Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-10-2017, 06:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterfowler vmax View Post
I'm from Ontario, and I love coon hunting. Would be pretty cool if they started coming up this way
keep them back east, where they belong
Old 06-11-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Heard of raccoons around bonnyville 20-25 years ago, and as Dave said they are well know to be stowaways. As they are nocturnal, i think there are more than most people would guess but the occasional hard winter keeps them in check.
My gut says the high coyote population keeps them in check around Calgary.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Banned

Are coons native to Alberta? Seems like many of the rodents are making a comeback after the rabies out break in the 50's I beleive when many animals were poisoned. I've been hearing of a lot of skunks being sighted the last year or two and happened to see one down the simonette road two weeks ago. I made the mistake of not shooting it.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:56 PM

I've caught a couple coon here and there and the coyotes won't eat a skinned out coon. I've tried using their carcass for bait no takers. You'd be surprised where the coon pop up many folk don't know they have coon around. I caught coon in the middle of knowwhere. If you see sign you can catch coon. As for skunks... well there are also more that what a fellow thinks there is. Lots of skunks in Calgary.

Billl
Old 06-12-2017, 05:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill9044 View Post
I've caught a couple coon here and there and the coyotes won't eat a skinned out coon. I've tried using their carcass for bait no takers. You'd be surprised where the coon pop up many folk don't know they have coon around. I caught coon in the middle of knowwhere. If you see sign you can catch coon. As for skunks... well there are also more that what a fellow thinks there is. Lots of skunks in Calgary.

Billl
Not much for skunks up here. Seen the first one I've seen in about twenty years two weeks ago. I've never seen a raccoon in albeeria but that don't mean they're not here.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Not much for skunks up here. Seen the first one I've seen in about twenty years two weeks ago. I've never seen a raccoon in albeeria but that don't mean they're not here.
Seems like the Athabasca river is a major barrier for species. Lots of gophers, badgers, skunks etc, on one side of the river and next to nothing on the other. I doubt gophers will ever take hold on the north side but I'm sure the bigger critters will and do.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 AM

Coons were introduced on QCI many years ago, as a fur species. Didn't take them long to spread to all the Islands that make up the QCI area.

They have decimated the ground nesting birds & comb beaches from when the tide starts going out till it is all the way back in.

No real predators, other than Eagles, Bears.

Water between Islands didn't stop their spreading at all !

I know they are north of Westlock. Old trapper guy caught them along the Pembina.

Creek along the front of my place drains into that river & I've feared them showing up, due to my birds. So far I've lucked out....
Old 06-13-2017, 06:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Seems like the Athabasca river is a major barrier for species. Lots of gophers, badgers, skunks etc, on one side of the river and next to nothing on the other. I doubt gophers will ever take hold on the north side but I'm sure the bigger critters will and do.
For some reason I thought it was the pembina. I remember as a kid camping on the berland river and there being some kind of gophers to shoot. I'm thinking they where gophers or some kind of critter that lived in the ground.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 PM

I have seen tracks west of Lloydminister along creeks all spring and saw one north of Mannville yesterday in a wheat field.
Old 06-13-2017, 09:22 PM

Default coons in Alberta

They have been making there way here. A few years ago there was a lot of feed trucked into Alberta from Manitoba and Sask. The coons would make there home in the bales and therefore when feed was sold and loaded a one way ticket was had. I have heard folks talk about them being quite common sight around Eckville area. Have a hide on my wall waiting to turn it into a hat maybe. They are destructive rascals, they turn an oat bin into a litter box in no time

Buck12
Old 06-13-2017, 09:25 PM

The odd "colony" of coon around alliance and consort I can confirm. But seen the first one 20 years ago and the next sighting last year so they aren't thick by any means. Live in the old barns and don't bother anyone so I leave em be. I trap and don't notice many tracks. just like mink around here. Nice big specimens but few and far between so just leave em be. They always been here but not worth pursuing. Killam south to castor is where I refer to.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My gut says the high coyote population keeps them in check around Calgary.
They have no problem hiding from coyotes. Need big cottonwoods or old farmyards/barns
Old 06-27-2017, 07:09 PM

A guy i work with live trapped 8 coons in his barn then of course dispatched them. He brought the biggest one to work on a night shift for me to skin. He had it tanned. They were caught in Sturgeon County by the river. Much more common then one thinks.