Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2008, 02:13 PM

Default new to calgary as well!!!

Hi fellow fisherman...My situation is the same a NSDAVES.New to the area and just want to fish,I realize that the Bow river is world renowned just wanted to know possible if there were spots to fish this time of year compared to others.I am from the Great Lakes and am A centerpin guy,if there is anyone who shares the love of the center pin and would like to help a buddy out it would be much appriciated,thanks
Old 05-19-2008, 04:43 PM

A good magazine to pick up would be the 2008 copy of Barry Mitchell's Alberta Fishing Guide. You can likely find it at Canadian Tire, Wholesale Sports etc.. They'll have the latest fishing regs there as well.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:37 PM

If you can't make it to Canadian Tire or Wholesale, I've seen the guide at convenience stores, too. Welcome to Calgary!! I'm horrible at river fishing but I can tell you where I've seen people fishing the Bow, lol.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:45 PM

Pick a bridge, and fish it. Fish creek (22x/"marquee de lorne" -Bow river bridge), or if you drive east on Southland Dr, over the Deerfoot bridge you'll turn right and just afterwards there is a large parking lot on the left. Its a Dog-run/off-leash area. Park there and walk past the bathrooms and towards the footbridge. Turn left at the bridge, and cross a couple small channels and fish the seam (where the fast water meets the slow water) just after the bend in the river.

Both places are well known areas, so dont expect to be alone everytime. There is "Policemans flats" that just south east of the city, and a great spot on the Bow. McInnons flats is another spot close to the city.

Remember there is a bait ban on the Bow, from the city weir to Bassano. Fish creek, to the 22X - Bow bridge is where most the city fly fishmen fish. They mostly drive through "Chaparelle" 194th ave S.E (last set of lights on Macleod tr south). Drive past the houses and park at the entrance of the gravel pit, and walk till you hit the river, and go left or right.

The mountian lakes and rivers will be opening soon. Or you can head down to the Bullshead and meet the famous Bull trout if your lucky.

Check out 'http://flyfishcalgary.com/' they have a forum and lots of info.