PM

Because 2000 a month in cerb money pays the mortgage, bills, food and buys shiny toys.........
Old 08-16-2020, 12:27 PM

Cerb is 2000 a month an, some kids at home probably pocketing the 2k and spending on toys or they are the working population that are still employed spending that can not travel.

Replace the 5-10k for family holidays with other stuff you can enjoy.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
Cerb is 2000 a month an, some kids at home probably pocketing the 2k and spending on toys or they are the working population that are still employed spending that can not travel.

Replace the 5-10k for family holidays with other stuff you can enjoy.

That’s the other point I was going to bring up, RV sales, boats, just go to the lakes and see how many people are out there.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:32 PM

That's crazy ....... certainly makes no sense - but it won't be the last time I'm wrong.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:39 PM

Less to do with CERB i think, everyone can get a mortgage differal. Even if your working fulltime. So people have extra cash they normally wouldnt. Its alot of things.... someone mentioned lumber, tough to find as im building a fence. They had 5 fence boards left at lowes and said when they do get more it will be 40% more.
Old 08-16-2020, 12:43 PM

Dealer friends have said all spring and summer that hunting fishing and all power toys have been grabbed like no other year. Recreational sales are up across the board, everywhere.
Its not just to do with inability to get product.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-16-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
That's crazy ....... certainly makes no sense - but it won't be the last time I'm wrong.
It really does not make sense that I agree. Been trying to buy a used small canoe or boat for duck hunting For a while and most are sold within 24hrs. Wife and even decided to look for fishing kayaks and most places are sold out of what we want

I thought I might find some good deals do to Covid19 but instead it’s a competitive market
Old 08-16-2020, 12:57 PM

We wanted a bigger chest freezer, 3 month wait for delivery. Zero stock anywhere. If you have anything you want to sell, now is the time. I have sold quite a few things the last couple of months and most are gone within hours of being put up for sale. Seems to be lots of people trying to fill free time. I know many of my friends say they are still making full time wages working from home but their costs have dropped a remarkable amount. Not spending 25K to go to Disney buys a lot of toys, as does no daycare a 2K per kid, way less vehicle expense, no need for new clothes and the list goes on. I have a couple of friends that are debating having one of them stay home permanently now that they see how little net they make after paying Daycare and the extra costs of both working.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Lots of people don’t have to buy toilet paper for a few years. My as well buy a sxs.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Dealer friends have said all spring and summer that hunting fishing and all power toys have been grabbed like no other year. Recreational sales are up across the board, everywhere.
Its not just to do with inability to get product.
Sask is the exact same, I thought everyone was supposed to be broke with no jobs.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:16 PM

You should feel privileged that you have a job people!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2020, 01:17 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2020, 01:21 PM

All that free CERB money supplied by Trudeau - now extended for another two months. About time that Trudeau and Morneau are not on the same page as the money trees have pretty much died off.