Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 02:24 AM
Banned

Default Ice fishing

Ok, I need a good lake around Calgary. Something we can drive the trailer out on, do some ice fishing, drag the kids on a sled .. You know the whole package deal.. Even sleep out on the ice..
Any suggestions.. And who wants to come?
How late in the year should we wait?

Jamie
Old 12-08-2007, 04:45 AM

I posted this elsewhere. This is a general Guide as "No Ice is Guaranteed" My toughts would be to park Trailer on solid ground as base camp. Take your Sled or Quad from there.

This table of ice strength is presented for the benefit of ice anglers and other winter sports people. The figures are for clear, blue ice on lakes and ponds. Reduce strength values 15% for clear blue, river ice. Slush or snow (white) ice is only one-half the strength of blue ice and can be very treacherous. "Honeycombed" ice, which occurs in the spring or during major winter thaws as the ice is melting, is the most dangerous ice, and best avoided unless the angler is certain there is a safe layer of solid ice beneath the honeycombed surface. Anglers should also be aware that many lakes and ponds contain spring holes and other areas of current that may create deceptively dangerous thin spots in areas that are otherwise safe. Always use caution, and don't venture out onto unfamiliar waters without checking ice thickness frequently.
Ice Thickness
(inches) Permissible Load
(clear, blue, lake ice)
2 One person on foot
3 Group, in single file
5 Group (6-8 people) together
7½ Passenger car (2 ton gross)
8 Light truck (2½ ton gross)
10 Medium truck (3½ ton gross)
12 Heavy truck (7 to 8 ton gross)
15 10 tons
20 25 tons
25 45 tons
30 70 tons

My recommendations if you are taking the Trailer and kids out for the weekend:
Trout: Chain Lakes (West of Nanton) Don't know for sure if you can drop Trailer on Campground

Perch: Pine Lake. Try Scotty's Resort on the South end of lake Phone (403)886-4837. It's open year round and has a store run by Earl and Doreen Jorgensen. Great people and they can help you with info where Perch and Pike are biting. In February, they host a Family day derby. Lots of Prizes for the young ones to win as well as Adults.
Old 12-08-2007, 05:21 AM

Heard way on the other side of Alberta for you ....Slave lake.....
They have Ice huts for rent on the ice ,I think they sleep 4 adults ,come with a stove ,large fridge ha ha! ,fishing holes ....etc

Last edited by -JR-; 12-08-2007 at 05:41 AM.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:09 PM
jrs

Are you willing to drive 2 hours? Beauvais Lake and Beaver Mines Lake are both good put and takes (with a few surprises in Beaver Mines in the form of bull trout). No hurry though, can usually ice fish those lakes till mid to late April. Getting through the ice becomes the only challenge.

Otherwise Keho, Twin Valley, or Travers can be fun, could camp out on the lake, lots of pike in all three, whitefish in Keho and Traverse. Of course good numbers of burbot, walleye, and perch in Travers as well, i haven't had luck through the ice for them though. If you need any further info on any of those pm me (specific sites), if you find something more suited to what you need that's great.
I can't wait to get out. Just need the lungs to clear up a bit, hunted too hard or something .
Old 12-08-2007, 12:14 PM

Default mcgregor

Jamie i got the perfect spot on mcgregor for you its always good fishin but need to leave kids kids on shore. I will have camera ready. LOL
If it was me tho i would head to crawlin valley after christmas should be lots of ice by then. Watch for the gas pockets.