Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-08-2007, 11:05 AM

Default How to stock a pond with trout??

I want to stock a couple acre pond that varies from 5-10' deep, we have been thinking about stocking it with some rainbows for a few years now but are not really sure where to get the trout from or how many of what size to get. Does anyone have any experiance doing this and have tips or contacts to get some fry? The pond is in northern Saskatchewan so not sure if I can get fry in AB and if they would hold up to the drive or if i need a local source. I did several google searches and came up with nothing.

Thanks

Jon
Old 12-08-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Heres some info

The alberta ag site has some good info
http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/sel...t2=Aquaculture

We have been getting our trout from lorne at Ackenberry trout farm

http://ackenberrytroutfarms.com/

On your pond if its only 10' deep you probly need to have an aration system. If its in Sask. then need to check with them to get permits and such.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:44 AM

That is a tall order of information that you are asking for. I would recommend taking a course that government sponsors. Lots of good information at these courses.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/div2912

Nothing scheduled for 2008. You can always use the "contact us" to find someone to talk with.

I do not believe that you can transport fish from province to province without a permit. Also, there should be local fish farms in Saskatchewan much closer to your pond. I doubt the fish would survive the trip from Alberta even if you were allowed.

The aquaculture industry is poorly documented on-line. I did find some information that Sask has over 100 fish farms.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the info, I tried a few other searches and came up with this link

http://www.environment.gov.sk.ca/adx...quaculture.pdf

that basically tells all except where to buy the fish in Sask but does have contact info to find out where, I will try this on Monday and see if I can get hold of anyone. I also spoke to a couple of the fish farms on the Ab web site and got some good advice on number/size of fish and aerating the pond. Looks like I should be able to get 150-200 fish of varying size for abour $300 or so. Start with that and see how it goes.
Old 12-08-2007, 04:15 PM

Canuck, good luck with your stocking. Having done it myself for a few years I can attest that it can be a lot of fun. If you like fishing a lot you will likely enjoy stocking. The pond I had would winterkill but I experimented with different feeds and feed rates. For example, when I fed them once a week with pellets they grew at a decent enough rate but were apt to catch on the fly. Another year I fed them every 2nd day and they all went from 7-8 inches to 14-16 fatties by the end of the season - harder to catch them though. Even stocked brookies a couple of the years and that was fun too! Hope to get back into it myself soon.

Cheers!
Old 12-08-2007, 06:38 PM

SNAP,

I think this one will winterkill too but we are going to try and aerate it so that should help. Be nice to go there and have my own private trout pond for flyfishing or for the kids to icefish on.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:32 AM

Talked to the guys at Sask Environment and they got me in contact with some fish farmers in sask. Ordered up 100 4" and 100 6" to start, will see how it goes.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Very cool! Glad to hear your found a farm. I'm sure you will enjoy it. The first two weeks are awesome as the fish become aware of the their surroundings. Most of the swim around the pond in the top two feet of water and hit everything. Good time to wet a line
You will lose a few to predators to this time. I suspect those 200 will keep you very busy fishing wise.

The aeration may actually work in your case. It is important to have sunlight with aeration. Otherwise your just stirring up an oxygen dead bottom. When I would drill a hole in the ice in the pond I had it would smell sulfuric...not good aerating that stuff. It may not stop the winterkill but evey if 10% or 20% survive, look out for the next year!

Cheers!