Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2017, 09:56 PM
Banned

Default Fishing around Peachland

I have a couple weeks of work in Summerland, just outside of Peachland and was wondering if anyone on the forum could give me any tips as to the fishing opportunity or lack there of within say about an hour of there? I'm thinking of bringing my atv, but I might bring my boat instead, but I can't bring both.

Any advice on the type of fish and type of tackle would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:46 PM

Might as well take the boat. You are a stones throw from Okanagan Lake.
Rainbows, Lakers or Char(can't rememba) and possibly the odd Kokanee. Take along something to get your gear down 30-40 ft at least. Might find some bows and Kokanee a little higher tho.Been a while for me but spent a lot of time on that lake when I was younger. Beautiful lake in itself. You will enjoy it. Ask away if you need more info.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:51 PM

We used to run a wedding band spinner with worm behind a gang troll(willow leaf,ford fender etc.) You can use drop weights or a dipsy diver if you don't have a downrigger.Hope this helps
Cheers
Old 06-28-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrfish View Post
Might as well take the boat. You are a stones throw from Okanagan Lake.
Rainbows, Lakers or Char(can't rememba) and possibly the odd Kokanee. Take along something to get your gear down 30-40 ft at least. Might find some bows and Kokanee a little higher tho.Been a while for me but spent a lot of time on that lake when I was younger. Beautiful lake in itself. You will enjoy it. Ask away if you need more info.
I've got downriggers to get me down, but the lake is a little long. Where I'm staying and working is just west of summerland and right where all the atv trails are, that's why I was thinking of taking the atv's. I've fished salmon and Char with downriggers but never rainbows, and I've always just fished for Kokanee with a little weight, a gang troll and a wedding band. I wouldn't mind hooking up with a decent rainbow on a downrigger though.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:05 PM

Sounds like you are set for the lake.Wish I could help ya with the Atv vs Boat choice. Haven't had the opportunity to do much on the trails in that area. Try an Apex behind a flasher or by itself in the 25 foot range for bows. Best bet would be earlier in the day. Bucktails on surface at a higher speed have worked in the past as well.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like you are set for the lake.Wish I could help ya with the Atv vs Boat choice. Haven't had the opportunity to do much on the trails in that area. Try an Apex behind a flasher or by itself in the 25 foot range for bows. Best bet would be earlier in the day. Bucktails on surface at a higher speed have worked in the past as well.
Watermelon, blue and silver, black and silver, and pink and silver, those are the colour of apex's I have.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:19 PM

Give em a shot. Cop car(Black&Silver)usually gets a few hits.Pick up something in orange if you can. I think most of mine are in the 4-5.5 inch range.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Watermelon, blue and silver, black and silver, and pink and silver, those are the colour of apex's I have.
Good choices-they all work. Don't forget the coyote spoons. I run 3-4" lures, sometimes bigger. Party girl, cop car, watermelon, chrome heck they all catch fish. Go deep though. Have a line at 80-100 and one at 40-50. Kokanee in the summer will be around 40+- feet. Wedding band tipped with maggot (if regs allow bait). I use a flasher with about 4-6' of leader behind it to the apex or coyote spoon. Works great for rainbows and lake trout. I'm more of a Shuswap guy so I match the salmon fry in there and it's summer time bliss
Old 06-28-2017, 11:29 PM

I fish the Shuswap a little more regularly nowadays. Not much difference in tactics between the two. I've caught Bull trout, Rainbows, Lakers and Kokanee all with the same rig using downriggers. Tough choice but either way I envy your position. Wish I was out there. Lol
Cheers
Old 06-28-2017, 11:31 PM
Banned

That's perfect, most of my apex's are 4".

Are there any holes or just find 150'+ of water and give it a shot?
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
That's perfect, most of my apex's are 4".

Are there any holes or just find 150'+ of water and give it a shot?
I always tuck into shore about 80' deep (or whatever my deepest rigger allows) and then head out to the deeper stufff. S turns is the key. Trout all tend to like that 1-1.5 mph speed in the summer. The s turns will speed up/slow down your lures. Pay attention and you can hone in on the best speed. Kokanee prefer bays for some reason.
Post some pics when you're done
Old 06-28-2017, 11:41 PM

I tend to look for structure. Like Wildwood said they could be deep. Most of the rainbows i've tied into were between 25 and 40 feet. I've caught my fill of Lakers so I tend to stay a little higher. A little exploring and you should find a few anyways.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:42 PM

I've always wanted to fish around rattlesnake island (just across the lake from the peach land boat launch). Beauty launch BTW
Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 PM

Where do you spend most of your time in the Shu Wild. We usually stay over in St.Ives or across the lake in Eagle Bay. Have had some really good days in that area. Heading that way 1st week of August.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Where do you spend most of your time in the Shu Wild. We usually stay over in St.Ives or across the lake in Eagle Bay. Have had some really good days in that area. Heading that way 1st week of August.
I spend it on sunnbrae road. Gonna be there same time as you. I fish near sicamous. I have no secrets on that lake so I'll share openly. Totem pole, marble point, old town bay. Oh man I can't wait. Black bayliner with tower. Jimmy rigged with 4 downriggers and rod holders. Look for me.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:00 AM

Default Little floaters...

It's my understanding that due to record lake levels, there may be issues with water quality. It would seem that with the water levels being beyond flood stage, some septic systems are being, um, flushed into the lake causing algae blooms. Bearing that in mind, I've heard the Kettle Valley Railway trails are awesome...
Peter
Old 06-29-2017, 06:19 AM

A little different, but you aren't far from Vaseaux Lake there. It has large and smallmouth in it, as well as big carp. No motors allowed though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 06-29-2017, 07:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Bam

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-29-2017, 07:45 AM

FYI on the sewage and algae bloom in Okanagan.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3556772/wa...okanagan-lake/

Based on the article it appears to be localized to the northern part of the lake.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 AM

it will depend on when you are going, i know right now because of the record high water, most if not all boat launches are closed still.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:33 AM
Banned

Well that kind of takes a bit of the wind out of my sails, hopefully it drains out soon as I was planning on going next week.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Well that kind of takes a bit of the wind out of my sails, hopefully it drains out soon as I was planning on going next week.
My buddies parents have a cabin right on the lake in Summerland and is next to the boat launch.

i know the lake is going down but they have A LOT of clean up to do.

he is heading down this weekend so i will see if i can get an update on the boat launch.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I spend it on sunnbrae road. Gonna be there same time as you. I fish near sicamous. I have no secrets on that lake so I'll share openly. Totem pole, marble point, old town bay. Oh man I can't wait. Black bayliner with tower. Jimmy rigged with 4 downriggers and rod holders. Look for me.
I hear ya. Looking forward to it as well. We fish the Shu arm from the narrows back to St Ives or Wildrose Bay mainly. West side of the Seymour past the log boom to the falls has been good for Rainbows as well. Haven't spent much time over where you are. Might have to come for a visit.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Banned

Anyone try osoyoos lake?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:15 AM

Osoyoos lake has some carp and bass. Vaseux lake is definitely worth checking out. The south end of the lake at Okanagan Falls is even fishable from shore next to the train trestle.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 PM

I've caught at both ends of canal through Penticton . years ago though . Rainbows at ok end and smallys at Skaha end .
Old 06-30-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
I've always wanted to fish around rattlesnake island (just across the lake from the peach land boat launch). Beauty launch BTW
That boat ramp is under 3 ft of water now and is closed . OK Lake is at all time record height , and all shoreline is a mess . Last report was that over 80% of all docks are damaged or a total right off .
Old 07-01-2017, 01:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjr View Post
That boat ramp is under 3 ft of water now and is closed . OK Lake is at all time record height , and all shoreline is a mess . Last report was that over 80% of all docks are damaged or a total right off .
I heard they are opening up the boat launches this weekend.

On a side note I decided to stop at the Shuswap and try my luck there for a couple days on my way to Summerland.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I heard they are opening up the boat launches this weekend.

On a side note I decided to stop at the Shuswap and try my luck there for a couple days on my way to Summerland.
I was there for five days last week, I seen quite a few boats on the lake every day (Okanogan), not the usual amount, but the launches were open, not much for a beach right now.
Old 07-04-2017, 08:48 AM
Banned

Default Update

Spent a couple days on the Shuswap and fishing was ok. We caught kokanee, lakers, and rainbow. Magic depth seemed to be 55ft for the trout, best colour was orange, and the hotspot seemed to be in the narrows. We never went in the salmon arm and not very far up the anstey arm. We launched in sorento at a small public launch and left our SUV parked there. All the fish were 3lbs and under.