Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-25-2017, 05:59 PM

Default Road to winefred

Im working near conklin and id like to try winefred lake tuesday morning. Ive seen many posts saying the road is terrible etc but id like to know if its marked? Can someone tell me where it starts? I looked at google maps there doesnt seem to be any roads near the lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2017, 06:33 PM

The roads are clearly marked.

If you're going just for the day I suggest winefred lake outfitters since it's much closer. Maybe 10-20 km past the Devon jackfish 1 plant.

Winefred lake lodge road starts after the Kirby airport. It's about 70 km to the Kirby airport from Conklin. Probably an extra 40 km or so past winefred lake outfitters.
Old 06-25-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
Im working near conklin and id like to try winefred lake tuesday morning. Ive seen many posts saying the road is terrible etc but id like to know if its marked? Can someone tell me where it starts? I looked at google maps there doesnt seem to be any roads near the lake.

For the road to the Lodge - Follow the road in past airstrip. (you will cross at the stop signs crossing the air strip) and keep going.

If you go to outfitter's camp it's not too bad - easy to find.

Keep in mind if you take road to lodge it's a goat trail and sketchy if it's been raining past the airport.

There really aren't any "turn offs" so you really can't get lost.
Old 06-25-2017, 07:39 PM

I dont want to be stepping on anyones toes etc. Is there a road thats not to the lodge or outfitters? Im not expecting success as i dont have a boat with me, im using this more as a scouting trip and to kill some time before i head up to the mac wednesday.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:40 PM

Look on google maps you will see the outfitters place on the SW corner of the lake, the lodge on south shore and then a bit to the east of the lodge beside the big slough you will see the road that goes to the public launch.

To get to the public launch you take the same road as to the lodge then keep going past their turnoff then left just before the grist lake airstrip. I believe the road is ok up till that last turn then from what I understand it can be a nightmare especially if it is wet. Everyone has told me 4x4 truck access only, hence why I haven't tried it in my Rav4 yet lol.

Not sure how shore fishing would be there I think it is just a small open area(based on google maps anyways).
Old 06-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Anywhere near the public launch to do an overnight camp(free, roughing it)?
Old 06-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
Anywhere near the public launch to do an overnight camp(free, roughing it)?
Not sure if there is anything at launch but there are campsites just down the road at grist lake. Not sure about fees.
Old 06-26-2017, 05:38 PM

I just tried to go into the public launch with my 4x4 truck and boat trailer fathers day weekend and it wasn't accessible. Was in there a few years ago but this year the road is very bad. Was very wet and huge ruts. Nearly stuck a couple times. Luckily we were able to get turned around and out of there. About a half km after the turn off at the airstrip it got ugly. A quad could've done it but not my truck.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhorn2 View Post
I dont want to be stepping on anyones toes etc. Is there a road thats not to the lodge or outfitters? Im not expecting success as i dont have a boat with me, im using this more as a scouting trip and to kill some time before i head up to the mac wednesday.

Did you make it out?
Old 06-29-2017, 11:12 AM

I made it to the area i found the lodge and grist lake as well. But it appeared i took the wrong trail for the boat launch. As it was so narrow i had to push bush with my truck. And it started pouring so i had to turn around. When i say turn around i mean back up the whole way out of the trail i was on. A fellow on the group here sent me a drop point after i got out of the area. The yellow star is where i had to give up appears i was in right area just wrong trail. Ill try again next set of days off