Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-27-2017, 11:52 AM

Unhappy Advice for a fisher-child and a desperate dad

Ok, I'm coming hat-in-hand here.

My kid is crazy to go fishing.

My experience is limited to very frying-pan centric fishing in BC - I know the time of day on a specific lake and I can put a Len Thompson #8 red and white on a rod and cast from shore and pretty reliably get a nice fish for supper.

However, I tried taking my 6-year-old to the trout pond at the Bow Habitat Station, and although we saw lots of fish in there, we totally struck out this morning. And we were the only ones there.

We tried a small spoon, a spinner, a jig with a worm - and no interest at all. The trout wouldn't even come over for a sniff.

So, I guess my question is - what should I be using so that my kid can get some more immediate gratification?

I know you can't "order a bite" but it would be nice to give a 6-year-old the feeling of a fish on the line before late August when we can get out to BC.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Edit: To clarify - by "worm" - I meant one of those rubbery ones that go on jigs. There is a bait ban on this pond.

Last edited by remote; 06-27-2017 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:56 AM

Default Moulin Alta

I know that feeling, It's very hard to explain to a child that you won't always catch anything. I did finally get both my boys a couple Walleyes at PCR but it's more of a zoo than anything these days.

Good luck in your quest.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:00 PM

Take him to chain lakes or pine coulee I took my girl to that pond on Saturday and the chances there are slim to non they see way to many hooks there and they get pellet fed there from the green box on the dock we tried everything we could imagine but with so many people and so many hooks I see no positive outcome unless you tie a dry fly that looks like a pellet lol.both those lakes I mentioned are pretty easy.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:37 PM

Thanks to both of you!

Yes, I thought the fish might be pretty wary of hooks. I couldn't figure out what that green horn thing was. Makes sense now.

I appreciate the pine coulee / chain lakes suggestion. Does anyone know anything reliable to the north or west of the city? I'm on the north edge, so chain lakes is about an hour and 45 mins away. (A lot for a little kid).
Old 06-27-2017, 12:58 PM

I haven't fished there for years, but McLean Pond out by Bragg Creek used to be a good place to catch stocked rainbows.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:24 PM

For hatchery fish you can try this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Berkl...ets/738367.uts
Old 06-27-2017, 01:24 PM

if your just looking to CATCH em and not eat em...chestermere has always been a good go to for me and my kids...prob 20 mins from the nw with stony trail.makes the kids happy to hook on an ugly old jackfish
for the trout, I have a lot(somewhat/sometimes) luck with orange and brass spoons...if those arent working, green and black with brass or blue and silver.
mccleans pond is really iffy....asians fish it right out early and keep every damn thing they catch
good luck with getting the boy to catch some fish
I find that I dont even care if I catch any...as long as the kids do
Randy
Old 06-27-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remote View Post
Ok, I'm coming hat-in-hand here.

My kid is crazy to go fishing.

My experience is limited to very frying-pan centric fishing in BC - I know the time of day on a specific lake and I can put a Len Thompson #8 red and white on a rod and cast from shore and pretty reliably get a nice fish for supper.

However, I tried taking my 6-year-old to the trout pond at the Bow Habitat Station, and although we saw lots of fish in there, we totally struck out this morning. And we were the only ones there.

We tried a small spoon, a spinner, a jig with a worm - and no interest at all. The trout wouldn't even come over for a sniff.

So, I guess my question is - what should I be using so that my kid can get some more immediate gratification?

I know you can't "order a bite" but it would be nice to give a 6-year-old the feeling of a fish on the line before late August when we can get out to BC.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have!

Edit: To clarify - by "worm" - I meant one of those rubbery ones that go on jigs. There is a bait ban on this pond.
I can guarantee fish at my secret spot. Lots of perch. Love seeing kids catching fish. Just need to find a time. Could do a couple hours either tonight to tomorrow night. Otherwise let's chat via PM and before the summer you will have had a few outings.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-27-2017, 01:38 PM

Stocked trout can be surprisingly tough to catch at times, they can be very selective and sometimes you need fast reactions to set the hook.
Some of the tricks I did when my kids were young

Cast for them at least every once in a while

If they are bored let them wander a bit but you keep fishing (for me the wife was around too so it was easier to keep track) but when you hook a fish call them over and have them reel it in. If you are solo it will get tricky maybe “share” the rod but again you never reel in a fish.

With stocked trout it’s important to have a selection of bait, corn, power bait and cheese have all saved the day one time or another oddly “natural” bait is surprisingly inconsistent.

Bobbers, the visual aspect of fishing with a bobber help keeps kids attention.

If your kid is a, I must cast at all times sort, a casting bubble and a fly is a good option for keeping it easy.

Keep it fun, the time with you is more important to your kid than the fish, and keep at it.

The best fishing partners are the ones you raised yourself.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I can guarantee fish at my secret spot.
LOL Far from secret, Sundance. But it is private. Good on you for inviting.
Old 06-27-2017, 02:03 PM

Thank you everyone! I've got some great ideas now. I'll head out to McLean Pond soon and also out to Allen Bill Pond if it's not all fished out by now.

My son loves playing "lumberjack" in the legal cutting areas on the Elbow road as well, so it will be a fun day. He even loves buying the permits online.

Appreciate the bait suggestions too, as well as the child-based fishing methodology suggestions.

You guys rock.
Old 06-27-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remote View Post
Thank you everyone! I've got some great ideas now. I'll head out to McLean Pond soon and also out to Allen Bill Pond if it's not all fished out by now.

My son loves playing "lumberjack" in the legal cutting areas on the Elbow road as well, so it will be a fun day. He even loves buying the permits online.

Appreciate the bait suggestions too, as well as the child-based fishing methodology suggestions.

You guys rock.
Allen Bill Pond is gone during 2013 flood.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:28 PM

I'd take Sundance up on his offer for sure.

Beyond that, I throw about 3 things at hatchery trout... a Len Thompson, a Panther Martin, and worm either under a bobber or on the bottom. Some ponds the fish just don't hit lures very well, for instance I have caught several hundred trout out of Mound Red on worms and other assorted bait, but I doubt I have caught 10 trout on lures of any sort. Other ponds I fish regularly are the exact opposite. If your fishing a new trout pond I'd make sure you have some live bait as well as some spoons and spinners.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
I can guarantee fish at my secret spot. Lots of perch. Love seeing kids catching fish. Just need to find a time. Could do a couple hours either tonight to tomorrow night. Otherwise let's chat via PM and before the summer you will have had a few outings.
Yup! If you don't take Sundance up on his offer you're crazy!!

Old 06-27-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Shhh.

Don't want my catch rate to drop below 50/hr.

Caught 6000 off the dock in the last 2 months. Population not impacted.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Another trick I find with taking kids fishing is the second they get a smidge of boredom in their words or body language is to have another activity to do as well as snack time.

Buy a small trophy and say any time someone goes fishing the winner hold the trophy in their room.

Having a little tackle box that is theirs is good also.

Young kids may have 15 minutes of patience fishing. More as they get older. Don't force kids to stick it out.

You don't want fishing to be assiciated with bad times.
Old 06-27-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Another trick I find with taking kids fishing is the second they get a smidge of boredom in their words or body language is to have another activity to do as well as snack time.

Buy a small trophy and say any time someone goes fishing the winner hold the trophy in their room.

Having a little tackle box that is theirs is good also.

Young kids may have 15 minutes of patience fishing. More as they get older. Don't force kids to stick it out.

You don't want fishing to be assiciated with bad times.
Yep, I've sold many an early fishing trip on the promise of a wiener roast.

My kids both like fishing but I've extended plenty of ice fishing trips by playing Uno or reading them books in the truck while the tip ups do the fishing once they are bored of fishing.

This afternoon me and my youngest, 5 years old, tossed out some bait and played Go Fish on a riverside picnic table, it started raining and we moved to a spot where we could play cards in the truck and watch the rods. She caught 3 walleye, I got two and a pike, and we both enjoyed making the most of a rainy afternoon.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:03 PM

take him to crawling valley, lots of walleyes to catch. my dad took me there when i was small, i could cast very far but i still caught lots.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
This!!!
All day long..
Bring his swimming trunks as well...
Old 07-07-2017, 03:42 PM

Default I was just thinking of the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
It is not a secret spot when you live in Sundance area. I was invited there last Perch tournament. Lots of fun

Last edited by ABFishFan; 07-07-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesthe3rd View Post
take him to crawling valley, lots of walleyes to catch. my dad took me there when i was small, i could cast very far but i still caught lots.
This^^^^
Learn how to tie and rig a slip bobber and put a 1/4 ounce jig tipped with frozen minnow down 12" off bottom. Steady action right off the docks in the marina There are decent fish to be caught including large pike. Kids love the slip bobber.
Who am I kidding- so do I. Best way to dead stick above the salad with casting ease (no tangled, clip on bobber mess)