Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM

Default I am confused

Ok so I recently bought a bow that I am going to set up to use as an 3d bow and potentially back up hunting bow so I do want it to be multi purpose.

First of all I have no clue about 3d but have heard about "hunter class" and other classes. I have no clue what I would enter as or rules or anything.

In setting up this bow I will probably go with a QAD HDX but am open to any and all suggestions but feel this is good and multi purpose.

Second is a sight first I have no clue what most guys use but for 3d do guys use lenses? Clarifier peeps? I don't know. I currently have an axion gridlock 7 pin .19 on my hunting bow. It's ok but I probably won't buy another.
I would think a single pin would be ideal for the various ranges one would be shooting but a single pin while hunting worries me.
Also what about pin size? Do 3d archers sight pins in, in 5 yard increments?
Again open to all or any suggestions!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM

If you shoot a single movable sight then you are in MBO-open class (with or without a lens)

If you shoot a multipin sight that stays fixed for the entire shoot it is MBR -bow hunter release class

If you shoot a hunter class bow, no more than 4 pins, arrows have screw in points, stabizer under 12 inches....that is HUN - hunter class

.....there are more rules but this is a basic description.

My bow has a QAD rest, 5 pin Trophy Ridge Microalpha V5 in 10 yard increments 20-60, with 0.019 sized pins, and a 20 inch stab out front and a v-bar with 2x 10inch stabs out back.

I shoot MBR class.

LC
Old 04-21-2014, 05:19 PM

Check out the rule book at www.archrrycanada.ca. it lays everything out
Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM

Anyone shoot .10 pins ? For either hunting or target?
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 PM

What are the distances shot in MBR and HUN?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 PM

Tried reading the rules but for both MBR and HUN can you hunt with a four pin fixed sight that that floats like a MBG Accent? Provided you do not adjust your sight during the shoot?
Old 04-22-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
What are the distances shot in MBR and HUN?
MBR max 50 and HUN max 40 I believe.

LC
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 AM

I shoot .10 pins for outdoors and .19 pins for indoor. I just like the smaller pin in the sun it doesn't seem to glow super big like the .19 pin.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:43 PM

Opened the thread because of the title. Learned something I was wondering about, myself... Thanks all...
Have not really looked into 3D yet, but I know if I do, it will become an addictive hobby. Can't afford the time or money just yet.
Cheers
Old 04-23-2014, 01:15 AM

Nice Thread OP!

I too was curious about this and am looking at options since 3D is probably going to be my 'main focus' in terms of shooting my newest bow since I just don't hunt anymore..

I'm actually more confused now about what equipment I should 'Stay away from' so that I don't move myself into a class that I don't actually want to be in (if that's possible..) Having said that, I also have no clue 'Which Class' is more challenging or popular or perhaps the 'most fun'... I DO KNOW however, that I'm probably not going to be shooting MBO class so Lens' and such aren't going to be a 'priority' for me although I do like the option of getting a sight that allows lens' to be used if necessary (such as the AXCEL sights) for indoor FITA / League play.. Also, I kind of like the idea of having 5 -7 pins VS only 4 pins so that kind of messes things up as well, especially since I would like to shoot some 70-80 meter this spring/summer.
Very confusing indeed!!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:58 AM

So a few things I have figured out is I don't want to compete with 3 foot stabilizers I would rather stay practical with a bow I can hunt with. That said it doesn't mean I wouldn't compete in a bow hunter release class.

I have decided to go with a Montana Black Gold Ascent sight that thing is sweet!! While it is a fixed pin it is also has a dial to use the bottom pin as a floating pin.
My setup will be four pins so I can compete in a hunter class but could also stretch that out for target, hunting ect. You cannot adjust your dial/sight during comp in any hunter class. I have a feeling I might be grabbing a second for my hunting bow but would leave it five pin.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:04 AM

If you compete in MBR, then stab length is not regulated.

If you compete in HUN class max length is 12 inches, max distance is 40yrds....just need max 4 pins anyhow.

Not many compete in HUN class and many non-sanctioned shoots don't have that class.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 04-23-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you compete in MBR, then stab length is not regulated.

If you compete in HUN class max length is 12 inches, max distance is 40yrds....just need max 4 pins anyhow.

LC
Yeah I got that from your first post and when reading the rule book. I'm just saying I wouldn't add that to my bow but that doesn't mean I wouldn't compete against the long stabilizers in MBR.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 PM

The distances quoted for the classes are incorrect.

Currently they are:

Indoors: Hunter and MBR max 50 yards
Outdoors: Hunter Max 40 yards and MBR max 50 yards

At nationals last weekend they announced that a proposal has been put forth to get rid of the 40 yard max on the outdoor circuit after this year. Sounded like it will be the rule next year.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:04 PM

Not incorrect when speaking outdoors...but incomplete when speaking inside

LC
Old 04-23-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Yeah I got that from your first post and when reading the rule book. I'm just saying I wouldn't add that to my bow but that doesn't mean I wouldn't compete against the long stabilizers in MBR.
The thing with a stab is I used to think like you until I tried a long stab out. I found a long stab and v-bar that really helped me steady....if you can use a long stab you might as well

That being said at Nationals a guy in our group finished very well with a short "hunting style" stab....what ever works for you is the right thing to use.

LC