Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-06-2014, 02:05 AM
Banned

Default Shooting through blind mesh cover???

I set up a ground blind and have not shot through the mesh with my bow. I plan on practicing with my other blind but have not had the time yet, due to work. Does the mesh make much of a difference in the shot of your arrow, does it bother the flight? Should i even use the mesh cover? Please let me know so I have an idea. Thanks!
Old 08-06-2014, 06:53 AM

Don't use mechanicals through the mesh....IMHO best to take it off and shot through an un obstructed window.

LC
Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 AM

Incredibly I have never heard or seen one that has failed the shot thru the mesh with a fixed head...know of a "All-you-all" that was being guided up here and shot thru the mesh...with a magnum rifle...yup burnt it to the ground....lol true story!

We tested one on the outdoor range set up the blind and shot the crap out of one window with broadheads..[we were provided an extra mesh window]..interestly enough using field points was 50/50 shots were true...but broadheads came thru 100%

I know of a couple misses on deer after shooting thru the mesh...was the mesh the cause...most likely not...

If your arrows are flying true I dont see it an issue...if the arrow is badly fish tailing or porpoising it will most likely be an issue

Personally I hate the mesh windows, certain times of the day when sun is right I cant see thru them...I dont use them either...dress in black, keep movement to a mininum and keep your back blacked out, and it will be almost impossible to see you set up properly in shadows etc...

Hence the big blacked out bow craze in the last five years...
Neil
Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Banned

Thanks, I think I might just leave them down, I dont like looking through them and I'm set up well enough so nothing will see me if they are down. I'll take that note though do not shoot rifle through or blind will burn down.lol
Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 PM

All good advise above, deer can tend to spook at the horizontal rectanguler shape
of the opening if the blind was recently put up. So lately when leaving the net down
I semi brush in the front sides and center with cedar branches spaced about a foot
and a half apart.

Stick the cutoff end of the branch in the ground and lean the branch against
the blind, using one on each far side and one in the center should be enough
to break up the rect. shape of the opening. Branches should be about 5 to 6
feet long.

Cedar stays green for quite a while after being cut, for sure would be good for
2 to 3 weeks or more after cutting.

You need to view it from the seat on the inside to judge how much to prune
for a clear shot.

The idea is to break up the outline of the opening not hide the blind.

Just gave me an idea on where I can do this same thing using the Sneaky Leaf I bought years ago!
I've got string of Sneaky Leaf (plastic maple leaves on a vine) that's about
12' long. Should be just about long to go around the front window.
It attaches with tye wraps or safty pins etc. light weight waterproof and portable.

Never would have thought about this application if not for this post,
Thanks!

Last edited by Bonescreek; 08-06-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:02 AM
Banned

Got decent cover, i set my blind up beside a good watering hole for moose. Set it up right beside some brush and small shrubs, they cover in between the openings perfectly. But thanks for the tip. Cheers!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:19 PM

I would guess that shooting through the mesh would be fine under ideal conditions, meaning the mesh is stretched evenly on all sides, shooting through the centre and also shooting directly perpendicular through the screen.
Personally I don't think it's worth the risk.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:47 AM

Cool shoot through mesh

I've shot through mesh in my DB blind. Keep your shots close and you will be fine. I use Wasp Jak Hammers and have killed both whitetails and Antelope shooting through the mesh. Good luck to you!
Old 08-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Could you leave your shooting windows open when your not there to possibly condition deer to the openings?
Old 08-10-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Could you leave your shooting windows open when your not there to possibly condition deer to the openings?
I think that would be your best bet. Just remember to take them down before winter.... I forgot this year and came back to a bunch of splintered poles covered in ice...
Old 08-10-2014, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
Always leave your lanes open.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1795664_10152273462209974_796121066_n-1.jpg (72.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 08-10-2014, 09:46 AM

Lol thats cool pic sled thanks
Old 08-10-2014, 09:57 AM

shooting through these mesh screens has proven to work in already been suggested "ideal conditions"........its also proven to fail miserably.......
leaving your window open is my choice, deer moose elk adapt, we've been harvesting game for 100's of years meshless succesfully !!
good luck this season , look forward to your field pics !!!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Thanks for all the tips and that's a beautiful buck you have in front of your blind sled!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:43 PM

I remove the mesh and put black plastic bags where the holes will be. The bags are pinned by puting the solid windows back up. The deer get used to black holes so that when you do hunt out of them, you don't need the mesh back up.

Cheers

SS
Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 PM

I wear glasses but don't shoot with them as the nose rest part interferes with seeing my pins. Normally I pin up the mesh out of way but I had heard it didnt interfere so tried it on the sides I had a decent buck come walking by, could see it fine thru mesh with glasses on but when I removed the glasses I couldnt see it on most of the mesh camo pattern I could hear it walking in leaves not 15 yds away but could only catch a glimpse of it as it passed a lighter mottling pattern on mesh the rest I was totally blind to it. Won't have the mesh down again. Just stay back in the blind and they won't see you in the shadows
Gord